High School Cheer coach issues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A

Anonymous

This is my 2nd year of high school cheer. Last year I made the competitive team and it seemed like I was definitely one of the best on the team. This year we got a new coach and I can’t figure out if she just hates me or thinks I’m really bad. She has only let me base one time which was with a new group so I didn’t get to show her my stunting abilities. The last few practices we’ve only been working stunts she has given everyone a spot in a stunt or at least let them switch out. I was the only person who she told to just spot around the whole time. I don’t get to do anything at all at practices and I don’t know why or what I can do.

Talk to your coach and ask for feedback. Let her know you love Cheer and want to be an asset to the team.

I have never been a coach, but I managed people for many years. Truth: Sometimes you give your best a support role in a project to see what others are capable of achieving. Sometimes, you don't put the best in to see what kind of leader and attitude they have when put in a support role. Sometimes, it's not about "the best" and more about "what works" and that can include the chemistry of the overall group.

Nothing is wrong with asking your coach what you can do to improve overall, but realize whatever position you are put in, she's assessing your attitude and what you bring to the table in whatever role she gives you. I can tell you there are two distinct "best's" out there. #1 The "best" that jumps in, cheers others on, provides assistance when needed, provides positive feedback to the group, and realizes their worth even in a support role. Or, #2 The "best" who feels under utilized, hurt, and can't figure out their worth outside the role they want or are best at. #1 is a rare breed, born leader, and invaluable in whatever role they have.

Back