All-Star "a Good Fit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mamarazzi

Ultimate Grand Supreme '12
Cheer Parent
Mar 16, 2011
I've seen this said in regard to many, many teams in their respective division, but I'm wondering, what exactly makes a team "fit" into their division?

Why do Panthers "fit" in LAG?

Why does Medium seem to be a good "fit" for Super Seniors?

I'm guessing it has more to do with something other than the number of athletes on the floor. Thoughts? Examples?

I think a 'good fit' for me is kinda like saying that specific teams style is more exciting to watch in that division. For me a good example would be that I am used to seeing CEA with large teams on the floor ( minus SSX) so when I saw the new small coed out of raleigh it did not click for me. Does that make sense?

When I read "good fit" I feel as though people are referring to the skill level of the team and the overall flow of the routine similar to others in the division. For orange, I'd say its more of a "Wow! I never imagined them in this division, but it works for them." If a team went from getting 52nd in Small Senior, then the next year they are competing Medium Coed and look as though they could be a contender, I'd say that is a "good fit."

Hard to fully explain what is on going on in my head. :rolleyes:

So, saying a team "fits" seems to give the impression that certain divisions have certain characteristics?

I see a good fit as the team has the skills to be competitive in their division. It wouldn't be a good fit to have 5 doubles and be in the large senior division. As far as panthers, I don't think panthers fit well into the large senior division. Large senior is more about the attitude slightly less about cleanliness to some degree. If stars kept their ratio of tumbling and stunting and went small senior I doubt they would place well. Some divisions have their own specific styles. In small we expect clean and well execution, medium we see more choreography and a moderate to high level of cleanliness, and large we expect big visuals, packed with choreography and skills so our expectations for cleanliness dwindle.

That is absolutely the perception. For example, all day we have been hearing"this is large senior, that stunt would score great in other divisions, but not this one." Large senior is expected to have the absolute best tumbling and stunting. Small teams HAVE to be ridiculously clean, and each team member is doing almost everything in the routine.

When I read "good fit" I feel as though people are referring to the skill level of the team and the overall flow of the routine similar to others in the division. For orange, I'd say its more of a "Wow! I never imagined them in this division, but it works for them." If a team went from getting 52nd in Small Senior, then the next year they are competing Medium Coed and look as though they could be a contender, I'd say that is a "good fit."

Hard to fully explain what is on going on in my head. :rolleyes:

Welcome back sweetie. So glad to see you posting!!! (Hugs and kisses to you!!!)

It has several factors to me:
*'Style' of Routine- Since small is deep, it's not about necessarily the flashiest skills, it's about who hits them the best. Since large has such a strong depth of field, you need to hit hard in ALL areas, or so hard in one that it eclipses the others by miles, giving you more 'wiggle room' in points. Some teams have routines that might look better with less people, or better with more.
*Ratio of skills to size- Think of it as 'trimming the fat,' particularly in the jump from large to smaller divisions- a team who does fairly well in large, but doesn't win a lot might be better suited to medium, so that their ratio of skills competed to people on the floor is higher.
*Execution- Having to do with whether or not a team should be in a worlds-bound division or lower, depending on whether or not they really 'can' do the skills.
*'Style' of team- I rarely pay attention to some gyms coed teams, while others I hardly notice their all-girl. Others I watch equally. It's like that year that Cheetahs was a small coed- just never felt right. Same as people saying they miss CF in small senior, or when Panthers went from Large to small. They might still do well, but team dynamic/presence/style might make them seem 'better' in a different size or style (coed vs AG)

So, saying a team "fits" seems to give the impression that certain divisions have certain characteristics?
For me it does, like with Small Senior, I like super clean and precise and I feel like that division should be the cleanest because it has the least amount of people ( granted I think every team should be clean). I feel like the Large Senior 5 division is what I would consider a big show....so you would need a lot of wow factor to get noticed in that division and that is why its so hard for people to break into it.....alot of teams can't get used to the change in what is necessary to really stick in that division.

I honestly think that its just a word people throw around....
I agree... when a football team has a bad season or doesn't have a good game we don't say, you know what the NFL just isn't a good fit for them. Cheerleading is based solely on the judgement of others so one person's idea of a good fit is going to vary from another's.

Back