Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

mstealtoyou

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 16, 2009
Having all daughters we buy a lot of makeup. In the last year or so we have really gotten into the ELF brand that they sell in Target. (Also on eyeslipsface.com) I was just wondering, for anybody who's tried stuff.........What's your favorite ELF product?

I just bought the High Definition Powder this week and I think I'm going to try it tomorrow.

My favourite is their basic $3 (AUD) eye shadow primer. Nothing moves after a full day at cheer comps. Better than their more expensive "studio collection" one. And it beats most of the more expensive brand name primers.

I own quite a bit of ELF products that I probably couldn't pick just one favorite. But I really like the Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder duo from their studio line. They have a new one that is cream blush/bronzer duo now that I really want to order because I love cream blushes and bronzers so much better than powders. I also want to try their new HD Blush because it looks like a fun product.

I also really like the Super Glossy Lip Shines because they're simple and the ones I have are not sticky at all, the Luscious Liquid Lipsticks are also great if you want some color without the shine (I really like Cherry Tart, perfect pinky red for my skin tone). The Shimmer Eyeliner Pencils are also really fun, I love the teal and plum ones when I want something different or for a pop of color in the fall and winter.

Last year, the gym didn't have a set makeup kit for everyone to buy. They just told us to get purple eyeshadow and to use lip color and blush. I ended up buying about three different purple eyeshadows, and none of them showed up enough. I bought a palate of eyeshadow in the Elf brand, and the purple on it is just about the most vibrant I've seen aside from what you can find in brands like Urban Decay and Mac. It's awesome. We used it all season last year. It stayed on pretty well, even without primer. Best thing was, the palate was on sale and I think it cost me like, 99 cents or something like that. Awesome.

That is my dilemma right now. Trying to get the teal eyeshadow to stay through 2 performances and also to get the teal to look a little more vibrant. We tried the eye primer yesterday and it helped a little bit. And I know I could get some Urban Decay or Mac. But I have a hard time justifying that high end makeup for a 13 year old to cheer in. But honestly after all the $$$$ I've spent in trial and error this season I could have just bought some high end eyeshadow and primer by now. It's very frustrating. LOL

Also I haven't bought a makeup kit in years and years. I ran out of the teal I bought for the last few years so I'm trying to find a replacement. The old one I loved was Mirabella......and this year we've added a smokey eye affect on the edges of the eyes and I am still working on making that look good! Clearly I am no makeup artist.

That is my dilemma right now. Trying to get the teal eyeshadow to stay through 2 performances and also to get the teal to look a little more vibrant. We tried the eye primer yesterday and it helped a little bit. And I know I could get some Urban Decay or Mac. But I have a hard time justifying that high end makeup for a 13 year old to cheer in. But honestly after all the $$$$ I've spent in trial and error this season I could have just bought some high end eyeshadow and primer by now. It's very frustrating. LOL

Also I haven't bought a makeup kit in years and years. I ran out of the teal I bought for the last few years so I'm trying to find a replacement. The old one I loved was Mirabella......and this year we've added a smokey eye affect on the edges of the eyes and I am still working on making that look good! Clearly I am no makeup artist.

Have you tried getting the brush a bit wet before you apply it? That makes the colors look really vibrant. It doesn't need to be soaked or anything, but what I do is just run the water in the sink (or use the leftover moisture after I brush my teeth), dip the brush in that, then in the color and pat/stipple it on the lid. I'm sure you have specific instructions from CSP but if you search for "teal makeup" on YouTube there are some teal smokey eye tutorials that might be worth checking out. The very first result is called "Real Deal Spring Teal Makeup" and she uses the wet brush technique with high end products, but it could be pretty easily adapted to use with any shadow

Have you tried getting the brush a bit wet before you apply it? That makes the colors look really vibrant. It doesn't need to be soaked or anything, but what I do is just run the water in the sink (or use the leftover moisture after I brush my teeth), dip the brush in that, then in the color and pat/stipple it on the lid. I'm sure you have specific instructions from CSP but if you search for "teal makeup" on YouTube there are some teal smokey eye tutorials that might be worth checking out. The very first result is called "Real Deal Spring Teal Makeup" and she uses the wet brush technique with high end products, but it could be pretty easily adapted to use with any shadow

Thank you I will watch that video tomorrow!! Other than where to put what color on the eye CSP is pretty flexible on the application. Thank you so much or the tips. I will try wetting the brush! How crazy would it be if this little tidbit was the thing that fixed my whole problem. LOL Water. On the Brush. It would be a miracle to my wallet. Thank you again!!

If the wet-brush technique doesn't work (which will really depend on how much pigment is in the shadow,) you could also try layering a teal cream shadow stick with the proper color over top, but I would recommend doing it from the crease down (clown-look is out this year,) and blend the regular shadow upward, slightly above the crease. It will give the shadow a bump of color underneath and give the teal shadow some staying-power.

If the wet-brush technique doesn't work (which will really depend on how much pigment is in the shadow,) you could also try layering a teal cream shadow stick with the proper color over top, but I would recommend doing it from the crease down (clown-look is out this year,) and blend the regular shadow upward, slightly above the crease. It will give the shadow a bump of color underneath and give the teal shadow some staying-power.

USE THESE,

Jumbo Eye Pencil | NYX Cosmetics

they are inexpensive and are amazing as an eyeshadow base (or even on their own!) I used it as a base for my eye glitter back in the day.

mstealtoyou for more vibrant eyeshadow, I would definitely recommend using a cream base in the same colour or even a light colour, like the NYX jumbo pencils that are mentioned above, which I might add, are AMAZING and are quite inexpensive for the quality. NYX is a great brand, so you might wanna take a look at their products in general. Also, I think it's worth it to shell out the money for a good primer, especially cream ones. You can get the best out of eyeshadows that might turn out to be very lackluster on their own. It goes a long way.

As for ELF products, I do like their cream blush stick things. I don't remember the name, but I have one that is a coral colour with golden shimmer.

Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate all the help!

Back