Cheerleading: The Not So Glamorous Reality

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2013
Click For Full Article

The Independent published Cheerleading: The Not So Glamorous Reality. I’m talking about competitive cheerleading, not the silly, fluffy pom-pom shaking, semi-nude dancing you see at the edges of American football games. I mean cheerleading as a sport where men and women form a team, throw each other in the air, do back-flips and handstands and […]

I like what she has to say about competitive cheer, but I think she does a disservice to sideline cheer. High school and college cheerleaders are not about shaking their booties for the gratification of the guys. They are about leading the crowd in supporting their team. They are about performing stunts and tumbling on the sidelines to capture the attention of the fans, to better lead them in supporting the team.

I also had to laugh at the "semi-nude" comment about sideline cheerleaders as compared to all-star! We all know that school cheerleaders are typically way more covered up than all-stars!

I think this is a U. K. publication, so the writer may only be familiar with NFL "cheerleaders". Nevertheless, she has the wrong impression - as do a lot of people.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Reactions: Ems
Back