Haven't Advanced In 3 Years- Tips????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2016
I started cheer 3 years ago- but my tumbling has seen little to no progress. I take tumbling classes also.

I joined with a year of gymnastics so I had the basics (Walkovers, round offs etc.) and my stunting has seen a lot of improvement- but I haven't learnt any new skills since then. I'm still in senior 1, and there have been so many who have joined, got their bhs and moved up, but I'm still here.

Should I have got new skills by now? Or is it normal to spend this much time on level 1? I'm not trying to be ungrateful, it's just a shame to see teammates getting standing tucks when I'm not making progress.

I'd appreciate any tips- how long does it usually take to get past level 1 and how can I learn tumbles (especially back handsprings)?

Thank you!

I started cheer 3 years ago- but my tumbling has seen little to no progress. I take tumbling classes also.

I joined with a year of gymnastics so I had the basics (Walkovers, round offs etc.) and my stunting has seen a lot of improvement- but I haven't learnt any new skills since then. I'm still in senior 1, and there have been so many who have joined, got their bhs and moved up, but I'm still here.

Should I have got new skills by now? Or is it normal to spend this much time on level 1? I'm not trying to be ungrateful, it's just a shame to see teammates getting standing tucks when I'm not making progress.

I'd appreciate any tips- how long does it usually take to get past level 1 and how can I learn tumbles (especially back handsprings)?

Thank you!

I would say the first step is to take tumbling privates with a coach from your gym. You say you're taking tumbling classes? How many days a week/how often are you doing these classes?

Have you started working backhandsprings at all in your tumbling classes? Even just drills for them? It may be that your level one skills are not solid enough for your tumbling coach to move on to work on level 2 skills. Everyone progresses at a different rate, so try not to compare yourself with your teammates. However, I know it can be frustrating.

Each athlete is different and progress at different paces. There is nothing wrong with that. Your best bet are private lessons with a good coach that has the ability to teach you level 2 + skills. Privates are great because they are one-on-one and focused on skills of the individual athlete unlike classes that are often harder to get the attention you and your skills need. It took my sister a year to learn her back handspring but she was 5 back then and got it at 6. She is now 10 years old and working doubles and standing fulls. It's been a combination of hard work, the right coaches teaching the right technique, practice, and just wanting to do her best. She still has a long way to go, but hard work pays off.

You can do it. Get a good coach to train you. Privates to get you going on your level 2 skills. Once you nail that back handspring, you will be more likely to find confidence to keep progressing with your skills.

Good luck!

It took me about a year for me to get my back hand spring. I got my back tuck 5 days before my back hand spring.

Are you participating in some kind of conditioning program geared specifically for tumbling? If not, I would encourage you to do so. All of the instruction in the world is not going to do any good if you body is not strong/ flexible enough to do the skill. Some kids have to work harder at that part than others. Daily drills and conditioning outside of class are often necessary to gain a new skill. Private lessons would probably be beneficial as well. My CP is slow to gain new tumbling skills. It took 2 years from the day she stepped into the gym to get her BHS and another 2 1/2 to get her tuck. She had to drill and condition outside of classes and private lessons to get there.

What is your level of dedication and work ethic like?

Not trying to be rude, but I have seen kids in a similar scenario where they complain about not advancing despite taking multiple classes and privates. What they don't talk about is how they put virtually no effort in to improve and spend more time socializing at practices instead of actually working.

If you really are using your practice time efficiently and putting in the effort I really would recommend some private lessons with a new coach to get an evaluation at the least. As suggested above not all coaches and athletes mesh which makes it difficult for the athlete learn.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone has different strengths, and other things needing more conditioning or drills. Private lesson can get exercises and conditioning schedule specific to your situation. Also with @SparkleSpankies, different class times or another instructor voice may click in a way that makes sense to you. Consider what outside balance is supportive for your goals like rest, nutrition, family and friendships, school, other activities etc. Stay encouraging of yourself.

All about what you put in to getting those skills. Its more than just tumbling classes too, you gotta be mentally focused on your goals to get there. Set big goals and small goals, chase em both and celebrate the successes along the way.

Back