High School Jv Tryouts!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

just be sharp. when you dont get something do it again without being told.
it depends on what theyre looking for

As a coach, I'd say keep the super showy facials to a minimum. High school is more traditional and collegiate vs the glitzy world you've been in. But like what the past poster said, it depends on what they are looking for. Be coachable, positive and keep working. If you are standing around waiting to be told to work on something, it comes across as lazy. GOOD LUCK! OH, and keep "what your old coaches taught you" comments away, things will be done differently. For instance, your jump preps will probably be quite different or your tumbling preps and such. Know what I mean?

My advice would be to...
-Go in the front when they are teaching things. That way you will be able to see everything that they are teaching you.
-Don't be afraid to ask questions
-On the day of tryouts wear school colors, and make sure you look "game ready". Natural makeup (no glitter!) hair all the way up, with a bow.
-Sharp motions! Judges will be looking for this.
-Natural facials, a smile will work just fine.
-If they tell you to do something, do it.
-Confidence! You got this!!!

This is just what I came up with off the top of my head. If you need anymore tips just message me:)

Be humble and coachable. The worst is when girls come into high school tryouts with the "I'm way better than anyone here! I've done allstars for _____ years/ I have ______tumbling, etc." attitude or the "I already know everything" complex. No matter how skilled an athlete is, if they think they run the show, have a negative attitude and won't listen to the coach, then there is no potential to learn/grow further from being on the team and the kid will not be picked. That doesn't mean going in to tryouts without being confident, but it just means don't go in the first day acting like you own the place and showing off. If you follow directions, work hard, and are genuinely enthusiastic/positive/have a good attitude WHETHER IN THE PRESENCE OF THE COACH OR NOT, you will do great. (They are always watching, even when you may think they are not! ;)

Project your voice! In AS there is no chant section so this is where I've seen kids have the most trouble.
And like a poster above said...if they ask you to do something, never say "I can't" or "I won't".

Back