Roundoffs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
So I have a back walkover, a back handspring, and a back tuck. I have an issue though. I have yet to grasp the concept of a roundoff... I just don't understand when people explain it to me. Can someone try and explain it?

It's just like a cartweel with you legs together

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

Threadstarter:
Looks like you have already some tumbling experience, did you ask your coach about the right technique for round-offs?
Also search for videos on youtube for round-offs and drills.

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

Threadstarter:
Looks like you have already some tumbling experience, did you ask your coach about the right technique for round-offs?
Also search for videos on youtube for round-offs and drills.

True, it's not THAT simple. But she isn't wrong either. Though, please note that the legs come together at the middle of the skill, and are not together through the beginning of the skill.

I'll briefly try to explain a round-off for you. Then I'll give you a few tricks or drills to help master it.

Like a cartwheel, the round-off could start in a lunge, or a hurdle entry. But for simplicity's sake, lets stick to a lunge entry.

• Start in a lunge. (start with dominant leg in front, arms by ears, and a straight line running from your finger tips to your back leg.
  • pivot over your front leg, reaching out, maintaining the straight body line mentioned in step 1, while driving your back heel overhead.
  • Your body will turn over your hands in the same direction as your front leg. To do this, your first and (hand that on the same side as your front leg) should turn 1/4 a turn. Your second hand will turn 1/2 turn, so that your fingers of that hand face the direction in which you came from. As you place your second hand down, shrug through both shoulders in a "popping" or "blocking" movement.
  • while your second hand is being set down, your feet should be snapping together, and your should be moving through a tight arched handstand position.
  • drive your toes through the " tight arched" handstand position, while blocking through your shoulders, to create a snap-down (or snap-up, depending on how your think about it) movement much like the end of a back handspring.
  • REBOUND!

Well that's certainly a lot harder to process that watching it... at least for me. But it may click with you. But just in case it doesn't, here are a few drills to help you feel what to do.

• Do a cartwheel off the end of a panel mat. Repeat while trying to bring your feet together sooner, and getting your hands off the mat faster.
  • Tie a resistance band around both of your legs. The harder your drive your legs apart when doing a cartwheel, the harder the band will snap them together. After a few tries, attempt to mimic the effect the band has on your legs on your own without it.
  • Do a cartwheel and pop off your hands to stand up faster. (this helps you with the blocking movement, not so much the snapping feet together part)
Anyways, hope this helps!
-Coach Matt

True, it's not THAT simple. But she isn't wrong either. Though, please note that the legs come together at the middle of the skill, and are not together through the beginning of the skill.

I'll briefly try to explain a round-off for you. Then I'll give you a few tricks or drills to help master it.

Like a cartwheel, the round-off could start in a lunge, or a hurdle entry. But for simplicity's sake, lets stick to a lunge entry.

• Start in a lunge. (start with dominant leg in front, arms by ears, and a straight line running from your finger tips to your back leg.
  • pivot over your front leg, reaching out, maintaining the straight body line mentioned in step 1, while driving your back heel overhead.
  • Your body will turn over your hands in the same direction as your front leg. To do this, your first and (hand that on the same side as your front leg) should turn 1/4 a turn. Your second hand will turn 1/2 turn, so that your fingers of that hand face the direction in which you came from. As you place your second hand down, shrug through both shoulders in a "popping" or "blocking" movement.
  • while your second hand is being set down, your feet should be snapping together, and your should be moving through a tight arched handstand position.
  • drive your toes through the " tight arched" handstand position, while blocking through your shoulders, to create a snap-down (or snap-up, depending on how your think about it) movement much like the end of a back handspring.
  • REBOUND!

Well that's certainly a lot harder to process that watching it... at least for me. But it may click with you. But just in case it doesn't, here are a few drills to help you feel what to do.

• Do a cartwheel off the end of a panel mat. Repeat while trying to bring your feet together sooner, and getting your hands off the mat faster.
  • Tie a resistance band around both of your legs. The harder your drive your legs apart when doing a cartwheel, the harder the band will snap them together. After a few tries, attempt to mimic the effect the band has on your legs on your own without it.
  • Do a cartwheel and pop off your hands to stand up faster. (this helps you with the blocking movement, not so much the snapping feet together part)
Anyways, hope this helps!
-Coach Matt

I knew you could explain it a lot better than me ;-)

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'm getting the hang of it! I wish asking my tumbling coach was a possibility, but Michigan cheer is focused on standing tumbling, not running. He is more worried about getting our standing tumbling solid than helping people with running.

how do you have a back tuck but not a roundoff? im confused as to how a tumbling coach would let your progress to advanced skills when you don't have the skill of a tiny level 1 team.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

how do you have a back tuck but not a roundoff? im confused as to how a tumbling coach would let your progress to advanced skills when you don't have the skill of a tiny level 1 team.

Your last sentence was kinda rude, don't you think? Be considerate and kind.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

She said that she cheers in Michigan and Michigan cheerleading is a whole different playing field. A whole routine is comprised of only standing tumbling skills plus cheering. There is a third round where running tumbling is allowed, but it is not required or necessary to win competitions at all. My tumbling coaches also focused on my standing tumbling and running tumbling was only introduced when I needed something new to work on. This was the case with at least three different tumbling coaches.

But good luck OP!! I had trouble with my round offs as well but with a litttle spotting and direction I got the hang of it :)

Your last sentence was kinda rude, don't you think? Be considerate and kind.

no it wasn't. i was curious as to how she progressed to advanced skills without basic foundations. another poster informed me her state's cheerleading program is very unique. i asked a question and it was answered.

no it wasn't. i was curious as to how she progressed to advanced skills without basic foundations. another poster informed me her state's cheerleading program is very unique. i asked a question and it was answered.

All I'm saying is I would be offended if someone called me out for not having "the skill of a tiny level 1 team." I'm sure you didn't mean it rudely but make sure you read things over a bit before you post.

You might try Coach Meggin's youtube tutorials. She's a former cheerleader, fantastic gymnast, professional stuntwoman and all-around really cool coach:

Good luck!!!

I can tell you that I have some advanced tumbling skills and not the basics. I can't walkover, but can BHS, tuck and do these skills out of RO's. I did gymnastics as a kid but never went far. I began tumbling in my late 20's and got my latest skill in my mid-30's. I will never walkover, and my BHS aren't great cos I don't have great shoulder flexibility. But when you can't work up the levels (I started cheering in HS and have only even cheered level 6), you tend to learn skills that are more suited to your team. My standing tuck is better than my BHS cos I an use the power in my legs and good technique to pull the skill. My BHS aren't great due to poor shoulder flexibility and my walkovers are non-existent. It happens for some of us. I'd never recommend it for a kid though. They should absolutely progress through the levels on track.

And I do wish I could do more and probably haven't learned other skills due to my poor technique on some. For example, my RO BHS isn't strong and I can't tuck after, but my RO Tucks are fantastic. I'll just probably never learn a RO BHS tuck, which I'm not happy about. But I'm getting old too, and should probably stop tumbling soon as it's starting to hurt.

Sorry to thread jack OP. :)

Back