OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My high school didn't grade with the 4.0 GPA scale, we had the actual numbers out of 100. All As didn't mean a 4.0, it meant your average was between a 94.5 and 100 and we only had one valedictorian. I think when you use the 4.0 grading scale, you shouldn't be able to crown a valedictorian because you'll have multiple kids with 4.0s and that's not the point of a valedictorian.

My graduation was around 3 hours because I graduated with 800 kids in my class. Torture.
You're in NY right? That's how it was when I was there. My sister missed valedictorian by .001% to her best friend. Yep, she had to settle for second, with a final grade of something like 99.878, including AP classes. Out of a class if 760, they were 1st and 2nd ranked. That's what a valedictorian is... The top, number one ranked student. Emphasis on "one" - not one of many.

I would kill myself in a 3 hour graduation [emoji23] And the 36's are crazy, I would be signing autographs. But no, to be fair that girl finally got her 18 in December, so technically everyone can get into college now. Although out of our 10, only 3 have scores over a 25 (and those are a 32, 29, and 27). But all 4.0s so that's all that really matters right? *rolls eyes*

....your school really should think about implementing some sort of grade weighting policy. Good lord, that's atrocious.

My school refused to weight grades until one year a student enrolled in special education classes was named salutatorian. Which, by all means, props to her for getting good grades in her classes in spite of her disabilities, but it's not exactly the second highest academic achievements in the graduating class...which is the whole point of valedictorian/salutatorian. Now honors courses are weighted at 110% of the final grade and AP courses are 115% of the final grade. My school graded on a 100-point scale, with an A being 95 and above.

Now my high school awards the valedictorian/salutatorian titles by weighted grade average, out of 100, although one year they had an "unweighted" valedictorian (who skated through high school by taking a very easy course load when clearly she could have challenged herself further if she's getting 100 averages in non-honors courses) and a "weighted" valedictorian who took all AP and college courses. Granted, I'd be pretty ticked off if I had to share that title, but she handled it very graciously.

One of my friends is trying to get valedictorian this year, right now its her and a girl she's been best friends with for like 10 years tied! She has a test today and has been locked up in the room studying since last week. They both have a 99.5 average, GPAs haven't been calculated yet.
I jokingly say she's crazy all of the time, but I guess it's worth it since two different schools have offered her $80,000 scholarships!

....your school really should think about implementing some sort of grade weighting policy. Good lord, that's atrocious.
And I try to not even care about the fact that kids are getting things they are nowhere near deserving. I'm used to that in a small town where everyone knows/is related to everyone; nothing is ever fair.
What worries me more than anything is how these kids are going to handle themselves in college, assuming that they even go. Even if you're in what people say is the "easiest" major there, you're going to have to work. You aren't going to have honors handed to you when you graduate college (and not just because only 3 of us can even be accepted into an honors program). And if you're professors try to actually make you work you aren't going to be able to send your parents to complain to the school board. (That happened in my algebra II class and resulted in the quitting of the best math teacher I ever had.)

We don't weight grades (stupid IMO) but still don't have that many with a 4.0. When my sister graduated there were 13/600 which is a lot but nowhere near 100! They have to have taken a certain number of AP/Honors classes but it's not a particularly high number.
I'm curious as to how many we'll have this year. I know at least 5 who have maintained 4.0s with the same course load as me or harder, so they're definitely deserving and idk how they managed but I'm sure there are more than 5 total

And I try to not even care about the fact that kids are getting things they are nowhere near deserving. I'm used to that in a small town where everyone knows/is related to everyone; nothing is ever fair.
What worries me more than anything is how these kids are going to handle themselves in college, assuming that they even go. Even if you're in what people say is the "easiest" major there, you're going to have to work. You aren't going to have honors handed to you when you graduate college (and not just because only 3 of us can even be accepted into an honors program). And if you're professors try to actually make you work you aren't going to be able to send your parents to complain to the school board. (That happened in my algebra II class and resulted in the quitting of the best math teacher I ever had.)

That's terrible. That sounds like a complete and utter nightmare.
A person with a 4.0 who is unable to score above a 20 on the ACT, save the presence of some sort of processing disorder or other learning disability, is not being adequately prepared for higher education. Your high school is doing them a major disservice.

That's terrible. That sounds like a complete and utter nightmare.
A person with a 4.0 who is unable to score above a 20 on the ACT, save the presence of some sort of processing disorder or other learning disability, is not being adequately prepared for higher education. Your high school is doing them a major disservice.
Another thing that's hilarious is how political grading is with teachers, which is what causes the valedictorian issue. I could've never shown up to my art class sophomore year and still made a high A because that teacher liked me. I showed up because that's the respectful thing to do, but a lot of kids didn't. At least two of the girls only made A's in chemistry because the teacher was also the dance team sponsor and she loved them. Meanwhile, a really good friend of mine who moved here from out of town (meaning no one knows his family) has severe ADHD and still scored a 29 on his ACT, but doesn't make all A's because the second he does something wrong in any class he's majorly penalized for it, and he's not given the same "buffers" as the other kids.
Ugh there's just something so wrong with all of it. I keep reminding myself I only have 8 days until I graduate and I can just suck it up until then.
As a side note, you don't actually even have to make all A's the whole time. As long as your average for the semester is an A, you are valedictorian. So a bunch of these kids have actually made B's in these already crazy watered down classes.
My high school is the reason I decided not to be a teacher.

Our GPA's are on a 4.0 scale with a 5.0 in AP and a few Honors classes. Valedictorians just have to maintain a 4.0. My school is highly competitive and our class average is a 3.75 the last time I checked, so there's definitely a ton of people who qualify. Out of the 6 people in my immediate friend group, myself and one other person are the only ones who aren't above a 4.0. I agree though that it should just be the person with the overall highest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're in NY right? That's how it was when I was there. My sister missed valedictorian by .001% to her best friend. Yep, she had to settle for second, with a final grade of something like 99.878, including AP classes. Out of a class if 760, they were 1st and 2nd ranked. That's what a valedictorian is... The top, number one ranked student. Emphasis on "one" - not one of many.

Yep I have a NY state diploma.

Latest posts

Back