OT Notable Moments In Cheer History

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
What was this? YT comment sections are not giving me insight.
They competed with too many boys and had tons of illegal skills. Scoresheets were never released and they magically tied with GT. They increased the number of boys allowed in that division the next year and they also made several of the illegal skills they did (including spotted tumbling) legal the following year. It was a disaster. Then a similar situation happened with them in 2014, though not quite as bad. I'm sure you can find threads about it all on here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The time USASF banned doubles and standing fulls and everyone freaked out. Then they stepped it back and only banned twisting bound twisting passes.

That was a fun fierceboard thread...

Almost forgot about that!

Wasn't there also a NO twisting in baskets rule that they also rolled out same time?

Are there any incidents that really forced any change? Does anyone know where I can get the first safety rules made, ever?

ETA: I’m trying to do a really approachable, irreverent yet affectionate take on cheer history. I think it’d be funny to do a then vs now take on safety rules.

When my daughter started cheer in 1997, there was no USASF. Each EP had their own set of rules. So they would prepare all summer for the NCA event at Kings Island Labor Day weekend. Then have to rework the routine to make adjustments for the different rules at the next event. That would include things as small as the way their hands would be on the feet of the flyer. Or the way the brace was held in a pyramid. Most EPs still used flat floors and Cheersport had just introduced the spring floor.

With all the criticisms of USASF (and most of it is 100% valid), consolidation of the rules was huge and likely saved lives. That’s not an overstatement.

It's true. I remember when all star cheer had cheers in it and was basically just a separate division at school cheer comps.

No number levels just novice, intermediate, advanced.

Traditional cheer in the middle with signs.

Then they added the all music division which is basically what AS looks like today.

When my daughter started cheer in 1997, there was no USASF. Each EP had their own set of rules. So they would prepare all summer for the NCA event at Kings Island Labor Day weekend. Then have to rework the routine to make adjustments for the different rules at the next event. That would include things as small as the way their hands would be on the feet of the flyer. Or the way the brace was held in a pyramid. Most EPs still used flat floors and Cheersport had just introduced the spring floor.

With all the criticisms of USASF (and most of it is 100% valid), consolidation of the rules was huge and likely saved lives. That’s not an overstatement.
I cheered from 2002-2008 and remember the later days of this cluster****. At some competitions, junior "advanced" teams could throw flipping baskets and at others could only do toe touches. What in the world?

I cheered from 2002-2008 and remember the later days of this cluster****. At some competitions, junior "advanced" teams could throw flipping baskets and at others could only do toe touches. What in the world?

This ^

I have a video from my junior years and we do a 2 1/2 high pyramid. I was in the 7th grade....Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^

I have a video from my junior years and we do a 2 1/2 high pyramid. I was in the 7th grade....Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite the same, but when I was in fourth grade a bunch of us decided to teach some of our classmates how to stunt. We did extensions and tosses with half-remembered instructions from our pee-wee program and pieced together the rest. It should’ve surprised no one when our completely inexperienced “flyer” fell and broke her arm.

But what gets me is: some adult on the playground had to have seen us because we were a bunch of children throwing each other around. But we were never told to stop until an actual injury occurred. Ah, the 90s. When safety was trial and error.

Bring me your cheer scandals, everyone. Personal and professional. I’m looking for the stuff you won’t find on the score sheets.

I don’t need names; I’m not trying to dig up dirt for the sake of it. I just need an idea of exactly how badly things can go wrong in this sport. Specifically cheer-related (no sex stuff... that type of scandal can and does happen everywhere). So basically: the time that gym paid all those athletes to come cheer for them, the time that college coach competed with his team and got majorly caught, etc. Any thoughts are welcome.

A base on panthers at worlds 2010/11/12 can’t remember which competed/based one armed as she had a cast on one of her wrists- they made a rule the following season about no casts etc. She was a beast pretty sure it was point stunt group too!

A base on panthers at worlds 2010/11/12 can’t remember which competed/based one armed as she had a cast on one of her wrists- they made a rule the following season about no casts etc. She was a beast pretty sure it was point stunt group too!
It was 2014, they also had a base in a boot that year, too. Which also was made illegal shortly after.

Back