College Hazing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
Talking to many of my friends cheering at several different schools, I was surprised to find this is an issue in college cheerleading.

Although my friends stories from most of the schools were pretty much harmless activities, I just wanted to throw this out there so that people are aware.

I was New Member education for my sorority, meaning I educated incoming members. Because my position pertained to new members, I was constantly sent anti-hazing information, and I consider myself pretty informed. I was also very lucky to come from a sorority with strong antihazing policies, as well as a university wide Greek life with a no tolerance policy. As a Greek, we were constantly fighting the negative stereotype and since I have heard things about several different cheer programs (even if they were small and did no physical harm) I wanted to give a little warning so that cheerleading does not have to do the same thing in the future.

Hazing can be anything from physical harm to emotional harm, intended or not, from actions that are forced to VOLUNTARY. Any peer pressure or "strong suggestions" that single someone out can turn into the legal term for hazing, which is illegal. Examples of hazing can be singling out new members or a certain group of athletes to do a certain activity, embarass them through different outfits (heck, they don't even have to be embarassing! Simply having freshman in different colored shirts then everyone else is considered hazing), maybe even doing something such as a scavenger hunt. Legally even the smallest acts can be considered hazing. If anyone, be it a team member, parent, or outsider was to turn in your organization for hazing, the team or individuals could be removed from the university, arrested , and charged with hazing.

No "tradition" or "well it was done to me" is worth your nationals ring, the football games you sideline at, your college degree, or time in jail.

All I am asking is that you think about what your doing.

I once knew of a program who was suspended from their university for a year for making new members pick orange sprinkles off cookies that had rainbow colored sprinkles. Do you really think those guys NOW agree that it was worth it?

You may think it brings your program I team together, maybe in some odd way it might; but there are safer ways to do that which do not risk things you are working hard for.

If your a coach, make sure it isn't happening.
If your a senior / captain, say the "tradition" ends with you.
If your a freshman, say you won't be a victim to hazing.

Stand up for yourself. Protect yourself. Don't give our sport a bad reputation. Whether you are at a big, well known school or a small school that doesn't compete, your a leader on your campus and this isn't acceptable. Set the standard for good behavior.

I do not know of anywhere that it has been turned in recently, and I am not naming schools I have friends at because, honestly, things they have done were level 1 (out of 3) hazing, they do not cause physical harm and are seemingly harmless pranks, that I do not think we're intended as hazing. I didn't post this to get anyone in trouble, and pointing out actual teams and their actions would do more harm then good. I posted it to inform teams and organizations that things that they don't even realize are hazing, are indeed illegal.

Yes, it sadly does at some schools. I was lucky to be at a School and in an organization it wasn't, but it's not always the case.

In fact, high School athletics is one of the most common places for hazing.

Hazing has drastically declined in the past 20 years. The extent is not even close to wha it use to be. Today your rarely hear about level 3 hazing, physical harm. But, level 1 hazing is still pretty common and I believe it is because people dont even know what they are doing in a crime.

Simple things such sleep deprevation, an odd dress code, things that might even be fun like a scavenger hunt or sleepovers.

To be sure, people should ask themselves:
Would I be ok telling my mom, grandma, coach, school administration?
Would I be ok with this bein filmed for the news or even YouTube?
Is there anyway this could physically or emotionally harm someone?
Is there ANY drinking involved, even voluntary?

If your even hesitant on any of those questions, it could be hazing.

My suggestion to someone who thinks they are being hazed or thinks a friend is, is this:

First step: Go to a coach, in a court of law, they would probably be held responsible so they would most likely put it to an end instantly
Second step: If that doesn't work, go to their boss, if nessacary call a hazing hotline.

- If violent, call the police!

Yes, it sadly does at some schools. I was lucky to be at a School and in an organization it wasn't, but it's not always the case.

In fact, high School athletics is one of the most common places for hazing.

