All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jamfest made it clear that NO.... Girls 'Coed' Stunting will not count as hitting the scoresheet!

I know Jamfest coed stunt rules explicitly said it was one male and one female. I remember a discussion on the boards that it was discriminatory to the beastly girls who could coed stunt as good as the boys, but I don't remember the endpoint of that discussion.

Gender studies 101: gender is a social construct. Sex, as in biological anatomy, is determined from birth but GENDER, as in the way we behave, perform and act out our sex, is entirely a product of society. And I don't particularly like the kind of society the USASF is/was trying to promote with this "guideline".

Jamfest made it clear that NO.... Girls 'Coed' Stunting will not count as hitting the scoresheet!

unless its a girl putting up a guy. Thats the one combo not mentioned in their guidelines ;) and it really makes me want to put it into a routine. Especially since next year its a possibility that i'll have a senior 3/4 where the two guys are smaller than the next smallest girl by a foot. should they have to coed stunt? *which by jamfest means hold their own extended stunt* or should I use my girls to put up coed stunts (which I do teach and did use this year) which makes more sense and should be rewarded

I threw a 'temper tantrum' about the Jamfest rule a while ago, mainly because I had a girl on my team who could do tossed to hands press aero double. However, it isn't an industry standard - Just Jam brands. To me, if I was that upset about it - I wouldn't attend Jam Brands competitions. I still had options.

I threw a 'temper tantrum' about the Jamfest rule a while ago, mainly because I had a girl on my team who could do tossed to hands press aero double. However, it isn't an industry standard - Just Jam brands. To me, if I was that upset about it - I wouldn't attend Jam Brands competitions. I still had options.

That is crazy. The worlds score sheet doesn't specify male or female.

So the anatomy of boys and girls are different and yet asking boys to act like boys and girls to act like girls deserves a call to the ACLU? If they were banning homosexual males from the sport it would be one thing, but suggesting that boys should act like boys is another.

IMO the USASF cannot stop how people. Let's be honest, The EPs of the USASF have a hard time getting the legalities / scores right much less give deductions for a guy diva-ing it up on stage. I'm just curios as to why people find it so offensive.

When I go to work in the morning, I have to be clean shaven, hair brushed, collared shirt tucked in, and a belt. I do yard work for a property management company!!!! At first I thought it absurd, because I am a tshirt and shorts kind of guy and HATE to shave, but I got over it. I didn't call the worker's rights union because I thought they weren't letting me express myself through my clothing / facial hair.

I don't think the USASF was trying to hold anyone back from expressing themselves, but just saying on the floor may not be the best place. Find some friends and go be yourself at the mall, at the movies, wherever. Nobody can change who you are, nor should you let them. On the floor, the routine and skills should speak for themself.

a). That is your job. YOU get paid to do. WE pay to participate in this sport. If your boss in an a@@ or sexist, or discriminatory in your opinion and you do nothing, well then that's your problem. If you have a problem with how your appearance is dictated, then find another job. Also, you're talking about a dress code, not mannerisms. If the company you work for came out with a statement similar to the one the USASF did (with the obvious implications MOST of us felt it possessed), yet didn't address let's say, some of the "manlier" girls mannerisms, would that be ok?

b). They didn't ask for girls to act like girls and guys to act like guys. They singled out guys specifically and for those of us who remember watching the online broadcast of one of the USASF meetings last year, we clearly remember one or two specific coaches having problems with guys not acting "manly" enough and being too theatrical and shimmying, etc.

c). For quite a many men in this sport, the performance aspect IS part of who they are and so long as women are allowed to make facials and shimmy to their hearts content, so should they be allowed to. What you are suggesting is fine, if it's all inclusive and you want to take the performance elements mentioned above out of routines all together. That's the difference.

So is making a different scoresheet with co-ed stunts discrimanitory? We don't make the girls do these stunts, so we are forcing the boys to act differently than the girls. This is not just a guide, it will almost certainly decide placements if you choose not to do co-ed stunts.

This appears to be a straw man to me..First, it would appear on the surface that you're suggesting "unmanly" men aren't as physically strong/capable as their straight counterparts..I certainly hope that's not the case...

