Confused Cheer Mom - Please Help!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Confused Cheer Mom

Cheer Parent
Mar 27, 2011
I am a newbie, so please bear with me. I am totally new to all star cheer and want to see if it’s just me or if this is a typical scenario for all star cheer. My daughter brought home a flyer for pop Warner last spring and begged to sign up. I signed up both of my little ones (I have a grown daughter also). They enjoyed it so much that when a team member told them about all star, they really wanted to do it, so we signed up for the half year team with a bunch of kids from mostly other pop Warner programs. I asked when we signed up, that perhaps since my girls have only their one season pop Warner experience if it might be better for them to take classes for a year and then try out. I was told no, they would be teaching them new skills in their cheer practices.

The scheduled coach for this team was moved to another team when another coach left. They put an assistant coach from the previous year as head coach for my girl’s team. I knew there would be some issues when about a month into the program, someone defaced property at the gym. The gym owner spoke to our head coach. The head coach came in and yelled at the cheerleaders and actually cried tears about it in front of the team. Shortly after, they scheduled a practice not on our regular night with little notice. I spoke to the coach and said my children had another commitment and would she prefer they come late or should we just skip the practice all together. I was told come in late. When my girls did come in late, the coach made a snarky comment to my 6 year old. They were then told at the end of the month that we would be getting two new cheerleaders in a couple of weeks, one of which had lots of skills and experience.

We (the team parents) received an email about missing practices after some absences without notice had occurred. The email stressed the importance of not missing practices. It also stated that some people had not paid their bills and would not be allowed to perform if their bills were not brought up to date. I feel this was inappropriate and that information should have went only to those whose bills were behind. I don’t feel other peoples financial situation is any of my business.
The new girls came, one being put in the back of the routine and one becoming the center of the entire routine out front and center of everything throughout the entire routine. We thought this unfair to the girls who had already been practicing for 2 months. We then thought, well maybe she’s really good and will be an asset to the team. This was not the case. Although at 6 she had some more skills than many of the team members, there are plenty of kids who have better more consistant skills. Out of 4 performances, she fell in the pyramid twice. We all hold our breath every time that part comes around. This child also turns head towards other team members to see what and when to do things, which would be understandable if we had our routine from the beginning, but they learned the whole thing since this child has been here. If someone doesn’t get something right away, they are pulled out of the stunt or routine and put in back. They are not shown how to do the thing properly. When this child couldn’t pull a scorpion, rather than put her in the back like others, she was given her own tumbling pass in front of all the others. In practice, although she more often than not, fails to stick the pyramid, despite multiple tries and different bases, they do not replace her. The “favorite” is constantly late and misses practices. The kids are told others can’t perform their stunts or practices when someone is absent. So the kids asked where the favorite was and were told “I’m not worried about her, she knows what she’s doing”. This kid also messes around in practice, not listening and putting her hands on others.

My child tells me this coach yells constantly. When she tells me she had a hard time with something, I ask her if the coach tells or shows her how to do it, she says no. The coach has no patience for kids who can’t get something on the first or second try. On different occasions she has told them she is “pissed off” and that they “look like crap”. I now tell my kids are not appropriate to repeat the language of this coach. We are allowed to watch practice once a month and I have seen her behavior first hand (at other times we can see them on the gym monitor). At our last competition, she called out another team member in front of the team who made a mistake and not a huge mistake, but never does that to her “favorite”.

The coach is so emotional, my kids come home stressed out from practices and especially competitions. Although my kids have learned new skills, it is due to the extra tumbling classes I pay extra for. They are not advancing very much if at all in their team practices. The coach is constantly making the routine harder even though she says they are not getting the old routine. Another coach filled in for one of our coaches one day. It was wonderful. When a kid didn’t hit something, he actually went over and showed them what to do without yelling at them. I am hoping most coaches are like this.

I am told by parents of the other teams that the full year teams are not run this way. My little one wants to do pop warner but not all stars because of this. I don’t want to waste a tremendous amount of money putting them in a program where they are degraded and don’t progress due to lack of instruction.

Can anyone tell me if this is typical? If so, then I guess all stars is not for us.
Thanks in advance!

In no way is this typical. You have the questionable priviledge of having a number of parent complaints all rolled into one gym. One suggestion - identify your city and state on this forum. Hopefully, there are choices available to you in your area. If so, chances are exceedingly good there are multiple people from your area who can talk about their gyms and why they like them. This hopefully will give you a starting point to do some research into other gyms. That is probably what most people on here will tell you to do - do your research. Tryout season is coming. All gyms should have information packets available for you to read. Pick up packets from a number of gyms and read them carefully. Info from one packet might help you know questions to ask in another gym. As you are new to this, this might sound overwhelming, but please don't get discouraged. You just need to find a good gym. All Star can be such a wonderful experience for your girls, please give it another chance. And truly, I think this forum could be such a help to you. I'm sure there are many others on here who could give you much better suggestions than I have given, so please keep checking and give people time to find your question and respond to it.

Another thought, just open another thread entitled something like:
Looking for a gym in City, State

When people are happy with their gym, they love to tell others about it and invite them in.

Agreed with @MissBee.

