College Retention Rate

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 20, 2013
As a coach of a college competitive team, I see a trend in my team after College Nationals. Once we return from Florida, we usually have a month left of basketballa and our competitive season. However, I find that I have a good amount of girls quit before the start of the spring semester. I feel as if these girls "stick it out" through Nationals then bail on the final month of the season. Does anyone else see this with their teams? Are there any suggestions on how to make it stop? Would love some input on this!!

That's a trend that's too common in my opinion. Sometimes is due to classes, sometimes people just don't like actually cheering as weird as that may sound.
I do know some programs hold off offering scholarships till the end of the semester to avoid people doing that or having them repay after quitting. Some make them turn back in all clothing even practice attire. I guess having any kind of leverage you can have would help, as a slight fix.
The best way I've been coached through that is that competing is a privilege, not a right. You cheer for your school first then competing comes second.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My advice is why not give your squad a lengthy pep talk about not giving up? Even though Frostburg State University is not as well known as the likes of Kentucky, UCF, etc, it's still a college that is a whole lot of fun. Hope this helps!

You could definitely withhold scholarships til the end of the season, if your team travels with the sports teams that could be used as leverage too.

That's a trend that's too common in my opinion. Sometimes is due to classes, sometimes people just don't like actually cheering as weird as that may sound.
I do know some programs hold off offering scholarships till the end of the semester to avoid people doing that or having them repay after quitting. Some make them turn back in all clothing even practice attire. I guess having any kind of leverage you can have would help, as a slight fix.
The best way I've been coached through that is that competing is a privilege, not a right. You cheer for your school first then competing comes second.

Wish it was that easy. As a D3 school we do not give athletic scholarships nor do we travel with sports teams. The worst thing is the school does pay for our Nationals and comp fees. I'm worried if this continues we are going to lose that funding. Last season the athletic director gave the team a great talk about following through the season. It was the best year for retention. May have to do that again in the future.

I'm still in high school but we have a rule that if you quit then you can't try out again (except if you had to quit bc of injury or something.) That keeps people from quitting for basketball season for us. It wouldn't help with seniors but for underclassmen you might retain more?

Wish it was that easy. As a D3 school we do not give athletic scholarships nor do we travel with sports teams. The worst thing is the school does pay for our Nationals and comp fees. I'm worried if this continues we are going to lose that funding. Last season the athletic director gave the team a great talk about following through the season. It was the best year for retention. May have to do that again in the future.
Yeah it sounds like you are in a tough spot. The kids probably feel that the school doesn't support them but in reality that funding for nationals I'm sure is a great amount! I wish the athletes that have quit could take a step back to really see the consequences of their lack of commitment.

Blame it on the ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-alcohol...

In all seriousness though, are they mostly freshmen quitting? We never had anyone quit mid-season, but athletes wouldn't come back second season because they were too passionate about partying or they joined Greek life.

Blame it on the ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-alcohol...

In all seriousness though, are they mostly freshmen quitting? We never had anyone quit mid-season, but athletes wouldn't come back second season because they were too passionate about partying or they joined Greek life.

This is very true!

I have the same issue where I coach and I am trying to come up with a way to fix this. Someone once suggested that I require the girls to pay money upfront and if they complete the season they get their money back. Not quite sure how I feel about this. I do like the rule about not being able to try out again once you quit. My other issue is that people don't seek out our University specifically for cheerleading. Its more because of an academic program, and then cheering is a bonus. We are also DIII so we can't give scholarships either. The other issue I face is I get a TON of inquiry about tryouts and then when tryouts roll around, a lot of people don't come- mostly incoming freshman. Many tell me its because they want to see how school is going to be or they don't want to be overwhelmed. I am trying to find ways to restructure our program and put it on the map.

I have the same issue where I coach and I am trying to come up with a way to fix this. Someone once suggested that I require the girls to pay money upfront and if they complete the season they get their money back. Not quite sure how I feel about this. I do like the rule about not being able to try out again once you quit. My other issue is that people don't seek out our University specifically for cheerleading. Its more because of an academic program, and then cheering is a bonus. We are also DIII so we can't give scholarships either. The other issue I face is I get a TON of inquiry about tryouts and then when tryouts roll around, a lot of people don't come- mostly incoming freshman. Many tell me its because they want to see how school is going to be or they don't want to be overwhelmed. I am trying to find ways to restructure our program and put it on the map.
Just a random thought that might help when you restructure, is to have academics as a focus on your program as well(if you don't have it already) Such as having a study hall time for all freshmen, checking grades through the semester and keeping students academically engaged. Being able to "sell" those services to parents and athletes might have them realize that being part of a program can help keep them focused in school and you may get a few more.

Back