Hazing has drastically declined in the past 20 years. The extent is not even close to wha it use to be. Today your rarely hear about level 3 hazing, physical harm. But, level 1 hazing is still pretty common and I believe it is because people dont even know what they are doing in a crime.

Simple things such sleep deprevation, an odd dress code, things that might even be fun like a scavenger hunt or sleepovers.

To be sure, people should ask themselves:
Would I be ok telling my mom, grandma, coach, school administration?
Would I be ok with this bein filmed for the news or even YouTube?
Is there anyway this could physically or emotionally harm someone?
Is there ANY drinking involved, even voluntary?

If your even hesitant on any of those questions, it could be hazing.

My suggestion to someone who thinks they are being hazed or thinks a friend is, is this:

First step: Go to a coach, in a court of law, they would probably be held responsible so they would most likely put it to an end instantly
Second step: If that doesn't work, go to their boss, if nessacary call a hazing hotline.

- If violent, call the police!
question?
At my high school. (I graduated in 06) girls pledging a certain sorority had to wear the same outfit several days in a row. (maybe 2 days maybe 4 I don't remember)
I just remember seeing several girls throughout the day and I was like omg they wore that shirt and pants yesterday. I then told them that it looked like the same outfit they wore yesterday and they said, yes we have to and they told me the sorority name.

So is that hazing or am I confused?

question?
At my high school. (I graduated in 06) girls pledging a certain sorority had to wear the same outfit several days in a row. (maybe 2 days maybe 4 I don't remember)
I just remember seeing several girls throughout the day and I was like omg they wore that shirt and pants yesterday. I then told them that it looked like the same outfit they wore yesterday and they said, yes we have to and they told me the sorority name.

Yes, that's hazing.

question?

You had sororities in your high school? Some things are so baffling to me.

kyyyyyyxo this is a great post. I've seen this with school teams, All Star teams and was aware of it with colleges.

Some use these initiations as a way to make it special that you are now part of an elite team or one with lots of tradition. It was sad to me to know the coaches that were aware and the "mean girls" spirit that is sometimes involved. It is a very slipery slope.

There are many positive ways to make new members of a team feel honored at the opportunity.

As an incoming freshman, they picked a song for us freshmen to sing. Everytime they gave us a quarter, we had to stand up and sing our song. It was great fun. This also wasn't in the USA, so it may be different.

I remember reading an article about some ugly types of hazing, ones of girls having to wear some inappropriate outfit or perform various inappropriate activities. With pictures taken. Yay internet!

Heck, at my school (a Catholic HS), the soccer team used to haze the new girls. They made them run around the track or come into our VB practice and chant something inappropriate (oddly enough, it was the same thing year after year. Weird, really.) Don't know if it continued after my soph year of HS. We considered doing a funny idea (have a sleepover, wake the freshmen up in the middle of the night, have someone dressed up as the Marshmallow Queen, make them eat a marshmallow off a tree with no hands, send them all back to sleep, when they wake up in the morning act like we have no clue what they're talking about..), but I suppose it would have been hazing. We also never did it, so props to us.

When I cheered at college here we had Initiation at the start of every year and the Freshmen had to make a cheer uniform out of trash bags to wear to the bar and club we were going to. There was a list of challenges and things to do too. Most college athletic teams here have some form of Initiation.
I guess this is kind of similar to hazing then?

When I cheered at college here we had Initiation at the start of every year and the Freshmen had to make a cheer uniform out of trash bags to wear to the bar and club we were going to. There was a list of challenges and things to do too. Most college athletic teams here have some form of Initiation.
I guess this is kind of similar to hazing then?
Our university banned initiations because of hazing. Our rugby team always took it too far (drinking vodka out of a sheep's head etc). We used to have 'team bonding' where we did dares and what we considered tame stuff but I think some of it might have been uncomfortable for some of the girls. One girl was required to pretend to pee like a guy in the mens bathroom (and that was a tame one)

Back