My Kids Aren't Catching Their Tick-tocks...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 14, 2010
In the pyramid.

In their group stunt sequence, they do low-high lib-stretch tick tocks and hit them 9 times out of 10, but in the pyramid they do high-low-high (hitch-stretch-stretch) and maybe 2 times out of 10 the bases will catch the flyer at their waist and struggle to get it back extended; the other 8 they don't even come close to hitting.

The flyer replaces her foot pretty well, she puts it almost exactly where her other foot was, but it seems like she comes down way too fast/hard and it just slips right through the bases' hands. Another coach and I stepped in to base to see if we could figure out what the problem was and we caught it just fine (although like I said, the flyer came down really hard - bent my fingers a bit), but the actual bases are obviously much younger (12 and 13) and have less experience than us, so it's harder for them.

Any tips on what to tell them?

In the pyramid.

In their group stunt sequence, they do low-high lib-stretch tick tocks and hit them 9 times out of 10, but in the pyramid they do high-low-high (hitch-stretch-stretch) and maybe 2 times out of 10 the bases will catch the flyer at their waist and struggle to get it back extended; the other 8 they don't even come close to hitting.

The flyer replaces her foot pretty well, she puts it almost exactly where her other foot was, but it seems like she comes down way too fast/hard and it just slips right through the bases' hands. Another coach and I stepped in to base to see if we could figure out what the problem was and we caught it just fine (although like I said, the flyer came down really hard - bent my fingers a bit), but the actual bases are obviously much younger (12 and 13) and have less experience than us, so it's harder for them.

tell the bracers to support her more with their arms to ease the impact

In the pyramid.

Starting with the dip, make sure the bases are watching the foot they are going to catch instead of the foot they are holding. A lot of kids don't switch until too late.

for the flyer: really lift on the way up for the stretch and think about placing the foot (toe, ball of the foot, then heel)
for the bases: make sure to extend all the way up, use their legs, and dont bend their arms when they catch. if the need to absorb, absorb through the legs!!!!

Tell the flyer also to think "replace" instead of "switch" to avoid stomping down. Also resist through their shoulders. Tell the supporting flyers to lift up through their arms and shoulders as well.

Thank you!

I think one of the problems is that they learned tick-tocks from someone before me who told them that they were actually supposed to stop down, and I'm having a hard time getting them to break that habit. I'll try the replace instead of switch thing. :)

Back