College Where To Tryout?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 17, 2011
I'm applying to college, and although I don't have to cheer in college, I really want to. A lot of the colleges I'm looking at are strictly co-ed stunting, and I am 5'7 and muscularly built so I really don't think anyone will be putting me in the air anytime soon. I am also worried about tumbling requirements, I have a standing tuck and a ROBHS layout.
I'm applying at University of Arizona, Arizona State, University of Nevada: Las Vegas, and Florida Gulf Coast.
Does anyone know what my odds of making it at any of those universities is?
Is there anywhere anyone recommend I take a look at and consider?

Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

University of Arizona: http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/w-cheer/spec-rel/cheer-tryouts.html
Arizona State: http://thesundevils.cstv.com/genrel/asu-cheer-intro.html (the website isn't specific about tryouts but it's all girl)
University of Nevada - Las Vegas: http://www.unlvrebels.com/trads/cheer/tryout.html (this website doesn't look like it's been updated for a while but it does have try out info and you only need a round off hand tuck for tumbling)

Hope this helps, a little research and contacting the coaches will help too :)

University of Arizona: http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/w-cheer/spec-rel/cheer-tryouts.html
Arizona State: http://thesundevils.cstv.com/genrel/asu-cheer-intro.html (the website isn't specific about tryouts but it's all girl)
University of Nevada - Las Vegas: http://www.unlvrebels.com/trads/cheer/tryout.html (this website doesn't look like it's been updated for a while but it does have try out info and you only need a round off hand tuck for tumbling)

Hope this helps, a little research and contacting the coaches will help too :)
Thank you very much for all the links! I really appreciate it. :)

Take some co-ed stunting lessons this year. We had a girl on our team who was 5'8" and a great flyer. Her stunt partner was about 5'5", but a tank....they looked funny b/c she was taller, but they were a great partnership!

My old flyer was shorter then you, but super muscular. She ran 7-10 miles almost every day. Absolutely amazing flyer, once she got up there I felt no weight at all. She weighed between 125-130ish. I did have to relearn how I did a lot of stuff (needed much better technique), but it was totally worth it and I am a much better partner stunter now. I agree with @MissBee, try out partner stunting with someone who cares more about the girls determination then her weight. Once you get the hang of it, you can probably be a MEAN second level for pyramids which is waaay more important then the little lump at the top :p

SFA small coed, NCA D1 2011 Champs. Out of state fees waived!
SFA? Oh gosh hahaha.. theres no way I would ever make it there in a billion years! They are insane!

My old flyer was shorter then you, but super muscular. She ran 7-10 miles almost every day. Absolutely amazing flyer, once she got up there I felt no weight at all. She weighed between 125-130ish. I did have to relearn how I did a lot of stuff (needed much better technique), but it was totally worth it and I am a much better partner stunter now. I agree with @MissBee, try out partner stunting with someone who cares more about the girls determination then her weight. Once you get the hang of it, you can probably be a MEAN second level for pyramids which is waaay more important then the little lump at the top :p

Take some co-ed stunting lessons this year. We had a girl on our team who was 5'8" and a great flyer. Her stunt partner was about 5'5", but a tank....they looked funny b/c she was taller, but they were a great partnership!

^^ Thanks guys! I might just try that! :)

SFA? Oh gosh hahaha.. theres no way I would ever make it there in a billion years! They are insane!

^^ Thanks guys! I might just try that! :)

Well....my daughter thought that back in 08 when she was trying out for lg coed. it was a long shot, but she went for it. If you have a tuck and a layout, and strong basing skills..you would be just right for the Small Coed team. Go to one of their clinics and work out with the team!

As my daughter says...Believe! You never know what you can do...until you try!

I'm applying to college, and although I don't have to cheer in college, I really want to. A lot of the colleges I'm looking at are strictly co-ed stunting, and I am 5'7 and muscularly built so I really don't think anyone will be putting me in the air anytime soon. I am also worried about tumbling requirements, I have a standing tuck and a ROBHS layout.
I'm applying at University of Arizona, Arizona State, University of Nevada: Las Vegas, and Florida Gulf Coast.
Does anyone know what my odds of making it at any of those universities is?
Is there anywhere anyone recommend I take a look at and consider?

Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

I do not know much about those schools, but would be willing to help you look into them. I just wanted to say it warms my heart to see you doing this the correct way, picking your schools first, not applying to schools strictly for cheerleading. trust me, going the route of "I went here for my major, but cheerleading was an added bonus" will benefit you more than you'll ever know in the future.

I do not know much about those schools, but would be willing to help you look into them. I just wanted to say it warms my heart to see you doing this the correct way, picking your schools first, not applying to schools strictly for cheerleading. trust me, going the route of "I went here for my major, but cheerleading was an added bonus" will benefit you more than you'll ever know in the future.
Aw really? That would be really nice! I just don't want you going out of your way or anything to find out info on them. Like do you know anyone on those teams?
I totally agree with you about applying to colleges first, I think its foolish to go to a college strictly for a sport, because there is always a chance you will get injured, or you wont make the team, or you wont like the team, ect.

Aw really? That would be really nice! I just don't want you going out of your way or anything to find out info on them. Like do you know anyone on those teams?
I totally agree with you about applying to colleges first, I think its foolish to go to a college strictly for a sport, because there is always a chance you will get injured, or you wont make the team, or you wont like the team, ect.

no, not particularly, but i'm pretty good at finding the ins and outs of things like this :)

okay, well 3 of them have info right on college cheer guide (University of Arizona, Arizona State, and Florida Gulf Coast.)
University of Arizona only has a large coed, and they don't compete (don't know if that matters, but if you're looking at teams that don't require you to fly, this one is probably out)
Arizona State has a small coed (which is similar to the small coed of allstars, except I think in the numbers of guys) and they compete at UCA.
Florida Gulf Coast has an all girl team, but they don't compete (again, don't know if competition is an important factor for you or not)
I have all the stuff saved in a word doc, I'll PM it to you. or you can take a look at it yourself at www.collegecheerguide.com

hope this helps! :) don't forget to put school first!

okay, well 3 of them have info right on college cheer guide (University of Arizona, Arizona State, and Florida Gulf Coast.)
University of Arizona only has a large coed, and they don't compete (don't know if that matters, but if you're looking at teams that don't require you to fly, this one is probably out)
Arizona State has a small coed (which is similar to the small coed of allstars, except I think in the numbers of guys) and they compete at UCA.
Florida Gulf Coast has an all girl team, but they don't compete (again, don't know if competition is an important factor for you or not)
I have all the stuff saved in a word doc, I'll PM it to you. or you can take a look at it yourself at www.collegecheerguide.com

hope this helps! :) don't forget to put school first!

Yes it actually did! Ill keep all of this in mind while applying and I'm saving the document for future reference. :) Thanks so much I really appreciate your help!

Back