Partner Stunt, How To Hold Flyers Feet?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 13, 2012
hello guys and girls, i am very new to cheerleading and today we started with partner stunting but my flyer is also not experienced.

my main problem is that i don´t exactly know how i should hold my flyers feet?
i have seen in a few videos that the base holds the flyer mainly at the heel but that doesn´t really work out..
right now i try to hold in the center of the foot with just the palm as rest for her foot and hold with my fingers her shoe... that works better but she tends to flip backwards with her ankle and can´t really stand still.

maybe i should try to put my pointer finger under her heel and my palm in the center of her foot? might this help?
furthermore i have another problem...
i start shaking with my hands most of the time if she is on top and i don´t really know why?
i don´t believe it is because of loosing strengh... i am actually from the strongman sport and she just weighs close to 90 pounds and i can easily press over 150 pounds.
and actually i don´t even have to press her, i just hold her static in the elevator position.

i really appreciate every tip of you guys ...
thanks in advance

hello guys and girls, i am very new to cheerleading and today we started with partner stunting but my flyer is also not experienced.

i have seen in a few videos that the base holds the flyer mainly at the heel but that doesn´t really work out..
right now i try to hold in the center of the foot with just the palm as rest for her foot and hold with my fingers her shoe... that works better but she tends to flip backwards with her ankle and can´t really stand still.

maybe i should try to put my pointer finger under her heel and my palm in the center of her foot? might this help?
i start shaking with my hands most of the time if she is on top and i don´t really know why?
i don´t believe it is because of loosing strengh... i am actually from the strongman sport and she just weighs close to 90 pounds and i can easily press over 150 pounds.
and actually i don´t even have to press her, i just hold her static in the elevator position.

thanks in advance
First off, kudos to you & your flyer for joining the sport-you're gonna LOOOVE it. :)
about positioning your hands, it really depends on what kind of stunt you're doing. say your doing a half/elevator/prep, whatever you call it, you want to cover as much area of the shoe as you can & try to squeeze your wrists together. spread your fingers around the shoe also, gives a more secure grip.
if you're doing an extended stunt, and you're main basing, the group will work around you. don't worry about making room for the rest of the group on the flyer's foot. try to do the same thing, but you want to stand under the stunt. don't back out, or stick your behind out, that will really make your back hurt, and that's probably the reason your hands are shaking. I always like to step under/into the stunt with my left leg, and it helps me take weight off my back.
hope this helps :)

thanks in advance

I'm assuming you are doing whats called a Toss Hands, where you toss your partner up and catch both of her feet about shoulder width apart. Well.. you're actually totally right about putting your pointer finger under her heel! This will give you more control over her foot. Your job is to make sure she feels like she's standing on the ground. The more control you feel, the more your flyer will feel.

About the shaking... easier said than done but try to relax your arms once you've caught her feet. You shouldn't necessarily be tense the entire time. Also you want to make sure your flyer is flying with locked knees and squeezing all of her muscles tight. Once you get into more advanced partner stunting the grips will change slightly, but the concept of control stays the same.

One more thing, when dipping to throw/toss/extend/ANYTHING. Use your legs. Think huuuuuge dip with your legs, then explosive jump to give you the power without using your arms. Your legs are naturally much stronger than your arms and will help you save energy in the long run while also making the stunt feel easier and more effortless. Hope this help!

Back