Whip Help.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2013
I've searched and can't find anything on whips. I want to put a whip into my tumbling pass for my level 4 team and mine are always too slow so they're layouts not whips. I need drills or any tips to speed them up and to get them perfect so I can tumble out of them

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I have problems with this too. It just has to feel like a backhandspring. One of my coaches told me to reach like a handspring, bring your hands to your side like a lay, and then back up like, really fast. That helps me get it over quickly instead of just throwing a low layout.

Ok some simple things to think about. The position where your feet land in your round off or bhs depending on the skill prior to the whip controls a lot! you want your feet in front of your body that way you can rebound back to a flat back position. if you feel you are doing layouts your feet are behind you! Now for your arms, reach back as far as you can! whips are very long skills! Allow your hips to come over. Do not pull your toes over until your hips have cleared center! once you spot the floor you can start to hollow and position your feet for the next skill

Thank you @Learn2TWIST for giving a great informative reply. Now I am free to simply leave the smart...butt comment that first came to me reading the thread, without feeling compelled to write an informational piece as well. --

"Psssh! I wish more kids would have your issue @seein_starz, where your whips that look like layouts! It's a heck of a-lot easier than fixing the kids who's layouts that look like whips!"
...Alright fine! I'll add my two cents too. Practicing whips on the spring floor first can be a little intimidating. Not to mention, when first trying them, if the technique of your takeoff and landing is still a little rough, high repetitions of whips can be a real pain in the shins! If you have access to one, training whips on a tumble trak or a rod floor will drastically reduce the amount of stress placed on your muscles, bones, joints, and connective tissues from each repetition. In turn, this will let you take more attempts at the skill, allow you to focus on making corrections, and will keep you safer in the process.

One of my favorite whip drills is to handstand-snap-up (down) to a whip, from a spotting block, on the tumble trak. By snapping down from a spotting block, it allows you to focus on getting your feet in front of you, while picking your chest up and stretching back. This will help you get into the correct takeoff position for your whip!

Anyways, I hope this help!
-Coach Matt

Back