All-Star Worlds Stories

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

scared0005.gif

I'd suggest you never visit Chicago or New York then (no offense to Chi-town, my hubby's hometown- or to New Yorker's- but my experiences in those busier cities are quite different than the ones from the South where I live). People looked at me in serious confusion when I'd thank them for bagging my groceries, people didn't hold the doors open for others and never thanked me when I did, etc. etc.
It doesn't mean jack squat other than they weren't raised to say "yes ma'am/sir no ma'am/sir", etc. No need to take offense.

If people were looking at you in confusion it was probably the accent, not the fact that you said thank you. I get a lot of comments on my accent, and I know you North Carolinians have a much stronger accent than I do. :p I say thank you to people all day every day and no one thinks I'm weird for it. Not sure where in Chicago your hubby is from, but it sure isn't this part. If you didn't say thank you at the grocery store they'd probably look at you like you were crazy and say "Hm. You're welcome..." Is he from the south side? Now they're rude. Baaaaaaaaahahahaha just kidding.

OK carry on. Sorry I don't have a Worlds story for the thread...maybe next year. :(

If people were looking at you in confusion it was probably the accent, not the fact that you said thank you. I get a lot of comments on my accent, and I know you North Carolinians have a much stronger accent than I do. :p I say thank you to people all day every day and no one thinks I'm weird for it. Not sure where in Chicago your hubby is from, but it sure isn't this part. If you didn't say thank you at the grocery store they'd probably look at you like you were crazy and say "Hm. You're welcome..." Is he from the south side? Now they're rude. Baaaaaaaaahahahaha just kidding.

OK carry on. Sorry I don't have a Worlds story for the thread...maybe next year. :(
He's from the suburbs actually (Addison and Hanover Park when he was very young and his parents first moved to Chicago and Elgin where his parents now live). Then of course he has siblings and cousins living anywhere from Shaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Oak Park, and St. Charles (where I worked when we lived there for about 7 months).

We've (you and I) had this exact discussion before, lol :p His family has lived there for over 30 years and the experiences and stories I mentioned come from him and his family, not just me. Certainly not everyone there is that way and vice verse for here- but he and his family have said numerous times how they've been blown away by how much "nicer" in general people are in the South- and get this, especially to minorities :eek: - (they're Hispanic). Now that one kind of blew me away, but his father has expressed retiring down here once he's done there bc of the difference in culture. He works in the city as an engineer for a major hotel.

As far as the accent, I'm proud to say I barely have one! Yes I'm ready for the hate about that statement :help: but when I was younger and first moved here from Florida, I knew so many people automatically judged Southerners for being "dumber" (for lack of a better word) the heavier their accent was. When I lived in AK I remember people being shocked I was from the South bc I didn't have an "accent"- now my sister on the other hand.... :oops: lol.

Maybe next year you'll get to see for yourself. ;)

I definitely agree that it's a huge cultural thing based on where you're from. I'm from Chicago (born on the south side and now I live in the nearby suburbs) and I wouldn't say people are rude, but people are much more brisk and wanting to get in and out of places quickly without a lot of conversation. When I visit other cities, especially further south, people definitely move more slowly and want to chit chat more. It's always surprising and takes getting used to and I'm sure when you're used to that, the way things work in places like Chicago, etc seem snippy and rude.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Exactly! That's really a much better way of saying it I think. :) Having lived in many different states (including IL) and having family in so many different states, I totally get that- on both accounts. That's why I said I learned to adapt bc I realized that was the case- not just that people who live there are automatically rude by association, lol. I just think that sometimes other people don't quite realize that and automatically equate it with rudeness- like perhaps the poster to whom I originally replied.

He's from the suburbs actually (Addison and Hanover Park when he was very young and his parents first moved to Chicago and Elgin where his parents now live). Then of course he has siblings and cousins living anywhere from Shaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Oak Park, and St. Charles (where I worked when we lived there for about 7 months).

We've (you and I) had this exact discussion before, lol :p His family has lived there for over 30 years and the experiences and stories I mentioned come from him and his family, not just me. Certainly not everyone there is that way and vice verse for here- but he and his family have said numerous times how they've been blown away by how much "nicer" in general people are in the South- and get this, especially to minorities :eek: - (they're Hispanic). Now that one kind of blew me away, but his father has expressed retiring down here once he's done there bc of the difference in culture. He works in the city as an engineer for a major hotel.

As far as the accent, I'm proud to say I barely have one! Yes I'm ready for the hate about that statement :help: but when I was younger and first moved here from Florida, I knew so many people automatically judged Southerners for being "dumber" (for lack of a better word) the heavier their accent was. When I lived in AK I remember people being shocked I was from the South bc I didn't have an "accent"- now my sister on the other hand.... :oops: lol.

