High School What To Do...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 1, 2012
So Im captain on my schools cheer team and a week ago the only guy on our team quit the squad. I was kinda glad he did because he would always have a bad attitude about everything and would never actually run or condiotion with us and would only complain about how he should be on Varsity. Our squad is horrible by the means of only an extension prep in each group, 3/4's of the team has never cheered in their life, and now that he left we can only have 2 stunt groups instead of three. Also, the other girls on the team are sad that he left and some are even considering quiting. How can I change my squad to be better. I know that I am only captain but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one running things. A lot of people are out of shape and not flexible so I try and condition them and stretch more but it just ends up with them complaining. How can I motivate the other girls to stay on the squad? Other captains what would you do? And is there any way and I condition and stretch them while there having fun? Thanks it would mean so much to me!!

The hardest thing to do is inspire motivation! I would talk to the coach about having a team meeting. The coach needs to tell it straight. Is the team happy with only having an extension prep? Do they like being out of shape and inflexible? Odds are, they're probably not. They need to realize that hard work goes into cheering. They need to realize they need to step up and have a good season, or complain, have a bad attitude, and watch the team crumble.
I personally hate running and conditioning, but I do it to better the team and better myself. It sucks, but it pays off in the end!
If the coach is out of the picture or doesn't step up, have the team meeting yourself (preferably under someones unbiased supervision/mediation, teenage girls can have a lot of drama!) Talk calmly and impartial. Do NOT call anyone out. Say it's unfortunate that the guy decided to quit, but now is the time to come together as a team and be great! It's time to do or die.
ALSO, if the team does decide to step it up (yay!) keep motivating people! When we have team running, I would always encourage people to keep going! Offer to help people with cheers/motions outside of practice. Team camaraderie is huge. Even if you don't like someone on the team, you have to put it aside and respect them as a teammate.

Sorry it's a lot of advice, but I've been in this situation before. Time to step up and be great! Good luck :)

Ok I had the same problem with dance the same guy problem and his little girlsfriends wanna leave cause he did!! Has a captain I had a meeting with everyone on them team and make it very clear I'm not playing this BS I'm leaving cause he did game NO I told everyone if you wanna leave leave just know you will be replace in a heart beat and those girls left so me and my co captain Went back to are tryout list and pick the next good people that didn't make the team and actually turn out better for the team!! We also make nationals and took 3rd!!!!! good luck with everything !!! (;

Ok I had the same problem with dance the same guy problem and his little girlsfriends wanna leave cause he did!! Has a captain I had a meeting with everyone on them team and make it very clear I'm not playing this BS I'm leaving cause he did game NO I told everyone if you wanna leave leave just know you will be replace in a heart beat and those girls left so me and my co captain Went back to are tryout list and pick the next good people that didn't make the team and actually turn out better for the team!! We also make nationals and took 3rd!!!!! good luck with everything !!! (;
Omg that's awesome! Thank you!!

Back