College Question About Tryouts And Selecting Colleges

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you want a ring, the competitive programs are going to require a lot of time, plus you're going to be in school. And if you think school cheer is your only option, then prepare to be on the sidelines too. I don't know how feasible it would be to work your through school unless you can make super good money as a tumbling instructor.
But if you want to cheer I would start emailing coaches of teams you think you can make (and cheer competitively on, just because you make the team doesn't mean you'll make it to the competition mat) and see what scholarship opportunities they have. And since you could be moving cross country, look for places where you could teach tumbling.
Though since you're willing to move for school, why not do the same for all star? Unless you're dead set on a UCA/NCA collegiate ring, it just seems like it would be easier to get on an international team and work as an engineer. Less time commitment (no classes and sideline) but still get to compete and probably make more money. That's just my opinion though...

I'm honestly more interested in All Star, but I'm concerned about an engineering job not being flexible enough to do an all star team. If I was going to school it wouldn't be an issue.

I agree with all of this. Also, most schools that are in contention for a ring will want you to have stronger stunting skills. At least, that's been my experience.

My stunting isn't weak if that's what you mean. :) I've never really been challenged in coed/2 man stunting, but I know I could learn to do it.

My stunting isn't weak if that's what you mean. :) I've never really been challenged in coed/2 man stunting, but I know I could learn to do it.
Well then you should be good to go! I see that you live in Maine. Are you looking to move, or do you want to stay in Maine? There are several very strong coed programs down the east coast.

I see that you live in Maine. Are you looking to move, or do you want to stay in Maine?

I need to stay in Maine this year since I'm coaching a team at my all star gym, but I'll be weighing my options before taking the plunge. I'm not sure if you saw my other post, but I'd prefer an IOC5 team over a college team. My double full is getting more consistent and my standing full is almost there too. I'll need to leave the state anyway since the job market here is not that great.

I need to stay in Maine this year since I'm coaching a team at my all star gym, but I'll be weighing my options before taking the plunge. I'm not sure if you saw my other post, but I'd prefer an IOC5 team over a college team. My double full is getting more consistent and my standing full is almost there too. I'll need to leave the state anyway since the job market here is not that great.
I say this to any younger person with minimal commitments. GO! Follow that dream! Spend this year planning and contacting a few gyms to narrow down where you want to cheer and then look at job opportunities in that area. You could work full time and spend a year or two competing for your dream team. It isn't something you can realistically do 5-10 years from now, so now is the time to make it happen!

Seeing as I think the general rule is that you cannot tryout unless you have been accepted to the school (or on the wait-list) then that would probably narrow down the tryout choices from there. More well known cheer programs usually hold clinics which would be a great way for your CP to test the waters with the team/see if skills match up. Some programs will have a fall tryout if the spring tryout doesn't get them all the talent they want. Some schools also have club teams which do spring but mostly fall tryouts (club is less time consuming). Sorry if any of this info was already said... didn't read through the whole thread!

I say this to any younger person with minimal commitments. GO! Follow that dream! Spend this year planning and contacting a few gyms to narrow down where you want to cheer and then look at job opportunities in that area. You could work full time and spend a year or two competing for your dream team. It isn't something you can realistically do 5-10 years from now, so now is the time to make it happen!
My engineering degree won't stay fresh forever, do you know if I would be able to do an IOC5 team with an 8-5 engineering job?

My engineering degree won't stay fresh forever, do you know if I would be able to do an IOC5 team with an 8-5 engineering job?
most likely yes. Most International teams practices are designed around college/working athletes. My CP was asked to be on an international team that was only practicing Sunday afternoons. The International teams around here (New England) practice 1-2 days per week (one weeknight (later start - after 8pm) and one weekend). Travel is limited to a handful of competitions. I am sure you can find a competitive program that will also fit your schedule.

I work full time (I'm a software engineer) and I'm on an IOC6 team. We generally only practice once a week on Sunday nights so it's not too much of an issue. I drive an hour to my gym and its late 8-10 or 9-11 so Monday morning can be a struggle.

We don't do too much traveling but taking a half day or a full day of vacation time isn't really an issue and taking vacation time for worlds is fine too. I have a habit of starting a new job a few months before worlds so vacation time is tight ha.

If you have weekday practices it can be pretty exhausting after a 9+ hour work day, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Of course, a salaried job is not always just 40 hours and if stuff at work has to get done you could end up in a position where you can't make practice. But that can usually be avoided with enough planning.

So anyway, yeah, I find managing cheering with a full time job to not be an issue. I've been doing both for about 6 years now. The hardest part is explaining to coworkers why you're taking time off "wait, you do what??"

