High School Bullying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 11, 2011
Does anyone have a "bully" on their team? A kid that is sweeter then pie to the coaches but will say anything to make herself look better?

I have a junior who was placed on JV, she needs some work and isn't ready for the varsity level, not to say by next year she would be fine. Over the summer she was working very hard and going to conditioning and tumbling and we asked her and another girl to cheer Varsity games b/c they really did work hard.

Well, we picked JV captains and she was one of them, ironically along w/ the other girl we asked to cheer Varsity games. Everything on the teams were great, they were really getting along, etc.
So now a mom comes to me b/c the girls apparently "heard" she was moving up to varsity for competition. Actually she told them she was. Also, apparently she has said all of these hurtful things. So now, it's all blowing up b/c she was picked as captain. We chose her b/c from our perspective, she was working hard, she was a junior on JV and knows the material, she appeared to be gaining respect from the girls, and we allow the girls to "vote", meaning they can give us the name of someone they think would be a good leader and we take it into consideration. We had 1 overwhelming leader and then the rest were pretty even across the board.

The problem I have is I know she is a little rough around the edges and can be abrasive, however, if there was a HUGE issue and we were made aware of it, we may have been able to watch more closely.

How do you all handle the complaints after the fact? I can not stress enough to these parents and kids that if there is an issue, they need to come to us and not wait b/c we don't see everything.

You should probably talk to the JV girls and see if you can get any specific information from them. It's one thing if the parents are overreacting, and another thing if these girls are truly being hurt by what this captain is saying.

We have tried talking to the girls and it happens, but they I think are afraid she is going to start more rumors so I think they are trying to ignore her.

We have been through this all w/ the team and the AD. Just wanted to get insight on if anyone out there has the issue and how they personally resolved it or how it worked itself out!

Back