All Star Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 3, 2017
Hi, so I have seen questions like this before, but I have never found one specific enough, so sorry if this question is repeated way too often.
Basically I am close to wrapping up my sophomore year in highschool, and I am 15 years old. Ever since I was young I have always wanted to do allstar cheer, but I was always told no for numerous reasons, an example would be how expensive it is. When I got to highschool, my mother agreed to let me do highschool cheer, however it just isn't the same. I am very performance orientated, and enjoy fast pace/high energy activities. Anyway, I have come super close before to being able to switch to all star, I have just always approached her with poor timing, such as it being in the middle of a current season. Well as most of you probably know the 18-19 season is approaching, and I'd like nothing more than to be apart of it. One concern I have, if i am even able to start, is what type of team I'd be on and what position I would have. I have flown on my school's all girl varsity team both freshman and sophomore year, I have plenty of tumbling experience(standing tuck, round off back handspring tuck/layout, along with a full that was lost due to not tumbling, I could get it back if I started again), as well as a good amount of stunting experience (I have all one legged stunts, along with full downs and some baskets). I would really like to continue flying, but i feel that since I'd most likely be placed on a lower level team, due to lack of allstar experience and probably lack of skill set, and the lower level that would result in younger kids, and therefore no opportunity to fly. I am also a larger flyer, I'm on the low end of 5'6, and I weigh 117. I also kind of feel like it is a little late to start all star and actually be competitive with it. But I guess I'm asking a few different questions. How hard is the transition between highschool and allstar? What possible level could I be at if I tried out? What are the chances I'd be able to fly if i switched to an all star team? and does having experience as a flyer help my chances, or would I just end up being too big and have to learn a new position? While I'm not opposed to basing, and i understand coaches would like their athletes to have a good attitude with their position and to be versatile. I truly just enjoy flying so much, especially since that is what I have only done.
Sorry this was so long, and probably quite confusing to read, but if you can answer any or perhaps offer some advice to my situation, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Another thing to add to my highschool cheer experience, is that we have recently brought in some guys from the football team and taught them to cheer, and so i got introduced to some partner stunting as well. I have only practiced it one time, but i was able to learn a basic toss up with a pop down, and a toss to extension with a pop down or cradle. So coed stunting isn't completely new to me, and I did really enjoy it, but I do lack experience with it.

1. All star and HS have some similarities but in general, the HS material follows a different set of guidelines and as such, HS is a touch limited in terms of pyramid skills, baskets, and things that involve twisting/rotations. Also the material in HS is focused on what is clean and what engages the crowd.

2. I can't really predict what level team you could be on as that depends on your skills OVERALL (in stunts, jumps, tumbling, etc.) Not just any one thing. It also depends on the gym, who shows up for tryouts, their skills, etc. and so many other things. Ex: A full does not automatically earn you a spot on a Worlds team.

3. Gyms usually have MORE flyers than they NEED at every level. Keep that in mind. This is especially true at the Senior age level where kids can be 11 (nonworlds) or 13 (Worlds teams.) Flying is about more than just weight and height of course (skills matter) but a lot of your ability to fly depends on the skill and size of OTHERS. I always tell others to be FLEXIBLE and open to different positions because again, flyer spots are few (the largest team only needs like, 8 and some extras) and the age spread brings in kids as young as 6th/7th grade who GENERALLY are looking to fly. Learning to base can only HELP you in that case. So I'd really make an effort to learn.

4. Not too late to start all star as there are senior teams at ALL levels from Level 1 and NEVER cheered before to Worlds team Level 5. I always tell people to be realistic with your expectations. Ex: going in with your skills, and expecting to make the Worlds team at a gym may not be realistic, but you can still compete at a different level. If you have "I'm only going to cheer at ___ level" expectations, you may be in for a disappointment.

1. All star and HS have some similarities but in general, the HS material follows a different set of guidelines and as such, HS is a touch limited in terms of pyramid skills, baskets, and things that involve twisting/rotations. Also the material in HS is focused on what is clean and what engages the crowd.

2. I can't really predict what level team you could be on as that depends on your skills OVERALL (in stunts, jumps, tumbling, etc.) Not just any one thing. It also depends on the gym, who shows up for tryouts, their skills, etc. and so many other things. Ex: A full does not automatically earn you a spot on a Worlds team.

3. Gyms usually have MORE flyers than they NEED at every level. Keep that in mind. This is especially true at the Senior age level where kids can be 11 (nonworlds) or 13 (Worlds teams.) Flying is about more than just weight and height of course (skills matter) but a lot of your ability to fly depends on the skill and size of OTHERS. I always tell others to be FLEXIBLE and open to different positions because again, flyer spots are few (the largest team only needs like, 8 and some extras) and the age spread brings in kids as young as 6th/7th grade who GENERALLY are looking to fly. Learning to base can only HELP you in that case. So I'd really make an effort to learn.

4. Not too late to start all star as there are senior teams at ALL levels from Level 1 and NEVER cheered before to Worlds team Level 5. I always tell people to be realistic with your expectations. Ex: going in with your skills, and expecting to make the Worlds team at a gym may not be realistic, but you can still compete at a different level. If you have "I'm only going to cheer at ___ level" expectations, you may be in for a disappointment.
Thank you so much

PP said most of it. The level you end up will depend both on your skill set and the needs of the gym (positions, the number of places they have on each teams etc.). If you are serious about switching, I'd suggest getting into that gym for some training with either open gyms or tumbling/flyer classes. That way, when team placements come around, they have a better idea of who you are and where you might best fit in

Back