High School What Tumbling Equipment Would You Need If...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
...you had to coach at a high school program if you have no access to a nearby tumbling gym (but could pay to bring someone in). Not just the bare minimum, but EVERY piece of equipment?

I have always wondered about this.

I don't think I've ever heard of a school with anything more than a regular cheer floor. Maybe a wedge mat. My cheer team didn't have anything but one strip of mat, and our gymnastics team had nothing. They went to a local facility to train.

We have standard mats/cheer floor and a wedge. That's all. My kids take tumbling in a gym where more extensive equipment is available (Tumble Track, crash pits, etc.)

Last edited:
The first things that come to mind is a tumble track, octagons, wedge mats.. ACTUAL cheer mats, not just the ones you use in phys Ed.

I saw a cheer team in a different section than mine had a tumble track purchased for them by their AD. So jealous I can't even explain...

The first things that come to mind is a tumble track, octagons, wedge mats.. ACTUAL cheer mats, not just the ones you use in phys Ed.

I saw a cheer team in a different section than mine had a tumble track purchased for them by their AD. So jealous I can't even explain...
I saw that on Twitter... MacArthur? I was so jealous. The fact that the AD even cared enough to buy them one is crazy.

Would you use the equipment you listed to work tumbling drills during practice?

ETA: I've compiled a list of stuff (I do this for fun), but I'm not sure if everything on it is needed.
Cheer & Tumbling Equipment - Google Slides

Last edited:
This scenario was exactly my school. We had a full set of mats and a "crash pad" aka this red thing:
ab83595ef0523579234f6163d805188b.jpg

We threw all of our skills on that (with those thin blue mats over it) before we threw them on the hard floor. I really loved it bc I could completely face plant and it wouldn't hurt lol. I don't think a lack of equipment hindered our tumbling growth at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This scenario was exactly my school. We had a full set of mats and a "crash pad" aka this red thing:
ab83595ef0523579234f6163d805188b.jpg

We threw all of our skills on that (with those thin blue mats over it) before we threw them on the hard floor. I really loved it bc I could completely face plant and it wouldn't hurt lol. I don't think a lack of equipment hindered our tumbling growth at all!

Wow. The Orbiter is definitely something I would get to go with that.

...you had to coach at a high school program if you have no access to a nearby tumbling gym (but could pay to bring someone in). Not just the bare minimum, but EVERY piece of equipment?

I have always wondered about this.

We only have a large wedge mat that was purchased by our AD, but the tumbling instructors we use bring in equipment for classes - inflatable tumble track, air floor, octagon and other cheer mats etc. I think the tumble track and wedge mat would be two best things to own for a team if it was possible!

We only have a large wedge mat that was purchased by our AD, but the tumbling instructors we use bring in equipment for classes - inflatable tumble track, air floor, octagon and other cheer mats etc. I think the tumble track and wedge mat would be two best things to own for a team if it was possible!
Wow! How long does it take for them to set all of them up?

We had a full set of 9 mats, some piano mags, wedges, and a pac man. Our gymnastics team also had a spring floor (only part of it was set up when there wasn't a meet), although we rarely got to use it.

We had a full set of 9 mats, some piano mags, wedges, and a pac man. Our gymnastics team also had a spring floor (only part of it was set up when there wasn't a meet), although we rarely got to use it.

What are piano mats? I've never heard the term.

Back