Main Base Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 4, 2012
Hey guys, I used to be a backspot but now I am a mainbase.. does anybody have tips on how to get stronger and become a better base? I tend to have a problem of pushing the stunt group over when we go up, which makes it a lot harder for my secondary, and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Make sure to use your legs. what to you mean pushing them over? like the whole stunt is falling over to the other side or the whole group just moves a little?

Remember to lift from your legs, not your back. If there is ever an instance where your secondary base is shorter than you, spread your legs farther apart to be equal. If you don't, your back will KILL. Make sure to hold as much of the flyer's foot as possible. And about pushing your group, I used to do the opposite..I'd pull it over my head. Pretend your group is in a really tiny tube and there is no air outside the tube and your flyer will die if you push her out of the tube. ...is that too weird? Yeah probably.

Ditto to the tube thing!
Another tip is to think of it just a straight up extension, keep your feet planted and bring her foot up close to your body. It's really no different than a straight up for you! Also, make sure your secondary base is coming towards you. You guys should literally be chest to chest. When I was a main I could feel my other base breathing haha. But I've done both and when I was a secondary I had the same problem with libs as you're having. I would try to get up under it and my main base would like back away from so it kept moving. We never quite got the hang of it...but have a more experienced main watch your group and they will help! Good luck!

basically what everyone else said!
- use your legs not your back
- lol at the tube thing but it's true. you should be looking up at the foot at an angle that is SLIGHTLY in front of you just not behind you/directly over you/over the secondary
- when looking up at the foot don't arch your back!
- squeeze the foot & get a good grip so you have enough control
- for full ups/tic tocs block hard with your arms locked out using your shoulders
- for full ups/360's/anything spinning keep the foot over your head don't let it go behind you & don't push it over the secondary's head you have the most control so control it!
- arms up for the cradle so you can absorb the catch vs. waiting at the bottom/catching too low

Back