All-Star Parents Can You Help Me?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
I was all set for worlds next weekend. I'm paying for EVERYTHING using my birthday money except my mom's plane ticket because she is a flight attendant and can sit on the jump seat free. I got home from school, went online to buy my tickets and set up the hotel reservation when my mom stops me in the middle of it and says she's rethinking us going. I have been asking since 2010 worlds to go and I'm even paying with my own money for everything. I haven't done anything bad, my grades are all high and so is my GPA. How do I convince her to let me go? My friend is coming over to talk to her because she's tired of hearing me talk about who I think will place in what all year long. I even have a friend competing that I want to support as well. What do I do?!

Im not a parent but IMO your mom is probably just stressed about going. Things for all adults are crazy right now, I know my parents are as well. Traveling and compeating at Worlds can be a very epic and stressful event. I know its only a weekend but its going to be on of the most insane and hectic weekends of your life, even if your not compeating. Just try explaining how much this means to you and the pros of going. Hope everything goes well!

Did your mom give you a reason for rethinking, please don't assume that it is an arbitrary decision on her part. But this is a discussion that needs to happen between you and your mom, NOT your mom and another child. I'm sorry, but it is not your friend's place to question your mother's decisions. My recommendation would be to calmly approach your mom and ask if you can discuss it with her. Remain calm throughout and whatever the decision is, please respect your mother's position and give her the benefit of the doubt that she is making the decision she thinks is best. I readily admit I do not know all the background, but making certain presumptions, this is my advice.

Maybe there is something underlying that she doesn't want to tell you? How long ago were the original plans made? It seems odd that she all of a sudden doesn't feel like going.
Was she very definate about going originally or was she more like maybe? Sometimes its hard for us parents to just say no but we really don't mean yes.
If it truly is that she doesn't want to sit at the comp for two days maybe print out the schedule and pick the must sees and offer to do what she would like to do at off times. I know I would love to go but my husband would rather die than sit at a competition all day.

Edit: Slow phone

Ok, so if you're old enough to book tickets, hotel, whatever on your own, I'm not seeing how she can say "yes" or "no.". Have you actually paid anything? And if not, why did you wait until the final 10 days?

beg, kick and scream! lol just kidding!!! just try and talk it out sweetie! good luck!!!

Maybe there is something underlying that she doesn't want to tell you? How long ago were the original plans made? It seems odd that she all of a sudden doesn't feel like going.
Was she very definate about going originally or was she more like maybe? Sometimes its hard for us parents to just say no but we really don't mean yes.
If it truly is that she doesn't want to sit at the comp for two days maybe print out the schedule and pick the must sees and offer to do what she would like to do at off times. I know I would love to go but my husband would rather die than sit at a competition all day.

I turned 16 and that was what I asked for for my present, but I was having a party so she said I could go if I paid for it. I don't think she thought I would get so much money and was stuck to what she said. A lot of the time she'll say yes to shut me up and then say no once I bring it up again. She also never really liked sitting at competitions just because. Of course if I was on the mat then she didn't mind at all, but anything other then that she'd rather be doing something else. Which I understand because I know she doesn't get the same excitement I do when I watch videos of amazing routines and show them to her.

I know that if my mom ever came to Worlds with me, she'd be sitting by the pool all weekend while I was the milkhouse lol. Seriously though...sit down and talk calmly with your mom.

Maybe book her a spa day in the hotel while you go to the comp? :p No...really...I am with the advice that the others gave.
Speak with her calmly and rationally about what her reasons are. I hope you can work something out! If not, just think about all the other cool stuff you can do with the money you have saved... Hang in there!!!

Back