College College Cheer Question.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2012
So I'm a sophomore in high school & we have to start thinking about where we want to go to college & narrow it down to three schools. I've already done this & knowing each university is different I have some questions.
Okay so my three schools are
-Oklahoma State
-Baylor University
-University of Arizona
With my 4th & 5th choices being;
-University of Kentucky
-University of Louisville

Now I love cheerleading & want to do it on a college level but I'm a base & back spot, I've never flown. Everyone tells me to cheer in college I have to fly. For the five universities, is it possible to not fly? Also I play soccer and love it equally as much as cheerleading so would it be possible to do both? Tips for getting on a college cheerleading level would also be appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

OSU - they have a small coed and a STUNT team, so it's possible to base or back. You'll need a standing back tuck and running full to be on the team.
Baylor - They have an all-girl team and a Acro/Tumbling team. To be on All-Girl cheer, you'll need a standing tuck and a running 3 bhs to tuck. To be on Acro/Tumbling, I don't really know for sure, but it's likely they'll want a standing back and running full.
U of A - from what I've seen, they're coed and do not compete. The girls are tiny and are basically all flyers. And you'll need a standing tuck at least. (we go to UCA camp with them, so this is just what I've seen.)
UK - Large Coed, highly competitive, best of the best in the cheer world. standing tuck and specialty running fulls are a necessity. Basically all of the girls are flyers unless you are an AMAZING tumbler.
U of L - They have a small coed and All-Girl (which also competes in STUNT), so once again, it's a possibility. However, much like Kentucky, they're pretty much the best of the best and you'll need a standing tuck and a running full.

I highly doubt you can do cheer and soccer at once. Schedules will definitely conflict, and even it they didn't you would not have a life. You would be busy and exhausted all the time with classes, practices for two teams, cheering at games, and playing soccer games. It just won't happen. Especially because these are big schools with very demanding cheer programs.

For being at the college level, you're just expected to do everything well. Be sharp, have high jumps, know how to stunt, know how to tumble. And just to be honest, a lot of it comes down to tumbling. Unless you are an amazing stunter, like OSU small coed Cheyenne (the girl who does a one-man rewind in their 2012 Nationals routine), tumbling will make or break you. It's a lot easier to teach stunting and become good at that, then to get a running full within a few months. Especially because these are highly competitive teams, there will be a bunch of bases and backs who can stunt just as well. So unless you already have a standing back tuck and a running pass ending in a full, I would dedicate yourself to tumbling. And if you do, keep practicing, trying harder passes. Try to get your jumps inverted. Practice sharp motions in the mirror. You can always get better.

So I'm a sophomore in high school & we have to start thinking about where we want to go to college & narrow it down to three schools. I've already done this & knowing each university is different I have some questions.
Okay so my three schools are
-Oklahoma State
-Baylor University
-University of Arizona
With my 4th & 5th choices being;
-University of Kentucky
-University of Louisville

Now I love cheerleading & want to do it on a college level but I'm a base & back spot, I've never flown. Everyone tells me to cheer in college I have to fly. For the five universities, is it possible to not fly? Also I play soccer and love it equally as much as cheerleading so would it be possible to do both? Tips for getting on a college cheerleading level would also be appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Baylor University has a wonderful Acrobatics and Tumbling team…back base has its advantages….Scholarships as well. No need to be a flyer! Contact Coach Williams

I don't want to clutter up the boards so I'll just post here! I'm a junior in high school and I'm starting to go on college visits. I would like to cheer in college while staying in state (Indiana). I know IU has a great cheer program that won UCA Nationals, but if I decide that I don't want to go to such a big school, what other schools have decent cheerleading programs?

I don't want to clutter up the boards so I'll just post here! I'm a junior in high school and I'm starting to go on college visits. I would like to cheer in college while staying in state (Indiana). I know IU has a great cheer program that won UCA Nationals, but if I decide that I don't want to go to such a big school, what other schools have decent cheerleading programs?

I know that Indiana's all girl team is coached by former Morehead State head coach Tony Nash. I know that Purdue University's squad competes as well.

I cheer for Morehead State in Kentucky and I absolutely love it. If you're extremely dedicated and I mean extremely then go to Morehead, this year we have 24 rookies and it's amazing to see 24 rookies and 18 veterans have so much dedication and amazing talent! Our coach is Bill Mayo, we are hosting a fall clinic on November 4th. We have all girl and coed. I would recommend a college vist and definitely come to a practice:)

We also have 32 national titles all together!!! :)

I cheer for Morehead State in Kentucky and I absolutely love it. If you're extremely dedicated and I mean extremely then go to Morehead, this year we have 24 rookies and it's amazing to see 24 rookies and 18 veterans have so much dedication and amazing talent! Our coach is Bill Mayo, we are hosting a fall clinic on November 4th. We have all girl and coed. I would recommend a college vist and definitely come to a practice:)

We also have 32 national titles all together!!! :)

Are you on the co-ed squad or the all girl squad?

i also cheer at Morehead State and im apart of the all girl cheerleading squad. its an amazing program and i love it here! there is so much talent here that i don't think anyone is gonna be able to handle it when we come to nationals. Our coach Bill Mayo doesn't take a set number of girls at tryouts he takes as much talent as he can. you should really try to come to the fall clinic Nov 4 and contact Bill about coming to a practice and practicing with us. numerous girls come in and stunt with us during a practice and it really will help you get a feel if this is the team you really want to be apart of! We also have an amazing Coed team too!

information about the stunt clinic is here : Morehead State University Fall Stunt Clinic | Facebook

Back