High School Cheer First

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2017
Does anyone know the name of any teams that compete UCA that begin their routine with a cheer? I can't find any. Also, want to make sure that there are no point deductions for beginning routine this way before I fully commit to it.

No point deductions.

It’s not typically done, but wouldn’t affect your score in any way,

You might consider it to give the judges a slightly different look.

If you do this, though, consider the ramifications from a conditioning standpoint. 1:30 of music straight is HARD.

From a purely personal perspective. My initial reaction as a spectator when I see a team do this is to go to the concession stand and just assume they’re clueless. It’s not fair, but it’s that rare.

From a purely personal perspective. My initial reaction as a spectator when I see a team do this is to go to the concession stand and just assume they’re clueless. It’s not fair, but it’s that rare.
Someone had to correct me a couple months ago on this same topic. I could have sworn it was a rule, but I guess it was just hammered into the culture that much for me.

No point deductions.

It’s not typically done, but wouldn’t affect your score in any way,

You might consider it to give the judges a slightly different look.

If you do this, though, consider the ramifications from a conditioning standpoint. 1:30 of music straight is HARD.

Interesting! I’m at the point though where if a team started with a cheer, I’d probably be so much more interested because no one does that anymore. That’s why the thought to start this way came to my mind.

Interesting! I’m at the point though where if a team started with a cheer, I’d probably be so much more interested because no one does that anymore. That’s why the thought to start this way came to my mind.

I’m not faulting you. I was just trying to give you reason to really think about it. Judges may tell you it’s a great idea. I’m speaking only as a spectator who’s a bit of a traditionalist.

The team I coach doesn't compete UCA regularly, but we do a UCA critique every year and have always started with the cheer. The judges' general consensus is: "It's different which can be the best or worst thing depending on how it goes." Basically, if your cheer is amazing, starting with it is fine - we always score really well on our cheer but our music section takes a hit.

Weigh the pros and cons and make a decision, let us all know how it turns out though!

North Little Rock High School, in Arkansas, has competed with their Cheer first. The coach prefers it that way.

Back