Burnout

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 24, 2021
Hi,

Both of my daughters just started allstar cheer. The youngest is 4 and I only enrolled her because it would be a hassle to entertain her while big sister was at practice or tumble each week since the gym is about 30 minutes from us. She loves anything sister does. My question is, do most athletes that cheer through college start this young or am I just asking for burnout? Also, do they receive participation medals at comps? My oldest is dying for a medal as it seems all her friends get it for just participating in soccer, softball, etc.

Thanks!

I honestly think so much depends on the individual kid and their personality. My oldest started young, about 7. She started losing interest in High School. My youngest started at an even younger age, about 5. My youngest will be cheering in College.

I honestly think so much depends on the individual kid and their personality. My oldest started young, about 7. She started losing interest in High School. My youngest started at an even younger age, about 5. My youngest will be cheering in College.
Thanks for the insight! Did your girls play other sports while they cheered. My oldest has tried a couple and wants to do another sport as well as this. I feel like we won’t be able to manage two as she gets older if she sticks with multiple sports throughout the year.

They both did gymnastics in Elementary School. When it became too much to juggle both I made them pick. They also took swimming lessons and rode horses, but they didn't stick with those very long. My oldest tried volleyball in 8th grade. Unfortunately, she felt like she couldn't keep up with the other girls who had been in volleyball since they were little.

It totally depends on the kid and their experience. The kids that typically "burn out" are those that spend a ton of time in the gym and don't have the opportunity to experience much of childhood outside of cheer. My advice is to take it easy for a while and avoid private lessons, too many days in the gym, or extra classes while she's still young. If you can make it work, allowing her to try other sports and activities is a great idea.

There's also a difference between burnout and loss of interest. Just something to keep in mind.

It totally depends on the kid and their experience. The kids that typically "burn out" are those that spend a ton of time in the gym and don't have the opportunity to experience much of childhood outside of cheer. My advice is to take it easy for a while and avoid private lessons, too many days in the gym, or extra classes while she's still young. If you can make it work, allowing her to try other sports and activities is a great idea.

There's also a difference between burnout and loss of interest. Just something to keep in mind.
I would like to second this. The gym rats are almost always the one that hit HS and are done. Let them have a life outside. Force them to have a life outside if you have to.

Back