Cheering For A Solution

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

By Lisa D. Welsh

www.CHEERMaD.com

Erika McLaughlin, co-owner of Cheer Factor All Stars giving testimony about bullying...to see full video, click "CFAS" top right.
CFAS
Cheer for a trophy; Cheer for a bid; Cheer for the joy of it. Now one gym is “cheering for a solution.”
“Bullying is something that has greatly affected our industry,” said coach Erika McLaughlin and co-owner of Cheer Factor All Stars in Massachusetts.

“Flo asked us if there was something we could do other than cheerleading with the kids, something to unite them and bullying prevention seemed to be the obvious answer.”

Flo and Gabriella Sabatino
With the blessing of McLaughlin and the other owners, cheer mom Flo Sabatino helped athletes at CFAS’s dedicate the 2012-2013 season to “Stop Bullying.” Using a play on the gyms’ inititals “CFAS” Flo came up with “Cheer For a Solution.”
“The kids chose the “Stop Bullying” cause themselves,” Flo said. “They’re saddened to see all the things happening due to bullying so raising awareness, learning about how to handle situations, talking about going somewhere safe and building trust are all things we’re doing.”
Like many gyms, Cheer Factor All Stars; with locations in Foxboro, Hanover and Taunton, MA is a home away from home for many of its athletes and the only “family” some kids have.
“The kids call me “Momma Flo” and it’s a great honor to be called that,” the CHEERMaD said. “We talk about things, anything they want to talk about and I can tell if something is going on. I check in with them to make sure everything is ok.”
Cheer for a Solution’s Stop Bullying program includes a bullying prevention awarenss campaign inside the gym and a community-wide awareness campaign outside of the gym which athletes demonstrated at three parades and one performance during the summer. A Fourth parade is planned in the coming weeks for Halloween.
According to Coach McLaughlin, Cheer Factor All Stars is already a No Bully zone for parents and athletes.
“There is a zero tolerance policy here,” she said. “I was bullied as a kid. Let’s face it, girls can be rough. But because of bullying, I am the person I am today. Things like that make you stronger but you fight through it and then look back and see it for what it really is.”

Gabriella Sabatino
When her daughter Gabriella, 13, joined CFAS four years ago after becoming bored with Pop Warner, Flo said she thinks she was more nervous than the cheerleader.
“You wonder if everyone is going to be nice and welcoming, I can only imagine how she must’ve felt,” Flo said, with a laugh.
“Kids no longer have a safe zone but Cheer Factor is that safe place,” she continued. “We are always welcoming new people to make them feel comfortable, supported and complimented right away.”

Back