OT Mental block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Feb 26, 2023
I’m 22 and a former cheerleader. I really want some advice from coaches since I want to get back into tumbling.

It’s been years since I actually did cheer and at least a year since I’ve done a standing tuck, and have been wanting to do one again, but now have a mental block. I am in shape and have been consistently throwing good back handsprings without any kind of mental block. I don’t have access to a spring floor, just regular gym turf.

Is it a bad idea to throw one? Any ideas about what I can do to get my confidence back?

In case you mean a "standing back tuck" - below will not work for "standing front tuck":
I would find some skilled Spotter - Spotter should actively push / hold your back and might additionally give rotation movement in case you have a mental block mid-air. In case you feel confident with the Spotter let him know to reduce the support once the Spotter also feels confident to do so - dont get used to a Spotter doing your work partially.

Do a lot repetitions (my coach back then made me do like 50 spotted back flips 5 times a week) to get the movements into muscle memory, increase confidence and muscle strength - imo Perfection before Progression.

Note: I am former athlet in acrobatic gymnastic (plus some experience in cheerleading). I am no licensed coach - but above is how I would exercise. Maybe another Coach will add to the topic as well.

PS. Be aware that a back handspring and back flip have differences - you probably should not compare them. One goes up the other goes back+up (diagonally).

Back