OT Stunned Into Silence By This Video

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Ok - so a couple of thoughts.

1 - THIS is why my CP will not be doing JH or HS cheer. I'd like to see what this would look like on a spring floor.

2 - I can't imagine bases not trying to catch the girl and at least breaking her fall a little to cause the force to be less.

3 - But we're still not a sport huh???

I'd like to know the force of impact from a hard basket catch and also incomplete twisting baskets. I know I've been knocked around a fair bit learning kick dub baskets without even touching the spring floor.

Reactions: Ems
This comment is probably going to come off rather rude, but why pick UC Irvines cheer team? If they wanted a team in the LA area why not go for Glendale? I don't mean to hate on them, but they're not the best representation of collegiate cheerleading. Plus I can't stand bad toe-touch baskets and the slow-mo really highlights it... And the uniforms? Really?

I'd like to know the force of impact from a hard basket catch and also incomplete twisting baskets. I know I've been knocked around a fair bit learning kick dub baskets without even touching the spring floor.
I'd like to know too. I've caught some flipping baskets really hard on my chest (I'm a back) from flyers not opening up and slowing their flip after they complete it. And catching a basket hard is much more likely than a flyer being not caught at all.

Ok - so a couple of thoughts.

1 - THIS is why my CP will not be doing JH or HS cheer. I'd like to see what this would look like on a spring floor.

2 - I can't imagine bases not trying to catch the girl and at least breaking her fall a little to cause the force to be less.

3 - But we're still not a sport huh???
1. I would hope that these kinds of stunts aren't the normal set in HS and JH cheer.
2. Some of the footage looks like they tried to catch some of the girls who fell, and to my eyes, things came out worse due to getting *part* of her body, and letting the head/neck impact the floor even harder.
3. IKR?

Cheerleading is dangerous. We all know. On the dead mat or the sideline of a football field even more than on spring floor.

It´s an interesting video, but the first though i had:
Tackling in football is planned, they practise this, it´s part of the game.
The body slam in wrestling (sorry if it was another sport, for me it looked like a wrestler), is practised, it´s part of the sport.
A back tuck basket is a part of cheerleading. It´s practised - but it´s not part of our sport to let a flyer hit the ground. Althought it happens, it´s not ment to.

So when a flyer hits the ground from a basket toss without beeing caught or slowed down by anyone is the worst case - a football tackle isn´t.

I get what they tried to "prove", but i think you can´t compare.

So: Yes, it would be much more interesting to find out, how the impact is when you catch a hard basket, for flyers and for bases/backspots. This is a situation that happens way more often.

This comment is probably going to come off rather rude, but why pick UC Irvines cheer team? If they wanted a team in the LA area why not go for Glendale? I don't mean to hate on them, but they're not the best representation of collegiate cheerleading. Plus I can't stand bad toe-touch baskets and the slow-mo really highlights it... And the uniforms? Really?

I'd like to know too. I've caught some flipping baskets really hard on my chest (I'm a back) from flyers not opening up and slowing their flip after they complete it. And catching a basket hard is much more likely than a flyer being not caught at all.

Because at one point (before Glendale), we WERE a good representation of collegiate sideline cheer. Without getting into details, that year was the begining of the end of a solid, non-competitive program. I'm not on the team in the video...I jumped ship for Lv. 6 that year because I wanted to compete.

And those aren't our uniforms. I think there is a licensing issue with UC logos. We had to cover the UCI on the set of Bring it On.

Because at one point (before Glendale), we WERE a good representation of collegiate sideline cheer. Without getting into details, that year was the begining of the end of a solid, non-competitive program. I'm not on the team in the video...I jumped ship for Lv. 6 that year because I wanted to compete.

And those aren't our uniforms. I think there is a licensing issue with UC logos. We had to cover the UCI on the set of Bring it On.
Oh, what a bummer. It's so sad when programs start to fade...
And yeah, I figured that the uniforms weren't their actual uniforms, but they (the producers or whoever was in charge of wardrobe) couldn't have put in a little more effort? I'd rather see some black shorts and a shirt over those things.

Somehow I am not surprised at all by these findings. It's such a bummer that bases are selfish enough to be scared of catching their flyer or the flyer is scared of a skill and doesn't complete it causing these injuries.

Somehow I am not surprised at all by these findings. It's such a bummer that bases are selfish enough to be scared of catching their flyer or the flyer is scared of a skill and doesn't complete it causing these injuries.
I don't think that was the point of the video. I really think it was an attempt to see how much force would be inflicted if the bases missed catching the flier.

And that's not talking about a partial miss, where the body is coming down flat, and the the legs are caught, but something happens and the arms to catch the head/neck miss and the flier is rotated out of position, and unready for the hit.

Oh, what a bummer. It's so sad when programs start to fade...
And yeah, I figured that the uniforms weren't their actual uniforms, but they (the producers or whoever was in charge of wardrobe) couldn't have put in a little more effort? I'd rather see some black shorts and a shirt over those things.

Yeah, it makes me really sad. I went back the year after I did allstars to the new coach, and it was just horrible. She really killed it.

Back