All-Star Struggling to find a place in cheer as open-aged athlete without higher level skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2016
Hi! :)

Honestly not sure what I want to get out of this, but I just wanted to see if anyone has had any sort of promising experience cheering at lower levels later in life? and if not I wanted to atleast get some feelings out that have been bothering me a lot recently as I approach turning 21:
The background information is that I’m really terrible at cheerleading. Not in a I lack a bit of confidence but I’m actually okay way, but in a I’m in my 11th season and still can’t stunt or tumble level 2 way. Something about cheerleading never clicked for me- I’ve been working my back handspring with no success for about 6 years, and I’m that awkward in between backspot and base height where I’m a different position every year and have never managed to get good at anything. My jumps have never been more than an inch off the floor and I don’t have the coordination for dance. I’ve tried everything to get better- I’m in the gym 4 nights a week, I’m going to every open gym and tumbling class, I trained for a marathon to improve my fitness, I’m going to pilates classes for strength and flexibility, but it just never clicks for me. I’m trying to be honest with myself- I can’t tell I’m the weak link in every team I’ve been on, and I’m getting to a point where I don’t have anything left in me to progress- I’ve totally burnt out from trying to keep up with the abilities of everyone around me.

That aside, though, I’m content with the fact that cheerleading isn’t for me. I know not everyone’s destined for level 6, and I’ve been plenty happy focusing on level 1 and 2 skills and working hard to do what I can. I still have a lot of fun and feel like training is really fulfilling. But, I’m about to turn 21, and it feels like I’m at the age where If I’m not at a worlds level, there’s not a place for me in cheerleading. I love cheerleading- it’s been my entire life. But there just aren’t low level open teams, and once I graduate and can no longer cheer level 1/2 with my club at university, it feels like there’s nothing left for me. I don’t want to give up cheerleading, but I’m just really struggling to find an opportunity to keep going. Has anyone managed to find ways to stay involved with cheerleading at a lower level once they got a bit older? I don’t have the skills for an open 4 or a non-tumble team, but that seems like that’s all there is.

Sorry this all a bit long, just been struggling a little lately and wanted to see if anyones ever been in the same boat? It’s rough watching people who’ve cheered half as long as you winning worlds and wondering if you had tried just a little bit harder if you could have been there too :(

Hey! I know how you feel! I started cheer when I was 13 and just honestly was never going to get any tumble skills. Highest level I've competed at is level 3 and that was with my uni team and no one had any tumble skills so it was OK (back before NT was even thought of). I can't even round off!

I'm not sure where you are based but I'm in the UK and currently you can compete on a "senior" team at any age, allowing people in their 20s to continue to compete on senior 1/2 etc. From next season they are introducing a rule that you can't have more than a 10 year age gap from your youngest to oldest athlete on senior teams which will sadly leave a lot of lower level older cheerleaders in the exact same position as you.

Over the last few years "Masters" level has become really popular in the UK with both older, formally retired cheerleaders and adults new to the sport. Masters teams are for 17+ and 75% of the team needs to be over 25. Currently it's available on our division grid here at levels 1 and 2. I'm not sure if they have this division anywhere else in the world but definitely think it should be everywhere!

We started a masters team at our gym this year. It's level 1 and I absolutely love it. We are a mix of former cheerleaders/current coaches, parents of younger kids on our programme and some who are completely new and coming to cheer for the first time as an adult. Youngest on the team is 18 and oldest is in their 50s! I have so much fun at our practices and we do all the same competitions our non-travel teams do. It's just been a really great way to get back in to the sport without the pressure of an elite level team. We still push to include all the elite skills for our level where we can too.

Sorry this reply probably isn't much help but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I'll never compete at Worlds either and it's definitely not because you haven't put in the work. By the sounds of it you've been working really hard to try and improve your skills and you sound so passionate about the sport which is really what's actually important.

Have you considered coaching if masters/adult teams aren't a thing where you are? I really found a whole new love for cheer through coaching. This year the kids I coach are going to the Summit for the first time and I am so glad that they are getting to live out the experiences I only wish I'd been able to have.

I wish we had master's teams. I loved it when I was on a parent team at the gym, but COVID killed that.

Honestly, I'd love to be able to join a team like in the movie POMS, just for the fun of it.

Hey! I know how you feel! I started cheer when I was 13 and just honestly was never going to get any tumble skills. Highest level I've competed at is level 3 and that was with my uni team and no one had any tumble skills so it was OK (back before NT was even thought of). I can't even round off!

I'm not sure where you are based but I'm in the UK and currently you can compete on a "senior" team at any age, allowing people in their 20s to continue to compete on senior 1/2 etc. From next season they are introducing a rule that you can't have more than a 10 year age gap from your youngest to oldest athlete on senior teams which will sadly leave a lot of lower level older cheerleaders in the exact same position as you.

Over the last few years "Masters" level has become really popular in the UK with both older, formally retired cheerleaders and adults new to the sport. Masters teams are for 17+ and 75% of the team needs to be over 25. Currently it's available on our division grid here at levels 1 and 2. I'm not sure if they have this division anywhere else in the world but definitely think it should be everywhere!

We started a masters team at our gym this year. It's level 1 and I absolutely love it. We are a mix of former cheerleaders/current coaches, parents of younger kids on our programme and some who are completely new and coming to cheer for the first time as an adult. Youngest on the team is 18 and oldest is in their 50s! I have so much fun at our practices and we do all the same competitions our non-travel teams do. It's just been a really great way to get back in to the sport without the pressure of an elite level team. We still push to include all the elite skills for our level where we can too.

