Cheermom 101

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 1, 2019
Looking to write/VLOG a "CheerMom 101" kind of post for our new gym families and for my personal blog. What are some things you wish you would have understood better about a typical All-Star year?

This isn’t a specific thing I wish I would have known....however my biggest advice to a new cheer mom (and what turned out to be my saving grace for season 1), is befriending a friendly/helpful/knowledgeable/veteran cheer mom. When I was too embarrassed to ask a question, felt like I was bugging the gym, or was lost - I always reached out to this mom and she directed me every step of the way. We were at a gym that lacked organization and communication. Without her we would have been a mess!

If you have to fly for a competition, pack the stuff you need to compete in your carry on bag, not in your luggage.

When traveling bring food to have in your hotel room and to the competition venue, if allowed, so you cut down on the amount of money you spend.

Little things can help you save money such as not allowing your kid to purchase stuff at every single comp you go to.

Ex: $100 in shirts/bows/etc. at every single pro shop pop up thing or Varsity souvenir tent times like 5 comps really adds up.

I’m in my third year of cheer and have had to learn a lot as I went along. Our gym didn’t explain little things such as D1 and D2, small, medium, etc. All the different categories you see on cheer schedules is overwhelming when you don’t know what’s going on. Also explaining scoring at 2 day comps such as spirit of hope where it’s 70/30. This year I’m trying to learn about wild card bids. Either our coach doesn’t really understand it herself or there is no black and white by varsity as how they decide advancing. It doesn’t seem to be an exact cut off each year so I am assuming varsity decides each year depending on the number of teams in each division???

I’m in my third year of cheer and have had to learn a lot as I went along. Our gym didn’t explain little things such as D1 and D2, small, medium, etc. All the different categories you see on cheer schedules is overwhelming when you don’t know what’s going on. Also explaining scoring at 2 day comps such as spirit of hope where it’s 70/30. This year I’m trying to learn about wild card bids. Either our coach doesn’t really understand it herself or there is no black and white by varsity as how they decide advancing. It doesn’t seem to be an exact cut off each year so I am assuming varsity decides each year depending on the number of teams in each division???

Also some teams don’t accept wild card bids. I know a gym where some of the teams will accept and some don’t. They tell the comp this in advance. So you might think why didn’t that Y2 get a wild card, they won and looked really good! Because they didn’t want it.

Back