OT Jerry From "cheer"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I saw a comment under the CA announcement that questioned why they, as an industry leader, did not warn other gyms of this accusation and that they had reported him locally and up the chain.

I’m certainly not for Salem Witch trials, but I would like to see this change. I don’t know how to do it legally, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Wouldnt be surprised in the least if this happens a lot more then is known. Especially in allstar when you have so many athletes that are above 18 mixed in with so many younger athletes.

I saw a comment under the CA announcement that questioned why they, as an industry leader, did not warn other gyms of this accusation and that they had reported him locally and up the chain.

I’m certainly not for Salem Witch trials, but I would like to see this change. I don’t know how to do it legally, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Yeah I saw that too.

My only guess is that, in the early stages of something like this, you can’t just go around “maligning” an individual’s reputation before you know anything for sure. There’s always the chance the allegations aren’t true, and you have to consider that. Especially with allegations like these, which will taint anyone’s reputation even if proved untrue. And I’m assuming CA probably very much wished they were untrue. “Innocent until proven guilty” and all that.

I mean it looks really bad now because he’s since admitted to everything, but I’m sure CA felt how we did at first: didn’t want to believe it and hoped it wasn’t true.

Wouldnt be surprised in the least if this happens a lot more then is known. Especially in allstar when you have so many athletes that are above 18 mixed in with so many younger athletes.

Oh yeah, it definitely happens often. There was someone on this forum too who was caught, they’re everywhere, truly.

It’s just that Jerry is extremely high profile, coming off the success of the TV show and other main stream media appearances.

Oh yeah, it definitely happens often. There was someone on this forum too who was caught, they’re everywhere, truly.

It’s just that Jerry is extremely high profile, coming off the success of the TV show and other main stream media appearances.
It's been a subculture of cheer for years and the powers that be have looked the other way. Cheer has so many kids and young adults that have little to no parent involvement in their lives and/or parents who don't support cheer at all, so they find a "home" within the cheer community. These kids form relationships - albeit toxic and create their worth and identity based on their skills and/or popularity within cheer. The lines get blurred and what we as society know is absolutely unacceptable and illegal seems almost normal to them. Add in coaches who ignore the behavior or worse in some cases participate in it, gym owners who allow these kids to coach to work off their tuition and competition fees, and a governing body that worries more about bow size than convicted sexual predators owning gyms and it's been an implosion waiting to happen for years. The list of guilty parties is long and Jerry - as guilty as he is - likely was exposed to this culture for years and is now the sacrificial lamb for the industry.

^^^Yes!

I also wonder how healthy of a dynamic it is to have:

*Kids moving from home to cheer on teams with people 18+. (Remember even not-open Worlds teams have college students on them who are 18/19.)

*Living with host folks which sometimes include athlete parents with differing degrees of parental involvement.

*Sometimes kids are living with other older teammates or with aged out athletes.

It's the perfect environment for this sort of thing to happen in.

Because if you're on your dream open team, living with a host family, and a teammate sexually assaults you, you're not telling your host mom because her loyalty is to the program. You're not telling your coach because you don't want to be kicked off. And you're not calling mom and dad because they have allowed you to do this and sacrifice a lot to pay those cheer costs - you don't want to worry them.

You're going to suffer in silence.

It's a predators paradise.

I thought the boy was super brave to tell his story. Hopefully he will help others come forward or avoid it happening.

I’m genuinely shocked and disgusted. I am so sorry all of his victims had to experience this and I hope anyone else doing this same behavior is also investigated and charged.
Count on it and it will be big. Lots of information will be coming out.

This is sad, but needs to happen. For those who are shocked, good. This has been happening openly in the industry since the beginnings of Worlds and the other Varsity expansion efforts. It has been an industry and primarily one entity that profits from every aspect of the youth activity and therefore many decisions and lack of safety process have been made in the interest of participation and profit. Always just enough to say "we're being safe though, look at this new thing"

The thread of Varsity, NCA, UCA, Jambrands as corporations, with USA Cheer, USASF, IASF, ACCAA, NACCC and school agenies all governing for their benefit needs to be broken down and fixed.

This is sad, but needs to happen. For those who are shocked, good. This has been happening openly in the industry since the beginnings of Worlds and the other Varsity expansion efforts. It has been an industry and primarily one entity that profits from every aspect of the youth activity and therefore many decisions and lack of safety process have been made in the interest of participation and profit. Always just enough to say "we're being safe though, look at this new thing"

The thread of Varsity, NCA, UCA, Jambrands as corporations, with USA Cheer, USASF, IASF, ACCAA, NACCC and school agenies all governing for their benefit needs to be broken down and fixed.

Yes.

It's been crazy to me for a long time that Varsity:

*makes the rules
*enforces the rules.
*trains the judges
*owns the gyms
*dresses the teams.

Comparatively, I put on a charity event type pageant thing every year for a school district.

If I:

*directed the pageant.
*coached 90% of the contestants (who just happened to say, be my family)
*judged the pageant
*did hair and make up for the pageant.

People would be screaming conflict of interest all over the place and the event would be cancelled.

Yes.

*makes the rules
*enforces the rules.
*trains the judges
*owns the gyms
*dresses the teams.

Comparatively, I put on a charity event type pageant thing every year for a school district.

If I:

*directed the pageant.
*judged the pageant

People would be screaming conflict of interest all over the place and the event would be cancelled.

I think people who have gotten frustrated either walk away with their child or suck it up because they don't want to crush their child's dream.

Yes.

*makes the rules
*enforces the rules.
*trains the judges
*owns the gyms
*dresses the teams.

If I:

*directed the pageant.
*judged the pageant

It is quite stunning when you think about it. But they’ve kind of got us over a barrel. What are we going to do, boycott? Of course not. There’s nowhere else to go to cheer. They ARE cheerleading, as they like to remind us.

JUST read about the antitrust lawsuit, horrified but not shocked about the fact that more is coming.

Back