Clean Double Downs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
So, our flyers do have their double downs alright. The one thing that bothers me to no end though, is the fact that their legs are always crossed. Not helicopter-of-death-style crossed but somewhere between their ankles and mid calf.

Are there any drills or pointers, I can use to get their double downs cleaner? Ideally Team-Norway-stunt-group-clean... ;)

Last edited:
Do they cross in their singles? For me it was all about making sure toes are pointed and the legs and pin-straight. If the full isn't clean (feet together clean, that is), then the crossing typically comes from the "need" of the flyer to twist fast enough to make the double, rather than say riding the pop enough.

As I learned, doubles are twofold. The first rotation is while going up (riding the pop the bases give you), and the second is as you go down.

Do they cross in their singles? For me it was all about making sure toes are pointed and the legs and pin-straight. If the full isn't clean (feet together clean, that is), then the crossing typically comes from the "need" of the flyer to twist fast enough to make the double, rather than say riding the pop enough.

As I learned, doubles are twofold. The first rotation is while going up (riding the pop the bases give you), and the second is as you go down.

Good point with the singles, I'll check that next time! Don't know, why I didn't even think of it!
I try explaining the "first twist on the way up" thing and most do get it. Most do make it around really well but it could really come from trying to twist too hard.
Guess drilling the singles until they are picture perfect could be a really great starting point. Thanks!

Good point with the singles, I'll check that next time! Don't know, why I didn't even think of it!
I try explaining the "first twist on the way up" thing and most do get it. Most do make it around really well but it could really come from trying to twist too hard.
Guess drilling the singles until they are picture perfect could be a really great starting point. Thanks!

Yep, and if singles are not clean, go back to high, tight, clean straight cradles. Without a solid foundation, doubles won't be clean.

Thanks guys! You're absolutely right. We've been so focused on getting everyone to double down in time for regionals that some of them might have neglected some technique on the way. As we're probably not going to nationals this year, this is a good time to work on clean solid technique.
I'm only the assistant coach but I'll be coaching the team all of next week so I'll make sure to focus on this! :)

Exactly, a lot of flyers get too focused on making it around for the double that they then don't focus on their technique - which then ultimately hurts them anyway because execution suffers when it's not pretty. For anything of difficulty to hit, the basis needs to be spot on - a tic toc will be jacked if the regular lib is still eww. :D

And like @youbetterwork said, make sure those bases are popping nicely, using their legs and not their arms. I tend to see a lot of guys, typically, who try to use those arm muscles for a pop rather than their legs, which causes more of a dive cradle (where the flyer literally doubles down into the cradle) than a nice high double.

So, our flyers do have their double downs alright. The one thing that bothers me to no end though, is the fact that their legs are always crossed. Not helicopter-of-death-style crossed but somewhere between theri ankles and mid calf.

Are there any drills or pointers, I can use to get their double downs cleaner? Ideally Team-Norway-stunt-group-clean... ;)
I LOVE Team Norway, they're so clean!

Helicopter of death, LMAO. Maybe some oblique conditioning might help? Having strong obliques is crucial to being able to twist well.

Last edited:
Back