High School Jv Vs. Varsity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2014
Today, Basketball cheerleading tryout results got posted! (I made Varsity!) but a lot of my friends, who I cheered JV with for football cheer, are still on JV for basketball season, and they've cheered way longer, and they're not happy about it. And when they asked what I made and I told them Varsity, I was told by several of my old team mates, my friends, that I didn't deserve it. (Even though I worked really really hard to be on Varsity)
What should I do? Because I don't want to be hated by everyone for being a newbie and making Varsity, because I have to see these people most days of the week and I really want to get along with all of them!

Today, Basketball cheerleading tryout results got posted! (I made Varsity!) but a lot of my friends, who I cheered JV with for football cheer, are still on JV for basketball season, and they've cheered way longer, and they're not happy about it. And when they asked what I made and I told them Varsity, I was told by several of my old team mates, my friends, that I didn't deserve it. (Even though I worked really really hard to be on Varsity)
What should I do? Because I don't want to be hated by everyone for being a newbie and making Varsity, because I have to see these people most days of the week and I really want to get along with all of them!
You go out there and cheer in the spot that you earned. The jealousy will pass, and you will bond with your new teammates. Congrats!

Congrats on making Varsity...but sad the excitement is tempered by your friends. Have a fun season!!! this is my daughter's first year and she is loving it.

Just have fun, I also went from JV co captain to Varsity co captain and that made people upset, but when I started showing why I deserved this spot, people came around. if they're your real friends, they'll want you to succeed.

With the HS program I coach, JV and Varsity are similarly skill-based rather than seniority/grade-level based.

I've had girls deal with your situation pretty regularly (ex: make Varsity leaving several former JV teammates upset because they've been cheering longer.)

I echo the sentiments above. They'll get over it. Trust me.

With the HS program I coach, JV and Varsity are similarly skill-based rather than seniority/grade-level based.

I've had girls deal with your situation pretty regularly (ex: make Varsity leaving several former JV teammates upset because they've been cheering longer.)

I echo the sentiments above. They'll get over it. Trust me.
Are football and basketball considered two separate cheer seasons in your program? Do you have new tryouts for basketball?

No. Both sports are one cheer season. One tryout.
Just curious. Since it officially becomes a sport in NYS on November 1st, they now need to have tryouts for the winter season. In the past it was just one tryout and that covered both sports and competitions.

This is the story of my life. Every school team I have tried out for I have always made the team and my friends either not make the team or make JV. What makes it worse if when I found out I made the team/s my friends would be upset and crying about them not making it so I couldn't be happy about it. Make sure they know that just because you are on varsity doesn't mean you are gonna ditch them. They may feel as now that you are varsity you won't want to hang out with them as much. If they can't get past their own jealously/feelings and be happy for you then they aren't that good of friends.

As a high school coach I can tell you that your friend's may not have made varsity because of that same attitude that they are now unleashing on you. We took freshman on our varsity team this year and there were some juniors who didn't make varsity (maily because of attitude) that were unhappy. We told them if they didn't like the decision they don't have to cheer, plain and simple. Do not let anyone take away your excitement over what you've earned. You worked for your spot and you've earned it. Go enjoy it and bond with your new teammates.

Back