Flying On The Opposite Leg

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At our gym we stunt on the "wrong" leg also. It started 6 years ago when we opened and thats the leg our flyers at the time were best at and since we have tought everyone else the same way. Everyone talks about how weird it is!

At Outlaws in NY we pull the right leg and stand on the left too :) The funny part is, I've had several parents think its a gimmick because we are "outlaws" so we stunt on the wrong leg!
I guess whatever works!! We are in the process of trying to switch it over now and its not easy!

Back when I cheered all-stars in... 2000-2003, we flew on the "wrong leg" all the time. It was easier, and our fliers were more flexible pulling their right legs.

I personally don't have a preference as to what leg teams fly on, but now as a coach, I make an effort to keep my team flying on their right leg and pulling their left, only because that's what the majority of teams do these days. (And for my cheerleaders who will one day move onto high school and collegiate cheer, I'd hate for them to have to re-learn how to fly/base/backspot right-leg stunts if they originally learned left.)

To the OP, best of luck to your daughter learning how to fly on the other leg. I'm sure that as long as she stays focused, keeps practicing, and works on stretching every day, she'll be fine! :)

I've been flying on my left leg for nine years but a year ago i had to learn to fly on my right when i became scotcheer staff. Didn't take long to adjust, just felt extremely odd and my balance wasn't the best. Just kept practicing on that leg and now my right leg is my strongest to fly on. Works out great being able to fly on both legs when it comes to tic-tocs and pyramids.

Our flyers(including me) on my team all stands on our left, pull up the right. My coach told me the reason why we fly on the opposite leg, is because when the gym first startet up, the flyer was more flexible on the right leg. :- )

If i was a flyer (which im not thank the lord) I would definatly have to stand on my left and pull my right. My scale and scorpion are horrendous if I pull my left.

can you think of any reason why this team taught her to fly on the opposite leg?

I find that generally the reason people teach flyers to fly on the "wrong leg" is because girls tend to be more flexible with their right leg. Instead of focusing on stretching and working up the skills with the left leg, they take the easier option of getting them to fly on the wrong leg. I think this is worse in the long term, however, as majority of teams around the world fly on the right leg. Similarly, I think the reason flying on the right leg (pulling skills on the left leg) became the norm is because in general people are more balanced on their right legs.

I think there's been some good suggestions so far to try and rectify the problem for your cp. Practice makes perfect - she'll have to really focus on stretching that left leg. Good news is once she gets to tic-tocs she'll be fabulous because she'll already have that established balance on her left leg that most flyers new to learning tic-tocs lack! :)

Keep her stretching both legs. It will help her in pyramids,tic tocs, and switch ups if she is strong on both. Have her practice pulling stunts standing on a soup can. It works! I've done this since I was 6.

Back