Execution Or Difficulty???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All of you are screaming, execution, execution, execution but when someone gets mad that Team A who was solid and clean but not as difficult, is beaten by Team B who falls on stunts and tumbling and is more difficult Everyone screams Difficulty, difficulty, difficulty! You can't have it both ways folks.
Exactly!!!

My sister was a gymnast and my daughter is in competitive cheer. I noticed that getting her handsprings better in form has helped her move faster along with tucks and layouts, and I think the ultimate goal of throwing fulls needs to have well executed form. This might not pay off at the beginning of competitions but I think will make a difference in the long run!
My daughter cheers but our gym is connected to a gymnastics gym. The owner/former gymnast teaches my daughter how to tumble and is always working on her form!!! Form is everything. If your bhs is not long you will never have the power to throw level 5 skills!!!

If you aren't doing level appropriate skills you don't have a chance to begin with. I was basing my response of execution off a team doing level appropriate skills, but trying to decide whether to spend time making it harder or cleaner.

If you aren't doing level appropriate skills you don't have a chance to begin with. I was basing my response of execution off a team doing level appropriate skills, but trying to decide whether to spend time making it harder or cleaner.

Precisely my thoughts. You must be doing level-appropriate skills to have a shot. If you can't do skills in the level you are competing at, then your execution is basically worthless.

It seems as though judges say execution wins, however in my experience as a coach, judge, and parent of a child on a team that difficulty almost always out scores execution, before the deductions are accounted for. A clean & executed routine places first likely as a result of too many deductions in the more difficult routine. This happened to us this year in the Sr L4 division. We had a way harder routine (360 stall to stretch combo with total of 5 body position changes to full down) with a stunt that came down early, and a team with no L4 difficulty in their stunts (straight up to stretch, scale, arabesque) but no falls beat us.

As an athlete, I would prefer execution because that way, we would hit it no matter what (hopefully) and wouldn't embarrass ourselves... Cause honestly, dropping a stunt and especially no throws are embarrassing...

I would also like to do the best and hardest things out there... but once again, not if we can't hit them...

I would go for Difficulty in the summer, and try and work on it and hope that by competition season you won't have to worry if it will hit... and if it doesn't hit 10/10, then water it down for Execution...

I'm a pretty new coach, but I've been going for a clean performance first. It builds confidence, which lets my athletes really sell what they're doing; when the difficulty level is too high, they get nervous and that comes through loud and clear, so the overall performance suffers. Maybe I've been wrong... ?

Back