Also, once again..you're speaking to a different aspect of the sport. I think it's obvious that men and women aren't GENERALLY considered to be of equal strengths in sports, hence why there are separate divisions for men and women in almost every sport I can think of..Ice skating has both male and female division along with a couples division. Women aren't expected to do the lifting, even if the male posses more "exaggerated" or "theatrical" expressions and/or mannerisms. Are their women who can do these things? Of course...is it accepted as a majority in sports? Absolutely not...it is a biological fact that men acquire more lean muscle than women and generally tend to be physically stronger. Once again..there are plenty of exceptions..I'm 4'11'' and can squat 225, but I'm an exception, not the rule.

This appears to be a straw man to me..First, it would appear on the surface that you're suggesting "unmanly" men aren't as physically strong/capable as their straight counterparts..I certainly hope that's not the case...

Also, once again..you're speaking to a different aspect of the sport. I think it's obvious that men and women aren't GENERALLY considered to be of equal strengths in sports, hence why there are separate divisions for men and women in almost every sport I can think of..Ice skating has both male and female division along with a couples division. Women aren't expected to do the lifting, even if the male posses more "exaggerated" or "theatrical" expressions and/or mannerisms. Are their women who can do these things? Of course...is it accepted as a majority in sports? Absolutely not...it is a biological fact that men acquire more lean muscle than women and generally tend to be physically stronger. Once again..there are plenty of exceptions..I'm 4'11'' and can squat 225, but I'm an exception, not the rule.

Holy crap that deserves a shimmy in and of itself.

(I, of course, agree with everything else you said, too, but sheesh, that's awesome.)

omg.. *there :oops:

I was 120 at the time at the guys in the gym all knew I was beast, even though I tended to stay away from heavier weight (I'm not talking about a hack squat either). IDK what weight I started out on (I'd have to ask my hubby..maybe 130?) and within 3 weeks I had gotten to 225. Past parallel too, with a pause :D I quit going heavy bc it was a just for fun thing..the guys liked to experiment w/me from time to time..lol..Oh and I was like 32 I believe.

Um...No. Saw them at Nationals a couple years back. And "the thing" is not a proper way to address someone.
Well it looks photoshop, I don't knwo what to call it especially since I don't know which to call it. Not joking, I'm being serious here. I can't tell if it's a guy that just for fun put on the uniform or a real women. Idk I'm a child, I don't understand today's society and I shouldn't.

It's photoshopped, the thing is 3 different skin tones.

Um... Did you seriously just use the words "the thing" to describe a person in THIS of all the threads on the boards??? Not that it would have been ok anywhere but just ironic that you would choose that unfortunate and discriminatory phrasing in a thread about unfortunate and discriminatory wording.

WOW... we have a reeeeally long way to go. :(

I dont feel like hitting reply a bunch of times. As far as the comment about it being okay for girls to walk around with shirts off. That comes down to society. We all know from a young age up, that yes, you must cover yourself. I have never heard a girl make a complaint of why she cant walk around without a shirt because a boy can. They would not be comfortable with that (I have seen more then enough kids completely collapse in tumbling because their shirt comes untucked and flys up and they need to fix it).

As far as the job situation goes, there are plenty to choose from. Quite frankly, I look like a bum at work in a hoodie and jeans, no make up (only rare occasion), though a lot of that is I am not awake enough at 4:30-5am to even attempt putting something near my eyes. There are days we DO have to dress, and no I dont want to, but its expected in a work place. Again, there are other options. How many other sport options do gay males have where they could express themselves? They bearly can in society now a days, which is sad in itself, but you can not ask a person to change or "stop acting like that", when that is truely how they are. This is a performing sport, it is a sport for male, female, black, brown, white, purple, tall, short, you name it, there is a place for you here. So it is discrimination to say they can do this, but you can not. The stage is the place to show your skills, and be excited about it. If your excitement is to shimmy and hairflip or whatever else after landing your pass, then so be it! Get excited about it, be comfortable with your skills, routine and yourself.

It would be like someone telling me to shimmy and hairflip after my corner pass. Yeah, not going to happen. I am quiet and shy at best, I land, stand, hands on hips and move on. They are only attacking males with the comment that was made in the rules (saying "MALES"). Yes toning down provacative dance moves, everyone agrees with it seems, and for good reason. But as far as theatrics, they did not tell girls to tone it down, making it discrimitory. I need to stray from posting novels on here. I just dont see how anyone can agree or make sense of this rule.

Back