Sorry this reply probably isn't much help but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I'll never compete at Worlds either and it's definitely not because you haven't put in the work. By the sounds of it you've been working really hard to try and improve your skills and you sound so passionate about the sport which is really what's actually important.

Have you considered coaching if masters/adult teams aren't a thing where you are? I really found a whole new love for cheer through coaching. This year the kids I coach are going to the Summit for the first time and I am so glad that they are getting to live out the experiences I only wish I'd been able to have.
Thank you that's such a helpful insight! I love that you've been able to continue with cheerleading with your masters team and coaching❤️

I'm in New Zealand and our senior caps at 18 (and I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable by being on a team with mostly children anyway) but I'm doing a year studying abroad in the UK in August so I might look into any senior/masters teams, as I don't have the required tumbling skills for the uni I'm going to :)

I've honestly never thought of coaching nor do I think I'd be any good at it, but I've always secretly wanted to be a judge so maybe I'll do something with that one day

Thank you that's such a helpful insight! I love that you've been able to continue with cheerleading with your masters team and coaching❤️

I'm in New Zealand and our senior caps at 18 (and I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable by being on a team with mostly children anyway) but I'm doing a year studying abroad in the UK in August so I might look into any senior/masters teams, as I don't have the required tumbling skills for the uni I'm going to :)

I've honestly never thought of coaching nor do I think I'd be any good at it, but I've always secretly wanted to be a judge so maybe I'll do something with that one day
Feel free to DM me with where you're going and I'll have a look for teams in the area for you. I'm genuinely surprised that your uni team here has tumbling requirements as I would say a good amount of people on uni teams here are brand new to cheer!

You might surprise yourself with the coaching :) you don't need to be able to do the skills to coach them successfully, just understand the theory behind it and be able to convey that to your athletes. I'd also love to be a judge :)

Where in the UK will you be studying? have you thought about partner stunting? I’m sure you will be able to find a masters team - often ex cheerleaders in these teams and real mixed ability (or open senior team) Have you asked the uni about the tumbling requirement ? it may be that not all the team has to tumble. Good Luck 💪🏼

Where in the UK will you be studying? have you thought about partner stunting? I’m sure you will be able to find a masters team - often ex cheerleaders in these teams and real mixed ability (or open senior team) Have you asked the uni about the tumbling requirement ? it may be that not all the team has to tumble. Good Luck 💪🏼
I'll be in Edinburgh :)

I've never really considered partner stunting (I'm not particularly strong and have issues with hyperextending elbows that make stunting kind of hard, although I suppose I've never tried) but I'll have a look around for masters/open teams- that sounds like a good idea and cool that you have that in the UK! Thank you!

So Edinburgh Uni has eucd Vixens that cheer at level 1,2 and 3 so sounds like that might be a great option for you.

You may want to get in touch with your uni cheer coach and see if you could help out in ANY way possible. Like possibly an alternate or maybe even ask if they would ever let someone on the team without tumbling. Maybe you could be team mangaer, or something. Idk if this sounds dumb but some teams have team moms and maybe you could the team coordinater. The judge idea sounds so fun! I’ve always wondered how they sit for so long and keep up consistent judging all day :)

I wish we had master's teams. I loved it when I was on a parent team at the gym, but COVID killed that.

Honestly, I'd love to be able to join a team like in the movie POMS, just for the fun of it.
I feel the same way. I've been dying for them to bring back the parent team here. They tease it every couple of years, now they are actually doing a parent performance at our prep end of year showcase. I have said since CP started that if Open 1 was a thing, I'd try out in a heartbeat.

Late reply here....

I honestly love how the UK and Australia have Open/Adult/Masters divisions in lower levels, as it opens up doors to the sport for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to join a team unless they have high level stunt or tumble skills. Sure, we'll never get to Worlds or Summit, but that's not the end of the world.

I'm in Australia and started cheerleading in my late 20s, and even though I have a gymnastics background, I'm never likely going to get any tumble skills harder than a tuck. I've been basing every year since I started in mainly level 1 & 2 NT teams, but like @Charley I'm an awkward height where all of my fellow bases and flyers are a bit taller than me. I've got to rely on coaches being willing to put me with a taller base (who then has to adapt to my height) in a NT team or get my level 2 tumble skills back so that I can have a place in a tumbling team as a tumbler if I can't base with anyone easily.

@Charley I really hope you get to cheer while you're over in the UK for university. If not, you're always welcome to head over the ditch to Australia. We have plenty of adult and open NT teams for you to choose from 😊

I’m chiming in because I get what you’re going through, being in a similar position of turning 21 in a matter of days.

Out of high school, I did open NT level 6 teams. I started comp cheer at 14 (did sideline in middle school because that was all they offered) and didn’t have the money for tumbling privates, so the highest tumbling I ever got was a front/back walkover. The first NT team I did was coed … I’m a backspot, but all of the others were guys. I only joined the team because someone quit.

The next year, I went for a more competitive team at the same level at a bigger gym. Made tryouts, could do every skill asked of me (stunting wise and jump-wise, as I am a great jumper), but when it came down to it, I was the shortest backspot there (5’7”) and was asked to base. Obviously, having never based more than an extension, I couldn’t do level 6 basing overnight and became an alternate. It was heartbreaking to feel that all the time and money invested into this sport I loved had been for nothing.

My advice? Try coaching. I’m going into my 4th season as a coach, and it helps to fill that void. Unfortunately, no one can compete a sport forever, and some people are blessed with starting earlier than others, but if you still love the sport and want to be involved, coaching is where it’s at. This is the job I have because I love it, the one I get up for in the morning because I love my kids and I love our sport.

Back