Why Is It A Flyer Has To Have The Left Leg In The Air?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 15407

*I apologize if this is in the wrong section! I tried my best!*
So I'm wondering why all flyers stand on their right and are flexible on their left. We got somewhat deducted for having one stunt go up (rec) in a right heelstretch. (It was in the back, and everyone else was dancing in the front) We didn't get deducted, technically, we just didn't get points for it.
So why is it you have to use your left leg? Is it because of the main base thing?

So I'm wondering why all flyers stand on their right and are flexible on their left. We got somewhat deducted for having one stunt go up (rec) in a right heelstretch. (It was in the back, and everyone else was dancing in the front) We didn't get deducted, technically, we just didn't get points for it.
So why is it you have to use your left leg? Is it because of the main base thing?

I'm not aware of a requirement for either leg. Standing on the right seems to be more traditional, however.

Back when i started it was not uncommon to see people stand on the left leg. Actually a team in my area always had their stunts proportional. Half would stand on left and half on right...it has definitely died out though.

There's no requirement to stand on either leg. I'm guessing you didn't get any points for it because the rest of you were dancing in the front. I don't know what scoresheets were being used, but most require a certain minimum percentage of the team to perform a skill in order to get credit - for instance, for JamBrands, "For DIFFICULTY, ALL the skills are to be performed by the MAJORITY
(half plus 1) of the team. If the skills are NOT performed by the majority
of the team, then the score will be placed in that respective bracket." [http://www.thejambrands.com/JAMScore/Cheer/Grids/1112JAMBrandsAllStarScoringGrids.pdf]

So if your team did that one heel stretch while the rest of you were dancing, and the only other stunts during the rest of the routine were two-legged preps performed by a majority of the team, your difficulty score would fall into the two-legged prep level. (The one heel stretch, if performed correctly and if it added to the routine, could add to your stunt overall impression score, just not to the stunt difficulty score.)

There's no requirement to stand on either leg. I'm guessing you didn't get any points for it because the rest of you were dancing in the front. I don't know what scoresheets were being used, but most require a certain minimum percentage of the team to perform a skill in order to get credit - for instance, for JamBrands, "For DIFFICULTY, ALL the skills are to be performed by the MAJORITY
(half plus 1) of the team. If the skills are NOT performed by the majority
of the team, then the score will be placed in that respective bracket." [http://www.thejambrands.com/JAMScore/Cheer/Grids/1112JAMBrandsAllStarScoringGrids.pdf]

So if your team did that one heel stretch while the rest of you were dancing, and the only other stunts during the rest of the routine were two-legged preps performed by a majority of the team, your difficulty score would fall into the two-legged prep level. (The one heel stretch, if performed correctly and if it added to the routine, could add to your stunt overall impression score, just not to the stunt difficulty score.)
Its was the ending of the routine, a stunt went up for the last "5678" and yea. Thanks for an answer ^_^

Aw, she did fine here. We should all know that a 13 year old doesn't necessarily mean it when they post YAGE.

My question is what does YAGE mean? My 16-yr-old gamer doesn't know either. I Googled and could only find Yet Another Grand Exit or Yet Another Gameboy Emulator. Want to be up on my terms here. Thanks.

I really do want to know, too.

My question is what does YAGE mean? My 16-yr-old gamer doesn't know either. I Googled and could only find Yet Another Grand Exit or Yet Another Gameboy Emulator. Want to be up on my terms here. Thanks.

I really do want to know, too.

:)

First gym my cp went to flew on other leg. Only one around here who did it and it was only because the coaches were lefty and it was easier for them to teach the kids that way. When we switched gyms my daughter went from being a secondary base to a main. I think it makes it harder for the kids who want to cheer on school teams because it's the exact opposite of what they were being taught in Allstars. Also made it a little challenging when we first switched to a new gym.

I learned all my skills with the right leg in the air, so thats why I was wondering! I'm curious why it is that way?

A long time ago, a bunch of coaches had a meeting and decided that flying on the left leg would be better for the sport. You can google the documents from the meeting if you search "cheer congress constitution"
I'll look that up! I'm so angry at myself for learning all my flexibility stuff on my right leg! Well, i guess that means more stretching for me! Haha

It's a valid question!
So, as mentioned, there's no requirement. I cheered in HS and college back in the dark ages of the 90s. In HS you had to fly on either leg, as we would make the routines symmetrical. In college, it was coed, so we all few on our right leg.
My guess would be that because most people are right handed, they are stronger on their right side....so, it made sense for the male bases to have the majority of the weight in their right hand and for the female flyers to have their stronger leg as their post leg. Just my thoughts.

Back