Middle School Drama, Team Self Destructing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 9, 2012
I'm a very frusterated coach right now. I had an amazing routine choreographed (this is my first time finally coaching a team, and I'm so passionate and excited) but I have had 2 girls quit so far because they aren't flying... they are all being very selfish about this and I have tried to explain that all parts of a stunt are equally important... they aren't having it. They want to be the center of attention. It's making me so upset because I had high hopes for them as a team and this is so petty. They don't understand that this is a TEAM sport... not everyone gets the position or job they want, but all roles are crucial to our success. I'm down to only two stunt groups now. Any advice?

Don't let it get to you. I'd pull them all in and lay down the law with the entire group. Make them realize how each part plays into the entire team. If they aren't going to play nice make them condition. Every time they start drama make them do push-ups.
If they quit then honestly you're better off. It'll all work out in the end. Make sure they know you just want the best for them and then talk about continuing into HS cheer and how they will need the skills you are teaching. If possible bring the HS coach in for a day. Ours comes in a few times a year and the girls usually shape up afterwards.

I'm sorry to hear that :( I've seen a lot of girls do the same thing. But if they quit for something silly like not getting the role in the stunt they want, then they don't have the true passion for it. Keep holding on. and if u have time at practice to have a little fun, let some of the flyers do some basing, and some bases try flying, just for fun.

This is my 6th year coaching. Drama is always going to happen. Try to use it as a learning experience for them and don't take anything personal. :)

Amen Sara H.
Don't take it personally! Just coach your butt off and make those girls look amazing. And just for fun, if you can, throw in a stunt section where you put 3 or 4 girls up in single based stunts (so more girls get to fly ;) )

Honestly you can't make everyone happy. It's amazing that you came up with something for the team, so maybe you can do it again?

everyone obviously can't fly!! but maybe u should just talk them into coming back, after all stunting is just one part of cheer!!! there is jumps, tumbling, the whole perfomance and facialss!!! and being a base or backspot is extremely important as well as flying!!

I had the same problem this year with my middle school team. (I'm also a first time coach) After a couple weeks of heartache I finally laid down the law and announced who was flying and told them that I was not willing to discuss it any further. I gave all the girls who want to fly a chance to "challenge" any flier for her position. We would have everyone else sit down and watch while the girls put up the stunt. Whoever does it best gets that position. After all the complaining at the beginning, I've yet to have a single girl challenge someone for their spot. They know that the fliers I picked were the best choice, even if they don't want to admit it. Good luck!

The sad part is you probably cut girls who would have played any role to be on the team. Not sure how far you are into the season but may be give whoever was next on the list a shot.

You dont need them they obviously joined cheer for popularity and not for the passion for it rearrange things to make the girls you got work

The sad part is you probably cut girls who would have played any role to be on the team. Not sure how far you are into the season but may be give whoever was next on the list a shot.
This is what I was going to suggest. Hold another tryout and replace them! They did that on my high school squad when one of the girls moved away, and it worked beautifully! I think, like around 50 girls showed up to try out for that one spot! Good luck!

If they quit before they give it a try, then they don't sound like team players, and probably would have just brought the team down anyway. Also, being a new coach can be difficult, if the girls are not used to having someone actually make them work, they are likely to be resistant at first. My brothers middle school recently got a new cheerleading coach, and a few of the girls quit because they didn't want to have to work for anything. However, the ones that stayed have turned into the best team that middle school has ever had. I guess what im trying to say is don't get to down on yourself, it may seem tough at first, but if you give it some time the girls will come around and become a great team!

Latest posts

Back