Last edited:
Let's say your cp is determined to cheer in college - maybe it's a huge goal/dream. I'm wondering how they would make a choice on what college to attend when they may not yet know if they will make cheer there. Of course, the main goal of college is education - but cheer is a definite consideration too. Are most of the tryouts at the same time? How do kids attend more than one? We are several years off from this process - but I've been thinking about it and wondering how people manage this process. Would really appreciate anyone who would be kind enough to offer insight.

Speaking specifically to our experience here we have seen several schools have open "workouts" throughout the year that you can attend which the coach can then use as a means of evaluation, if they so choose and then the recruiting begins. Most of the schools my senior daughter has looked at have been more local and typically considered private schools with the exception of a few. Most of these private schools are not ones most can just pay for without some assistance. These schools are offering very competitive scholarships which they can stack with others such some academic money combined with cheer money which then makes these schools very reasonable to attend. We are fortunate that my daughter is very gifted so she has several schools after her. Although she has already selected where she wants to attend other schools are still trying to get her to sign with them instead.

I would say look for and attend recruiting clinics where and when you can. Don't be afraid to ask what they offer for cheer scholarships, the answers we got were surprising. There is actually a lot more out there than I thought including full rides. A lot of schools here are beginning to put the cheer programs under the athletic department which opens up more opportunity for scholarships. When you bring STUNT into the discussion things begin to open up for those looking to cheer in college or use their skills they have learned in All Star as a means to get a college education.

I've joked for years that we were hopefully prepaying for college and now that seems as if it could be more of a reality than I thought possible. My guess is that more Universities will bring cheer into their respective Athletic Department as STUNT and the college cheer world begins to be viewed more as a sport. I'm seeing more colleges here hire quality coaches and are being told by the AD to go recruit because they want to win.

Let's say your cp is determined to cheer in college - maybe it's a huge goal/dream. I'm wondering how they would make a choice on what college to attend when they may not yet know if they will make cheer there. Of course, the main goal of college is education - but cheer is a definite consideration too. Are most of the tryouts at the same time? How do kids attend more than one? We are several years off from this process - but I've been thinking about it and wondering how people manage this process. Would really appreciate anyone who would be kind enough to offer insight.

Most schools hold tryouts after the university deadline for acceptance with the hopes that the girls trying out are dedicated to going to the school already, even without cheer and some do it before just in case. This is usually helpful if the student hasn't been accepted yet or changes their mind.

What I did was apply to schools based off of academics first and foremost. Additionally I looked at the cheer programs at each school. I got into all 7 and of the seven 4 had a solid, competitive to make cheer program. I was capable to make the team at all the schools. I was only interested in going two schools without a great program, and I looked at alternative options in all-star teams, both Open and regular since I had a super senior year. I ultimately chose to go to my top choice, based on academics, location, and money. It also has an amazing cheer program and was blessed to make the team.

Speaking specifically to our experience here we have seen several schools have open "workouts" throughout the year that you can attend which the coach can then use as a means of evaluation, if they so choose and then the recruiting begins. Most of the schools my senior daughter has looked at have been more local and typically considered private schools with the exception of a few. Most of these private schools are not ones most can just pay for without some assistance. These schools are offering very competitive scholarships which they can stack with others such some academic money combined with cheer money which then makes these schools very reasonable to attend. We are fortunate that my daughter is very gifted so she has several schools after her. Although she has already selected where she wants to attend other schools are still trying to get her to sign with them instead.

I would say look for and attend recruiting clinics where and when you can. Don't be afraid to ask what they offer for cheer scholarships, the answers we got were surprising. There is actually a lot more out there than I thought including full rides. A lot of schools here are beginning to put the cheer programs under the athletic department which opens up more opportunity for scholarships. When you bring STUNT into the discussion things begin to open up for those looking to cheer in college or use their skills they have learned in All Star as a means to get a college education.

I've joked for years that we were hopefully prepaying for college and now that seems as if it could be more of a reality than I thought possible. My guess is that more Universities will bring cheer into their respective Athletic Department as STUNT and the college cheer world begins to be viewed more as a sport. I'm seeing more colleges here hire quality coaches and are being told by the AD to go recruit because they want to win.
Regarding scholarships, are you referring to STUNT or cheer? If cheer, please give specific colleges that offer scholarships for cheer.

I know that A&T programs give scholarships (as A&T is part of a school's athletic dept.)

I'd be interested in knowing where these full ride cheer schools are as well. Even the top programs don't have those. I know a few cover out of state fees.

I know that A&T programs give scholarships (as A&T is part of a school's athletic dept.)

I'd be interested in knowing where these full ride cheer schools are as well. Even the top programs don't have those. I know a few cover out of state fees.
I know you know this, but A&T and STUNT are far different from cheer, which is why I'm asking about these cheer scholarships. We did pretty thorough research on universities and game day/competitive cheer. I'm curious to see what I missed!

Back