ALL gyms have their issues - you either deal or find a new gym. But just like anything else - if the good outweighs the bad...

Sorry for your terrible experience! You have taken a good first step coming to the boards. I would talk to a lot of other parents from other gyms at competitions to see what their opinions are of their programs. Unfourtunatley just like teachers, lawyers doctors or other professionals some people shouldn't be in their chosen professions!
1/2 year teams usually have to compete against full year teams and the stress of this may push a nervous coach to act out.... not excusing it, but stating that it does happen and 1/2 year coaches should be a higher level coach rather than sloppy seconds lol.
Your daughters have the opportunity to grow way past the pop warner level and enjoy a wonderful sport. Sorry your first experience left such a bad taste in your mouth. I would do some research just as you would for a school or a pediatrician... It will pay off in the end! Good luck!

That sounds like a terrible experience. I'm so sorry you and your children have been dealing with that. Allstars should be fun, and especially half year. Having coached a fair share of half year teams, it can be stressful because your trying to get 6 months worth of work done in a month. However, having issues with coaching, ownership or the gym shouldn't be a part of the equation.
My best advice to you is either find another gym after the season, or bring your kids back to pop warner. There are pros and cons to both, but your kids need to enjoy cheer.

I would suggest that your first step would be to talk to the owner of the gym, who may not be aware of the behavior of this particular coach. If you don't feel comfortable doing this now, do it when you exit the program. It may do absolutely nothing, but it also may spur either the coach to change or the owner to remove the coach from that role.

People who denigrate or use foul language towards very young children should not be coaching.

This is not only not typical, it's not acceptable. Coaches have a job, and that job is not to demean a child or make them feel inferior or not the "favorite" I would bring your issues up with the owners and if you do not feel that any positive results or changes will be made then it is time to switch gyms. If there are more frustrating days than fun and/or productive days then this is just not a good fit for you or your girls.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I thought about talking to the owner of the gym. She has been around a couple of times with our team, but not often. We were told our first line of communication is our team mom, which I am not comfortable doing this with, then the coach, then the cheerleading director, then the owner last. The team mom is thick as theives with the coach. I mentioned some of the stuff to coach, her reply was that she was insulted that we thought she was playing favorites and that she told my youngest daughter she was a super cheerleader. I told her that other people had noticed as well. These last few practices, she actually brought more kids out front, so the routine, still dominated by this one child, doesn't look as much like this kid and the rest of the team. The language thing came out later. Some other parents don't seem to have a problem with the yelling, some do, some don't. As I had mentioned, when the substitute coach came in, the head coach was on her best behavior and the kids had a great practice. I have spoken with some other parents who say the full year teams are run differently than the half year teams, none of these shinanagans. This gym does fairly well at competitions with the exception of the half year teams. The kids love their tumbling coaches at this gym, none of the stuff that goes on in practice happens in tumbling classes. I was told by one parent, if you want them to win, they have to put up with the yelling. Is this true? The kids

I think I will go to the owner of the gym after their last competition. If it were my place, I would want to know, but then again, some people either don't want to hear or acknowledge it. I don't want my girls to suffer retribution for my actions. Although other parents have noticed some of these things, most don't do anything about it. I feel like I am paying a lot of money for my kids to be there, so I should be able to voice my concerns.

I would rather not name my gym, but I am in Connecticut. We are centrally located between about 4 or 5 gyms, all 35 to 45 minutes away, so there are definately options, but how do you know until you are deep into it? I don't want to invest in an expensive uniform (I already have 2 for each girl, one from Pop Warner and one from allstars for each) only to find out it isn't a good fit. I would love to hear from some Connecticut moms on their experiences. As I said, I am new to all this, and its not what I expected. When my oldest was in middle school and high school cheer, things were different and there wasn't all this drama. My little ones are in 1st and 5th grades if that helps.

Thanks again everyone!

I wouldnt go there..i cheer for an allstar team and that gym (just kidding, coach) doesn''t seem like he is helpful. I would find another allstar gym if i were you.. that was a bad experience for your kids and you should tell them to stick out allstar cheerleading (if you or them wanted to stick it out) but find another gym because your gym now is unacceptable

I was told by one parent, if you want them to win, they have to put up with the yelling. Is this true?
I don't think this is necessarily true. I'm not much of a yeller (I will if I need to, but prefer not to). Each coach has a different style though, and whatever works best for them. I would talk to your owner. Also, if this is something you're thinking of doing next season, start looking at other gyms now. Ask lots of questions. Go visit practices and talk to the other moms there. I don't know a whole lot about CT gyms. Though, my good friend @coach12 coaches up in CT and may be able to help you with what's good in your area.
Good Luck!

Sorry you had such a bad experience. this is definitely not "typical". I do coach in CT. We have only 1 half year team this year, but we do everything possible to make sure they have a great experience & they are treated exactly the same as every other team in the gym. I have been coaching all stars for a lot of years & also coached pop warner for many years, so please feel free to pm me if i can give you any help or adivse.

I think all gyms have favorites but this gym is ridiculous! I would look for another allstar gym! Our coaches are amazing people and really love the kids.

Latest posts

Back