Maybe next year you'll get to see for yourself. ;)

That's the plan! (I'm trying to get an actual calendar that goes past this December from my dumb school - I'm finally graduating next spring and it's end of April-early May so I'm trying to get an exact date. Graduation is the one thing that will keep me from going to Worlds.) Other than that I'll be there with Mamarazzi and hopefully cupieqt. We'll see about this "barely accent"... :p

scared0005.gif

Holding @MsTealtoYou while she sobbed after little bit won was an awesome experience- as was another good friend of mine w/a daughter on SE. Oh- and have I already mentioned MsTealtoYou making me cupcakes for my brother's bday literally at the last minute 2 days before leaving for worlds? :oops: Have I mentioned how incredibly awesome she is? Yes? Ok well I said it again- sorry I'm getting delirious...think it's time for bed!

My negative "World's Experience" is that my opinion regarding a couple of well known people has changed for the worse for very good reason. Very disheartening to say the least. :(

Stop it.......you're ruining my well earned bitchy reputation. Never tell people I'm nice. I'm not. LMAO

You left off the funny part of the story though. You text me at 3 am on Monday morning. (Sunday night to us night owl's) I get the message the next morning. You weren't specific and I couldn't tell if you wanted cupcakes on Tuesday the next day or Tuesday the day after I drove 10 hours home from Worlds. You wanted them the next day. I was doing laundry, packing for worlds, making sure little bit had what she needed, begging her to do some schoolwork unsuccessfully, had to work that night.........lmao.......I was like "Is she kidding me?" I worked and baked when I got home.....whipped up some icing and frosted the damn things. Sent her a picture at 2 am that said I love you but I HATE YOU right now and her hubby met me at the gym to pick them up from me because I didn't have even 1 extra minute to drive them to you between finishing packing, getting a hair cut, eyebrows waxed for CP and working that night. The video of her brother's happiness at the cupcakes though made me glad I was able to carve out the time to get them done. LMAO Off to watch the video again. :chestbump:

Did anyone else hear about ICE Lady Lightning's 5 point deduction for their coach running out on the floor or is this made up? Sorry if I'm tardy for the party but I just heard this and I think it's be hard to get 2nd or whatever they got because of a little celebration. If this is true, the competition should've warned the coaches that they would deduct

Did anyone else hear about ICE Lady Lightning's 5 point deduction for their coach running out on the floor or is this made up? Sorry if I'm tardy for the party but I just heard this and I think it's be hard to get 2nd or whatever they got because of a little celebration. If this is true, the competition should've warned the coaches that they would deduct
The deduction was for 3 points. They still wouldn't have won even with that, even though they did get deducted for that

they were warned
"Actions that exhibit excessive boasting, a delay in competition, poor sportsmanship, unprofessional behavior, etc. may be penalized for by event judges. These actions may include, but are not limited to, things such as:Coaching staff, parents, fans and/or other members of the performing gym taking the performance floor before, during or after a performance (unless in direct response to an obvious athlete injury). The only people allowed on the performance floor are the competitors and competition personnel"

i saw that on video, but i kinda think it was pointless to deduct a whole 5 points, i mean the guy literally ran on to the floor for 1 second and then ran back off. however rules are rules, so if none of the coaches did it, then he shouldnt have either.

i saw that on video, but i kinda think it was pointless to deduct a whole 5 points, i mean the guy literally ran on to the floor for 1 second and then ran back off. however rules are rules, so if none of the coaches did it, then he shouldnt have either.
The whole deduction wasn't for that.

It was only 3 for the coach (there were other deductions) and it didn't change the rankings, so it didn't cost them anything major.
And they told everyone about the rule so they should know, I'm sure they did they just got caught up in the excitement.

Stop it.......you're ruining my well earned bitchy reputation. Never tell people I'm nice. I'm not. LMAO

IMO, you either cover up your bitchy side pretty well or I don't know you very well. Granted you were my fairy godmother so to speak so you could be extremely bitchy and I would still think you were pretty great lol. Only question is, when do I get my cupcakes?! Hahaha!

IMO, you either cover up your bitchy side pretty well or I don't know you very well. Granted you were my fairy godmother so to speak so you could be extremely bitchy and I would still think you were pretty great lol. Only question is, when do I get my cupcakes?! Hahaha!

LMAO........Ok.....My online bitchy reputation.......is that better? Wondering if I can get cupcakes to Vegas without smashing them. LMAO

LMAO........Ok.....My online bitchy reputation.......is that better? Wondering if I can get cupcakes to Vegas without smashing them. LMAO

Lol ok you have a point! (About the cupcakes, I will take your word on the other and hope I never do anything to see that side of you!) hahaha

Back