Attendance Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 22, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board! my name is Lauren :) I coach little league cheerleading, and I was wondering what are some your attendance policies. we a re a competition team and we have an issue with girls being involved in too many other extra curricular activities. How I have it now is 3 late to a practice counts as a miss. 3 "miss" your benched from a game. miss a game no competition. Do you guys have any other suggestions are ways for me to change it?

Do you make exceptions or is a miss a miss?

CP is allowed 4 excused absences per semester. One unexcused equals two excused. Athletes on school squads have exceptions that are determined individually.

When they are late it doesn't count towards their absences, they have extra conditioning.

The week of competition no absences are allowed.

We allow seven a season once the school year schedule begins in early August. Late doesn't count against them but I wish it did.

School functions that are for a grade and family emergencies (funerals or the like) do not count against them.

If they miss in the two weeks before a competition they are replaced for that competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you make exceptions or is a miss a miss?

CP is allowed 4 excused absences per semester. One unexcused equals two excused. Athletes on school squads have exceptions that are determined individually.

When they are late it doesn't count towards their absences, they have extra conditioning.

The week of competition no absences are allowed.

yess we have exceptions ie death in the family already planned vacations or sick. but our season is so short that I feel like we have to be a little more strict on the attendance rules bc we only have a couple of months.

My high school team has a point system, if you exceed the number of points then you are off the team.

1/2 point per tardy to practice or leaving early from practice
1 1/2 points per unexcused absence from practice (Absences are excused if a doctor's note is presented, a cheerleader is vomiting/has something contagious, or a family emergency/death in the family)
3 points per missed function (games, pep rallies, competitions, community events, etc...)

Also, if a cheerleader is not present at practice the day before a game/pep rally, s/he will not cheer at that event but will still have to show up in full uniform and sit out on the sideline. This does not happen for competitions, though, as a whole routine can't be changed for that in one practice.

Our team has found this to be an effective way to make sure girls show up on time. Parents don't want to have their child kicked off the team because they decided to let their kid miss too many days of school because they had a small headache. Plus, our program can cost a pretty penny, especially to first year varsity cheerleaders, so parents definetly don't want their money going to waste.

Hope this maybe helps :)

I allow my middle schoolers 3 absences from June to January. We only practice twice during the summer, and then twice a week from September to December. I knew that we would have some athletes that wanted to cheer but couldn't make the commitment, so I created two teams. We have a performance team and a competition team. The performance team cheers games and performs at pep rally, etc. They are allowed to miss 5 practices from September to January.

My high school team has a point system, if you exceed the number of points then you are off the team.

1/2 point per tardy to practice or leaving early from practice
1 1/2 points per unexcused absence from practice (Absences are excused if a doctor's note is presented, a cheerleader is vomiting/has something contagious, or a family emergency/death in the family)
3 points per missed function (games, pep rallies, competitions, community events, etc...)

Also, if a cheerleader is not present at practice the day before a game/pep rally, s/he will not cheer at that event but will still have to show up in full uniform and sit out on the sideline. This does not happen for competitions, though, as a whole routine can't be changed for that in one practice.

Our team has found this to be an effective way to make sure girls show up on time. Parents don't want to have their child kicked off the team because they decided to let their kid miss too many days of school because they had a small headache. Plus, our program can cost a pretty penny, especially to first year varsity cheerleaders, so parents definetly don't want their money going to waste.

Hope this maybe helps :)

Can you tell me what your point max is? Like how many points before you are kicked off?

Unless you have a fever of 101 or higher, are vomiting, have diarrhea, contagious illness (with dr. note) or hospitalized - you better be at practice. The other excused absences include a death in the immediate family, a parent deploying/redeploying on day of practice, or a graded school function.

Unless you have a fever of 101 or higher, are vomiting, have diarrhea, contagious illness (with dr. note) or hospitalized - you better be at practice. The other excused absences include a death in the immediate family, a parent deploying/redeploying on day of practice, or a graded school function.
Just to clarify, if they are not feeling well or have an injury, they are still there to learn material/changes although not required to participate.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board! my name is Lauren :) I coach little league cheerleading, and I was wondering what are some your attendance policies. we a re a competition team and we have an issue with girls being involved in too many other extra curricular activities. How I have it now is 3 late to a practice counts as a miss. 3 "miss" your benched from a game. miss a game no competition. Do you guys have any other suggestions are ways for me to change it?

I also coach youth cheerleading. If the parents calls they are excused. If they don't and their daughter misses a practice they sit out for a quarter of the football game. Four unexcused absences they are asked to leave the team. Having girls miss practice not only affects them not learning or knowing the cheer and dances but it affects the girls that are there. I am upfront about the cheer policy from the very beginning.

We have some suggested rules, but no strict guidelines. I wish we did though, as I am always there and some others don't have the same level of commitment. We have only done pyramid once or twice over the last 10 weeks, due to people not being there. It is very annoying!

We have some suggested rules, but no strict guidelines. I wish we did though, as I am always there and some others don't have the same level of commitment. We have only done pyramid once or twice over the last 10 weeks, due to people not being there. It is very annoying!

I know exactly how you feel. My team hasnt been able to stunt since August due to girls just not showing up!

I know exactly how you feel. My team hasnt been able to stunt since August due to girls just not showing up!
Last season the only time I was able to see all five of my stunts in the air was during warm-ups right before the first competition of the season .:D

Last season the only time I was able to see all five of my stunts in the air was during warm-ups right before the first competition of the season .:D

Just curious, was it all due to injury? Because that makes my inner Susie cringe, just reading about it!

Back