Wrist Pain From Stunting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 23, 2010
Im a secondary base on my high school team and we just started practicing. The wrist that supports the fliers heel in 2 foot stunts is really really bothering me.
Does this happen to anyone else? What can I do to help/fix it?

I had that same issue. Strengthening it is the best way to help it go away. There's this toy that I bought called Dynaflex gyro ball. It helped mine. There are other ways but this worked the fastest for me.

Your welcomes. You guys prob just need to strengthen and also stretch them a little bit better before you start to practice

i have like legit severe carpal tunnel from cheering. i learned a trick though that helps with strengthening wrists, its SUPER easy, and cheap! this is going to sound confusing so it might not help:(
take cans out of your pantry, not the dinky tinier cans but a littleee bit heavier ones, and hold the cans like your showing off your rings in senior elites 2010 routine, to where your arm is straight out, and your holding the can at the top and just go up and down with the can so that the bottom of the can is facing directly infront of you. it really helped. too bad i didnt do them too much:/

Be VERY careful!! My sister just tore a ligament in her wrist basing! If it starts to really hurt make sure you visit a doctor or physical therapist! In the meantime try and do strength exercises:)

I used to have this same issue!!! Just stretch your wrists ALL THE TIME!! Even at home!! If you do conditioning that you need your wrists for (like pushups) then that also helps strengthen them!! Just stretch them before and after stunting !! :)

I've got a weak wrist and one of my coaches has recommended the following: get a bag of rice and put it in an ice-cream tub. Whenever you're sitting around watching television, etc., put your hand and wrist in the rice and move it around.

my coach always said to get a newspaper page hold it in one hand at the corner then try and crumple it up into a ball that fits inside your hand as fast as you can with only using that hand. it sounds easy but its actually really hard, i couldnt even get it close to fitting into my hand!

This happens to me a lot if we're doing pyramid choreography and I'm just holding a prep. I usually just lightly tape around it for the time being!

when i cheered my wrists always killed me, both while stunting and tumbling. i always taped them, but i think that prevented them from ever getting stronger. follow some of the strengthening tips other people have provided, stretch stretch stretch, and if it gets TOO bad, tape them... but only as a last resort.

When I was 9 I knocked the bones in my right wrist out of place and it's never been the same since. It's had a huge affect on my cheerleading :( I can't do running tumbles since my wrist won't take my weight unless I tumble really slowly. It gave me huge problems in basing on my allstar team, I just couldn't take the weight of even the tiniest flyers. Best thing to do was to keep stretching and stretching. I got given a stretching band by my physiotherapist and I had to hold the band in my good hand and pull the other side down with my bad wrist. It helped a little but I'm still having problems even now that I don't base.

I'd recommend starting to stretch it in the best way that works for you so that the problem doesn't get any worse.

Latest posts

Back