OT Can Someone Explain Drill Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 14, 2017
Can someone explain drill teams to me? Extra points if you’re from the south.

Lately I’ve been fascinated by them, especially the one from LSU. I have so many questions:

1. From a layperson’s perspective they’re like a dance team, but then sometimes there’s also an ACTUAL dance team. Why are they both a thing?

2. Why are there hats and capes and boots? Why is at all covered in sequins? What tradition is that steeped in?

3. Why haven’t the uniforms evolved? Like ever? I’m not trashing them — the uniforms are like 60% of why I can’t look away — but I would’ve thought that at this point, someone in charge would’ve opted for more movement/weather/trend-friendly options by now. Much like cheer has.

I must know more.

Marching bands evolved from the military and many Universities had marching bands that were affiliated with their ROTC programs. Hence, the reason most have military inspired uniforms. Hats hide hair differences and look uniform. The Texas Rangers were popular in old Westerns, their field uniform included a cowboy hat and boots, ... "Rangerettes."

Uniforms are slowly evolving, but the military influence is deep with tradition. For some drill teams, the cowboy (majorette) boot evolved into the Nancy Sinatra white go-go boot, now many use a soft lace up boot that resembles a combat boot, and some just use dance shoes. The cape, also, historically part of the military uniform. Sequins? I have no idea other than they catch the light and your attention.

I would imagine the drill team and dance team difference has to do with a mix of two different types of band styles, military and show. One was to show precision, the other to entertain.

From what I understand, at the HS level the drill team is a band oriented majorette group in the fall, and transitions to being a traditional dance team once football season is over?

At the college level I feel like it’s common to see both a majorette drill type group and a separate dance team.

The LSU Golden Girls IG account kicked off my curiosity about college drill teams (a part of me LOVES big southern school vibes: architecture, traditions, cheerleading, etc.).

But then I went down the rabbit hole with LSU stuff and found some things. And you guys… this can’t be allowed can it?

The comments this site makes about the female athletes are bad enough, but discussing other people’s personal information is appalling. I think even reddit draws the line there. Am I being naive or is this BAD bad?

Par for the course. Though I'd be surprised if anyone provided actual info besides a name.

IDK. I think generally a good rule of thumb is: if you’re doing something that reddit deems sleazy — reddit, the site that thought posting upskirts was totally fine — then it’s probably REALLY sleazy.

Back