All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When trying out for a comp. College cheer program, what position has the most competition: flyer, back spot, side base?

In my experience, FLYER. Many have twice as many trying out as they need!

You also have to figure that with your D1A large coed programs, technically every girl in the room is looking for a flyer spot on some level as the stunts will all be based by guys!

Also, if you're thinking all girl, beware of the girls who can BASE AND FLY. Those are the ones with the advantage, especially if they can do both well.

When trying out for a comp. College cheer program, what position has the most competition: flyer, back spot, side base?
I think it depends on the year. For my high school, sometimes we have 10 flyers try out with varsity level skills and other times we're desperate for more, same with every other position (this year we're short on bases and have an overabundance of flyers). I'd assume it's the same way. However, there are less sports for flyers than bases, so if you have an equal number of flyers and bases try out, there's more competition for the flyers. The best thing to do is be versatile - if you can fly and base, there's more spots for you than if you only fly. Same with bases - you can't be only a main base. You have to be able to main and secondary. I'm never going to fly but I can main, secondary, and back so I'm not that worried that I can't fly.

I think it depends on the year. For my high school, sometimes we have 10 flyers try out with varsity level skills and other times we're desperate for more, same with every other position (this year we're short on bases and have an overabundance of flyers). I'd assume it's the same way. However, there are less sports for flyers than bases, so if you have an equal number of flyers and bases try out, there's more competition for the flyers. The best thing to do is be versatile - if you can fly and base, there's more spots for you than if you only fly. Same with bases - you can't be only a main base. You have to be able to main and secondary. I'm never going to fly but I can main, secondary, and back so I'm not that worried that I can't fly.

Does your HS have girls try out by positions, keep positions in mind? Our local HS just have you try out on tumbling, dance, jumps, and motions. They score you. The top scores make the team. It is probably one of the reasons stunts are not their strength.

Does your HS have girls try out by positions, keep positions in mind? Our local HS just have you try out on tumbling, dance, jumps, and motions. They score you. The top scores make the team. It is probably one of the reasons stunts are not their strength.
No, but stunting is on the scoresheet. They do end up putting top scores on varsity regardless of position. Lots of girls are having to learn to base this year. They put 24 on the team and there will be 4 alternates (only 20 compete) so basically, you can learn to base (if you don't end up flying) or be an alternate. Stunt groups switch around a bunch before they're finalized.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have my HS girls tryout with ONE position for the stunting portion, but they list on their paperwork any others they can do. Ex: You may have based at your actual tryout, but I can see on your form and have seen during clinics that you can base and back.

I also make sure everyone knows that just because you stunted as a ____ at tryouts, does not mean you will be ____ all season. I reserve the right to make changes.

I'm one of those multi postion girls because I'm on the short side and when I did AS I flew, and my freshman year I flew after one girl got injured. But traditionally on my HS team there has been itty bitties so I was always a tumbler in the front bc we had enough bases, until this year when I based. Every so often I practiced flying in the elite stunt, which will help because I don't know if I can base in college.

I'm one of those multi postion girls because I'm on the short side and when I did AS I flew, and my freshman year I flew after one girl got injured. But traditionally on my HS team there has been itty bitties so I was always a tumbler in the front bc we had enough bases, until this year when I based. Every so often I practiced flying in the elite stunt, which will help because I don't know if I can base in college.
My first year of allstar I based (I couldn't tell you which side, I broke my arms after 2 comps so I didn't base that long). Since then I've always backed in allstar.
My sophomore year of HS I was secondary, junior year i mained, senior year I'm back spotting. :cool:

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Bringing back the motions thing, such a big deal! I know my coach is going back and fourth putting the final touches on our roster for this year and motions are such a big factor. Ladies (and gentleman) thinking about college cheer: PLEASE work on your motions. Might be a basic skill but do yourself a favor and don't let that be the reason you get cut!

Okay, I'll hop of my motions soapbox...for now ;)

Totally agree with the post that if girls can fly AND base that is an asset. My CP has flown and based on level 5 teams for the past 4 years-her college has both Small Coed and Large Coed, and even though she was picked bc she is a good flyer, she can also step in and base baskets or trad. all girl group if needed. Being well rounded helped so much.

BTW @King, your team is in our conference and just checked the schedule and y'all are coming to our house for Homecoming! Do you travel with the team? Does the whole cheer squad travel? I know at our school the Large Coed travels and then they take one stunt group from Small Coed to football games. I am new to this college cheer mama game!

Totally agree with the post that if girls can fly AND base that is an asset. My CP has flown and based on level 5 teams for the past 4 years-her college has both Small Coed and Large Coed, and even though she was picked bc she is a good flyer, she can also step in and base baskets or trad. all girl group if needed. Being well rounded helped so much.

BTW @King, your team is in our conference and just checked the schedule and y'all are coming to our house for Homecoming! Do you travel with the team? Does the whole cheer squad travel? I know at our school the Large Coed travels and then they take one stunt group from Small Coed to football games. I am new to this college cheer mama game!

Never a good sign when you are someone's homecoming game!

I am backing out of actual gameday and just helping more on the back end and for competition. The squad will travel a mixture of small coed and coed up to whatever your stadium will allow (usually it is a max of 12 people). Depending on makeup of squad large coed always travels better but you are usually sacrificing girls who tend to be better performers and look better at just being a cheerleader. Which college? NC State?

Never a good sign when you are someone's homecoming game!

I am backing out of actual gameday and just helping more on the back end and for competition. The squad will travel a mixture of small coed and coed up to whatever your stadium will allow (usually it is a max of 12 people). Depending on makeup of squad large coed always travels better but you are usually sacrificing girls who tend to be better performers and look better at just being a cheerleader. Which college? NC State?
Yes NCSU!! It was her dream for 10 years and she made the squad! (Pretty sure it is small coed, but they don't set teams till August). So, I am trying to keep cool about it (but I am over the moon!). So now that All stars is over it is just keeping her on track with working out, eating healthy and keeping up tumbling till summer practices start.

Random question, when you cheer for a college that is out of state, do the colleges usually wave the out of state tuition since you will be on their cheer team?

Random question, when you cheer for a college that is out of state, do the colleges usually wave the out of state tuition since you will be on their cheer team?

That is something some colleges are able to offer. We are trying to get it but dont have it currently.

Latest posts

Back