College Maryland Cutting A&t

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NCATA does not now and never did exclude any club programs from competing in their format. Club teams were welcome to compete in NCATA. Unfortunately any Universities that wanted to compete in the NCATA format were banned by NCA from College Nationals in Daytona.

Was the ban from NCA or NCATA? I thought I had read that NCATA set the requirements. Student Athlete, Set Season, Hours of practice, Grades, Exclusive meaning they could not go to camps or outside events etc...

Was the ban from NCA or NCATA? I thought I had read that NCATA set the requirements. Student Athlete, Set Season, Hours of practice, Grades, Exclusive meaning they could not go to camps or outside events etc...
I think NCATA

There is two factors to becoming an emerging sport. One is 10 letters of commitment from a University President committing a budget to support the sport in the same fashion as all other Varsity sports on campus. The second criteria is that the sport must show 20 teams (can be club sports without varsity status) competing in the sport. In NCATA's first season several club teams (without commitment letters) competed with the NCATA. The NCATA had hoped to grow that interest. However, in the NCATA's second season, NCA told any club team competing in NCATA they would not be allowed to go to NCA Nationals.

The NCATA teams they have Varsity status follow the same guidelines in their athletic departments as the other funded sports on campus from recruiting, to practice hours, academic standards, set season etc. There are many emerging NCAA sports, and their competition is both Club and Varsity sports. Varsity status teams would follow NCAA guidelines because they are supported as sport but that does not mean they cannot compete against club programs.

Coachrah, thank you for your insite... Here is another question.. Did the president of UMD sign a letter of commitment? If so how long was it good for? Would that letter be pulled if they drop the program? I would think that letter could be used to help in a legal case to keep.

The NCATA programs supported as a Varsity sport did not ban competition with club teams at any time.
I thought the NCATA banned it because one of the reasons cheer was ruled not a sport is because of the various national championships rather than one prestigious one, so NCATA banned going to other nationals to show they are taking steps towards one national championship.

I thought the NCATA banned it because one of the reasons cheer was ruled not a sport is because of the various national championships rather than one prestigious one, so NCATA banned going to other nationals to show they are taking steps towards one national championship.

The NCATA did not ban anyone from participating in their sport. The other Nationals is for an activity.

The NCATA did not ban anyone from participating in their sport. The other Nationals is for an activity.
I didn't mean club teams were banned from their nationals, just the 6 NCATA varsity teams like Maryland, Oregon, etc. were banned from other nationals like NCA.

I didn't mean club teams were banned from their nationals, just the 6 NCATA varsity teams like Maryland, Oregon, etc. were banned from other nationals like NCA.

Gosh language is tricky/confusing. So again, the NCATA banned noone from competing against them and yes they set up a season of play in-line with all other collegiate sports and Title IX compliant.

Can you lead me to where you found the facts that A & T does not bring in revenue?

Even if the NCAA recognized A&T as a sport it would not be categorized as a "revenue sport" by the NCAA.

There's only two collegiate sports that the NCAA considers "revenue sports" Football and Men's Basketball. This is not my opinion this is based off of yearly studies conducted by the NCAA... Feel free to check this link out and you will see what I'm talking about.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...lue+Disk+-+FBS+Athletic+Revenues+and+Expenses

So again what I'm saying is nothing negative about A&T, its more about the overwhelming majority of athletic departments in general do not make money. That's why you've seen many schools over the past decade cutting programs like wrestling, men's gymnastics, track etc. b/c none of those sports bring in money when they cost big dollars to run them.

@GDaddyLS is saying exactly what I have thought about the entire thing when I read about it. While I hope that there is a way to keep the team, I completely understand why the University would cut the program (I ultimately think it WILL happen). The school is spending a lot of money for the athletes to receive scholarships as well as all the other perks of the varsity sports at the school but are not bringing in any money to supplement those costs. All of those perks teams that bring no money in are getting cost the school money and like reports show college athletics cost a lot of money with one 2 teams really pulling in any revenue.

Even if the NCAA recognized A&T as a sport it would not be categorized as a "revenue sport" by the NCAA.

There's only two collegiate sports that the NCAA considers "revenue sports" Football and Men's Basketball. This is not my opinion this is based off of yearly studies conducted by the NCAA... Feel free to check this link out and you will see what I'm talking about.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Behind the Blue Disk/Behind the Blue Disk - FBS Athletic Revenues and Expenses

So again what I'm saying is nothing negative about A&T, its more about the overwhelming majority of athletic departments in general do not make money. That's why you've seen many schools over the past decade cutting programs like wrestling, men's gymnastics, track etc. b/c none of those sports bring in money when they cost big dollars to run them.

Thank you for finding this and sharing. Very informative. So basically, basketball and football are the only SAFE sports when the economy gets tough? Even Olympic medal sport (Swimming/Diving) etc. have no safe harbor. How sad for all the athletes on all these teams. Hopefully all of the kids on all 8 teams will find another way to participate in the sport they love.

From what I have read it seems that the 8 teams will have until the 20th of June to raise 8 years worth of costs. The track and A&T have to raise a combined total of $9.46 MILLION. Any idea of what ways the team will use to raise money? That is a lot of money to raise in less than a year.

From what I have read it seems that the 8 teams will have until the 20th of June to raise 8 years worth of costs. The track and A&T have to raise a combined total of $9.46 MILLION. Any idea of what ways the team will use to raise money? That is a lot of money to raise in less than a year.

Alumni Donations.

That's ALOT of carwashes and Tacos-N-Bag!!! How much do you think they could get for a full detail carwash...$5,000?

In all seriousness, this thread has gotten focused on the nuances of NCATA vs NCA, and it really should be about UMD and the supporting the Acro & Tumbling team. The fact is that these student-athletes are paying the price for the poor fiscal decision making of UMD's administration over the past years. Acro & Tumbling was designated n emerging sport status because competitive cheer is a SPORT that has risen to amazing popularity over the 15 years! This was an attempt to have NCAA reflect "modern athletic culture". The sport doesn't generate revenue, but it A&T also kept the cost down by tumbling on hard floor/matt (lot of good that did!!!) UMD's decision to cut them sets things back decades.

The UMD team is going to attempt to raise the $$ but that's a HUGE feat. I thougt it was such a smack in the face for the decision to read "we have given these teams the opportunity to save themselves...by raising 8 years of funding". And of course, in order to keep Title IX ratios, even if A&T raises the funds for their sport..the funds have to be there for the Mens Track & Field team with whom they are paired. That's A LOT of $$$.

GOOD LUCK LADY TERPS...I will help all I can (which won't be much of the $9.4M)...This past week SUCKED!!!

Back