Skills Help Urgent

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 24, 2014
hello i am currently level 1 cheerleader, i should have been moved up to level 2 this year but i got kept down for some unknown reason, i find cheer very boring as i have all the skills needed i am working on handsprings and i almost have my back handspring on the floor but,
my gym is taking Level 3 to NCA next year and i know that if i work hard enough i could try get all level 3 skills before the end of the year which is when tryouts are.
so if someone could please help on tips on how to get back handsrpings, tucks (front and back) and aerials, and tips for connecting these skills (e.g r/0 bhs back tuck) please help i really need to improve
What are good ways i can improve myself?

hello i am currently level 1 cheerleader, i should have been moved up to level 2 this year but i got kept down for some unknown reason, i find cheer very boring as i have all the skills needed i am working on handsprings and i almost have my back handspring on the floor but,
my gym is taking Level 3 to NCA next year and i know that if i work hard enough i could try get all level 3 skills before the end of the year which is when tryouts are.
so if someone could please help on tips on how to get back handsrpings, tucks (front and back) and aerials, and tips for connecting these skills (e.g r/0 bhs back tuck) please help i really need to improve
If you don't quite have a handspring yet, that could be the reason you are still on a level 1 team, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being on a level 1 team as it is a basic level 2 skill. The best way to improve is to practice either through privates with coaches or through open gyms. More than likely you won't be able to practice new skills at team practices. Remember though that team placements have a lot more to it than just tumbling, so you will need to be able to stunt/jump/dance at a level 3 level as well, which is a lot different than levels 1/2. It may take a couple years to get there, or you may get there next year.

Try to get in as much practice as you can. If extra tumbling classes or privates are an option for you then take advantage of them. Do conditioning and drills on your own at home when you can. Strengthening the muscles used in tumbling will help you progress faster and will help you out in cheer overall.

Also keep in mind that making any level team isn't always all about tumbling. There are other factors that go into an athletes placement. Stunting and jumps are equally important. Personal, non-cheer related qualities are important, too. Do you take corrections well? Are you reliable? Are you committed to the team? Are you a good leader for the other athletes? Are you a hard worker? People with these qualities are probably great candidates for the NCA team at your gym. So if, for some reason, you don't have all of your level 3 skills, make sure that these things really stand out to your coaches because they might be willing to overlook your tumbling if they think you can bring other great things to the team.

Remember, teams are made up of all kinds of people. Good luck!

Please don't rush these skills. If you don't have a BHS yet, barring some exceptional circumstance, you likely belong in level 1. A BHS is the most basic level 2 skill. For a level 2 team you need standing and running BHS combination skills. Average time from BHS to tuck is typically a year although there are exceptions. Instead of focusing on getting the next skill, focus on doing everything with good technique. Rushing when you are not ready leads to getting hurt. You need a standing 3 BHS and a solid round off series BHS before you try to tuck. Even if you don't make level 3 this year, you will be better off in the long run with solid technique than getting it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Why should you have been moved up to level 2? I'm curious to know what you think.
2. What are all the skills you have for level 2, since you tell us that you have all of them?
3. It's really hard for us to help you since we don't know what your technique looks like. The best way is working with a tumbling coach and taking all the time you need to developp clean technique. As said before, DON'T RUSH.

So you almost have a BHS but you want to be Level 3 by the end of this coming season?

Please take your time.

Kids who rush through tumbling end up encountering one or more of the following things:

1. They rush, get frustrated, and burn out because don't have a tuck in 3 weeks.

2. They hit the skill on a fluke and never again.

3. They develop AWFUL technique that is a pain to fix.

4. They get injured or fall trying to rush to throw a skill, get a complete mental block, and can't tumble AT ALL.

5. They throw it, make the team, but end up being "that girl" on the team with the inconsistent tumbling that can't be put in the routine. Or they're constantly worried about being replaced because their tumbling is the weakest on the team. For example, would you want to be on the Level 3 team if every second, you were wondering if you were going to land your tuck in the routine or if your coach was going to pull you entirely?

Latest posts

Back