High School Does Your Coach Pick Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 11300

For as long as I can remember (and I'm old as Moses) high school cheer brings outside judges in to tryouts to pick team. Sure, we all know coach has the final word, but for the most part, it works out. We have a new coach this year who we are having major issues with. Anyway, she has talked the AD into letting HER pick the team next year. I see major problems with this. Does anyone out in Fierce Land have experience with coach only picking team and if so, how's it working?

At the high school where I used to coach, the coaches evaluated the athletes and picked the teams. It worked out very well. These coaches will be working with these athletes for an entire season, perhaps an entire year. Why should someone outside of the team pick the athletes? How ridiculous would it be if the head football or basketball coaches were not allowed to pick their teams?

I select my teams (I do bring in friends that coach elsewhere-HS/All Star/College), and so do all the coaches in my area that I know of. I'm going to be working with those kids all year, I'm going to be the one choreographing the routine, I get to pick the team members.
I don't understand why this is such an issue in cheerleading, and frankly-it contributes to the stereotype that it's a popularity contest and not a sport. Do the football/basketball/soccer coaches bring in outside people to decide their teams? No. So why should cheer?

My HS coach has always picked the team. She usually brings in the JV and middle school coach to judge as well so each kid gets 3 scores in all areas instead of 1, as the team is picked by the highest 20 scores.

My HS coach has picked her own team since she began coaching. she knows what she wants and it always works out perfectly. the freshmen and JV coaches are always at tryouts to give the varsity coach insight on the girls skills, personality, etc.

Back