High School Motivation And Confidence

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 4, 2012
So my coach ha to decided to make NCA Nationals our first competition of the year, yes she's crazy. We have a lot of new people on the team this year that have never been on a competition floor before, so I am afraid that they will freeze up the second they see the lights. Their confidence is running low and they already don't believe they can do it. How can I help motivate them to try their hardest and give them the confidence they need? Also, our team has some all-star kids on there that have made it clear they don't care about the high school team. How can I get them to put just as much effort into school cheer as they do for all-star cheer?

To motivate the new girls, you dont want to scare them about the first competition, down play it a little and help them prove to themselves they can do it. tell them the feeling you get on that mat is so different from that of practice, and in the end that feeling is worth it. For the Allstar girls ask them why they dont care, if they say its becasue there are so many new kids remind them what it felt like to compete for the first time and the skill level/confidence level at this time. Ask them to just care enough so you can boost the confidence of the newbies!

Team team team. Build each other up, help each other out, grow as a team.

Try having team dinners after practice, themed practices, and other things to bring the squad together in and out of practice.

Simulate the experience if you can. Drop the lights.. Announce them. Have the lights come up, get a bunch of people to watch. It's throwing a mock competition to get the new ones used to the environment. Good for the all stars and new ones is go watch last years winners in your division on line together and talk about your goals.

Good luck! We went last year and had a blast. Some of the divisions are tough, 26 teams in some divisions and all are amazing!!! Set realistic expectations and enjoy the experience

If you want to get the new girls used to competing, you can always take a "field trip" to a competition to help them understand what its like.

this brought my team together last year!
It's a great video!
Yes it has football stuff but just listen...turn your monitor off

LOVE this one. There's an another video, but a tumbling version. Thanks for posting this, I had actually forgot about it!
This is actually one of my favorite videos though. Very motivational words and one of the reasons I'm a fan of Maddie Gardner and the Marlins is in it. Around :25 I get chills from just her face and her reaction when she falls. It was pure teamwork and self motivation from each individual in that stunt group that got it back up so quickly. Anyways, I'm sure most of you guys have seen it and if not I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

LOVE this one. There's an another video, but a tumbling version. Thanks for posting this, I had actually forgot about it!
This is actually one of my favorite videos though. Very motivational words and one of the reasons I'm a fan of Maddie Gardner and the Marlins is in it. Around :25 I get chills from just her face and her reaction when she falls. It was pure teamwork and self motivation from each individual in that stunt group that got it back up so quickly. Anyways, I'm sure most of you guys have seen it and if not I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

i love this, when i saw this thread i knew i was gunna post this video but u beat me to it!! haha :)

Latest posts

Back