College Will someone explain college qualification videos?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
I am just curious. Why have them?

Because there's not enough money or interest to have qualifying competitions around the country.

Because there's not enough money or interest to have qualifying competitions around the country.

Does that seem a little dated? The person with the best video editing skills (and videos are not publicly released) will be the winner? Or the one who has the best idea of how a video should be produced?

BUT congrats to Alabama for winning said contest with unknown criteria.

I don't know how but I accidentally closed it. Open thread again.

Does that seem a little dated? The person with the best video editing skills (and videos are not publicly released) will be the winner? Or the one who has the best idea of how a video should be produced?

BUT congrats to Alabama for winning said contest with unknown criteria.

I didn't make up the rules. And it's not like it's been way different in previous years.

But what would you propose as an alternative when what I said above is true?

I didn't make up the rules. And it's not like it's been way different in previous years.

But what would you propose as an alternative when what I said above is true?

NCA only hands out paid bids to nationals to teams that attend camp. You compete against them at camp to win the paid bids. (well, circo 2007... is it still in place?). If you do not attend camp qualifying for nationals does require a video, but at no point is it for money or placement, just to prove you are skilled enough to come (I will guess a legacy insurance thing... but that isnt such a big deal).

This video qualification helps determine final placement. If you have the best team but did NOT make the best video you run a chance of going to prelims and having a bad day. I don't care how good a team you are, the smart move is only to compete once if you have to. Less risk of injury, less chance of something messing up. It is like asking a team to win a football game twice or once to be the BCS champion, what would they chose?

BUT, I digress...

If you are going to do college qualification videos then you need to:

Clearly outline (with time contraints) what is to be shown. You don't have to dictate skills, but from doing many years of videos at Tech we always placed highly because we were smart and creative with video, not because we were great (let me tell you which I would have rather been).

Release videos and scoring placements so people better understand the decisions and can rank and compete the videos themselves.

Like I said... if one teams cheerleading is better than anothers, why does not showing off their video hinder how well they place?

I would love to see inexpensive regonial events. Hosted by a university; sponsored by Varsity (UCA/NCA). One day type events on a convient day (this would take the most planning). Not so much a competition as in awards, but rankings similar to preseason rankings that I think these Qualification Videos loosely represents. Not choreographed routines either. Solely like Stunt (but not actually Stunt) where each team must have the same exact skills in each category on the scoresheet. Pretty much just a complusory competition. It might be boring the first year, but eventually it could be a way to keep the "Spirit Squads" alive and healthy without the unknown of qualification videos that never get published.

At the end of the "Stunt" style regional complusory competition you hand out bids from within the region, maybe not necessarily based on squad type. Also, that gives everyone the ability to see what they are up against while still being hush hush about their choreography and skills not shown in the complusory competition.

This would also help with camp. Camp could become more orientated towards actual crowdleading skills and stunting skills and less about a competition to get a bid to Nationals. The college cheerleading community has kind of lost the "cheerLEADING" aspect of our "sport." Focus has been put on that one big end-of-year competition and has somewhat left behind the basics of cheerleading.

The time table would be:
May/June - tryouts
July/August - camps
Mid-October - UCA Regional Compulsory Competitions
Mid-December - NCA Regional Compulsory Competitions
January - UCA Nationals
April - NCA Nationals

yeah, i will say besides a bid i dont see a reason for a competitive squad to go to camp (probably why they give them out at camp) seeing as the best programs have athletes who are instructors as said camps. its not that the camps do a bad job, its just that for most top programs it can be a bit of going through the motions (like when an entire program already knows all the cheers and chants and has a competitive routine before you get there).

I dont think the video editing has anything to do with it. My college hasnt had to submit a tape for quite sometime...(Here is the last one I remember; ) but I remember our coach said that the video had to start with everyones feet on the ground and end when everyone was on the ground (So you couldnt edit out mishaps) She could have lied, or it could have changed since then, but that was my impression.

Also, you have the option of going to camp to get your bid instead of a video. I hated making videos, it was time consuming to perfect skills that early in the season and took away from us preparing for our games or practicing our comp stunts.

I might add, I went to an NCA school, maybe UCA is diff.

I dont think the video editing has anything to do with it. My college hasnt had to submit a tape for quite sometime...(Here is the last one I remember; ) but I remember our coach said that the video had to start with everyones feet on the ground and end when everyone was on the ground (So you couldnt edit out mishaps) She could have lied, or it could have changed since then, but that was my impression.

Also, you have the option of going to camp to get your bid instead of a video. I hated making videos, it was time consuming to perfect skills that early in the season and took away from us preparing for our games or practicing our comp stunts.

I might add, I went to an NCA school, maybe UCA is diff.

I don't think you can get bids with videos anymore at NCA, but I know when I cheered at Tech we always placed high in the video (I think we won one year) because of our editing and knowledge of how to frame shots (the video department at our AA did it all for us). Even if your feet have to start on the ground doesn't mean you can't frame in new and creative ways, and great music, have nice graphics. The fact that Tech beat out all these other schools in the video... but we were barely able to finish top 5 even on our best years shows me the video isn't about cheerleading.

If nothing else, all entries should be released.

As of the beginning of the summer, You coudl still submit a tape for NCA

Paid bids I meant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sometimes they do get released. I know that UK has released some of theirs in the past and I just found Purdue's for this year on their facebook page. I know that they made a jump from NCA to UCA so this is their first year having to make a video.

I think they should be released, but not before Nationals. Jomo said he'd put Kentucky's up in January.

Back