8 Year Old Competitive Cheer Injury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First.. thank u for sharing your story with me and being responsive!! I’ve never been through this or broke anything so I really have no idea what to expect. I can’t believe how legnthy of a healing process it seems to be. I’m so paranoid she will re break it too... I’m so sorry you had to endure this and your baby of course too but so glad to hear that she went back to it and is doing much better now!! You must’ve been terrified the 2 nd time she started going back to cheer again! What a strong little one you have there!! I love her determination! Pls let her know somewhere across the world she has helped another young athlete get through this tough time! We look up to her for her courage and overcoming this set back!

Update and need a little reassurance!

My daughters long cast came off this week and she was put into short cast for two more weeks. (Total 8 was). Doctor said she will wear a brace for four weeks after this. When we saw her arm it still had a little deformity which we expected I guess because the bone alignment/ angle was off about 17 degrees. The doctor said that there will be a small improvement in the next two weeks, more so when the cast comes off and the muscle builds up but should be totally unnoticeable within 6 months. Has anyone experienced this and was that the outcome? I’m praying over here that she is not left with this deformity and that it doesn’t look like this for a very long period of time. Hope there is some positive reassurance out there!!

Hi

I’m a new mom to the competitive cheer world. My daughter is 8yrs old, she’s a flyer and this is her first year on a competitive team. She broke/dislocated her forearm about 3 was ago during a private lesson attempting a back handspring on the wedge mat. I’ve been devastated for her ever since and full of worry. Doctor first said 4 weeks in a long cast then 2 was in the short one. However since we had some movement with the bone during the first couple weeks (which seems to have now settled) he’s decided to keep her in the long cast for the full 6 weeks instead (2 weeks to go). Not there there is ever a good time for this but her team is going to summit about a week and a half after her cast comes off.. she thinks she’s going to be good enough to at least dance, Jump and hold a heel stretch. I don’t think anything is a good idea a week later. My main concern is when she can actually get back to back wall overs, front walk overs without the possibility of another break. When is she in the clear (truly). How will she feel out of the cast and how long does that last?? I’m scared for my baby. I’ve never broken anything so I have no idea really what to expect.

Hey there, Carla!
You're daughter is lucky to have you as an advocate. Definitely make sure the doctor understands the scope of athleticism involved in what she does. I was in and out of a cast for years and the biggest issues I dealt with were weakness in my hand and flexibility in my hand/wrist. If she is given physical therapy, make sure she thinks of it as cheerleading practice. Just like she had to train to get her tumbling, she's going to have to train to have a healthy arm. Walkovers won't be bad if she's not crashing down on her hands when she does them. Once she's ready, she should do lots of bridges to work her way back (a variety-- think feet elevated, hands elevated, etc.). Even if she's stayed active with the broken arm, shoulder flexibility often goes fast, so that's something she should work on. :)
More than anything, remind her that if she really loves cheer, she needs to play a long game and be wise. Cheerleading only gets MORE fun as you get tossed higher and can execute advanced skills. So if she's impatient now, she might forfeit having the career she really wants. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much! That’s great advice. I wish I could share pics here. My daughter is still conditioning and doing her needle stretch on the floor (in a split) with one arm. She continues wall sits, leg lifts and anything else she can without her arm. She’s really something else for a young girl. I don’t know if I could or would. I know she will have to build back the strength. I just don’t know what to expect for time frame. I want her to take as much time possible and then a little bit more but I know she will be getting impatient soon. We’re going to follow doctors orders for sure and then maybe add a little more time lol can you tell I’m nervous?! She loves cheer so much I’m so saddened this happened to her. We’re putting off back handsprings for a long while. Not even a thought for the upcoming season but she’s like to get her level one skills back so she can get back to her team this season and possibly fly again (but that makes me nervous too). The doctor is a sports medicine pediatric ortho. His daughter is also a gymnast so he seems very familiar with what she does although I won’t hesitate to show videos and pics when the time comes.

The fact that Doc knows what she's doing when you say "tumbling" is honestly really helpful. She's going to be okay! Sounds like she loves the sport and she's still bopping around and happy and I really think morale matters a lot in the healing process. As far as timing I think it really depends on her injury. I'm obviously not a doctor but from one cheerleader to another I would tell her to be patient and listen to her body. If I could go back in time and wait one more day here or there or speak up when I knew something was wrong I would probably feel a lot better getting out of bed in the morning today. Just keep encouraging her to talk to you and remind her that taking it slow is not a denial of her participating...just a little delay! :)

Thank u for taking the time to talk and I appreciate your advice! These things are certainly not easy to get through alone... I hope you get some relief . Sounds like you’ve had some rough times I’m so sorry xo

Thank u for taking the time to talk and I appreciate your advice! These things are certainly not easy to get through alone... I hope you get some relief . Sounds like you’ve had some rough times I’m so sorry xo
I had a long career myself and got to work with hundreds of athletes as a coach. This sport is a gift that keeps on giving-- it's all about being positive! :) Best of luck to you and your baby girl. Post an update soon!

I’m so glad you still see it in a positive way! I cheered my whole life but that was prior to this whole competitive world. I love that she loves it and it helps to hear from people like you that have lived it from different sides and loved it. I will definitely post an update. You’ve been great :)

Back